Pokemon Scarlet / Violet performance issues

Windsall

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
For those that have seen or tried the game, what do you think of the state of it?

I'm disappointed in the pokemon company for how it is at base game. I thought a big release like this would be higher quality. It has tons to offer but the frame rate makes it hard to enjoy enjoy moving around in the environment. To me that's the biggest problem right now. It looks fine when standing still, but it doesn't feel 30fps at all when moving around, and there's tons of dips everywhere, it's weird.

The textures look worse than I thought too (I'm usually not too picky), I thought it would look fine but it feels worse than gamecube textures right now, and the shadows act up too. (i know they lowered the quality to manage the open world, but still) And some of the textures in the world sometimes just pop out of nowhere, not a smooth fading in.
It just feels very unpolished. Even when throwing out a pokemon in the field, it appears way later than the animation of the pokemon opening up, I don't understand how that could go through testing when it's so obvious and looks bad.

I'm sure there's lots of strengths to the game and I don't want to say it's just bad since it isn't, but it's glaring enough how these things are, at least to me.
I hope that a day 1 patch could somehow fix a lot of it, and I'll still play it (I pre-ordered it) but the performance feels underwhelming for sure to me.

Thoughts?

Valwinz

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
For those that have seen or tried the game, what do you think of the state of it?

I'm disappointed in the pokemon company for how it is at base game. I thought a big release like this would be higher quality. It has tons to offer but the frame rate makes it hard to enjoy enjoy moving around in the environment. To me that's the biggest problem right now. It looks fine when standing still, but it doesn't feel 30fps at all when moving around, and there's tons of dips everywhere, it's weird.

The textures look worse than I thought too (I'm usually not too picky), I thought it would look fine but it feels worse than gamecube textures right now, and the shadows act up too. (i know they lowered the quality to manage the open world, but still) And some of the textures in the world sometimes just pop out of nowhere, not a smooth fading in.
It just feels very unpolished. Even when throwing out a pokemon in the field, it appears way later than the animation of the pokemon opening up, I don't understand how that could go through testing when it's so obvious and looks bad.

I'm sure there's lots of strengths to the game and I don't want to say it's just bad since it isn't, but it's glaring enough how these things are, at least to me.
I hope that a day 1 patch could somehow fix a lot of it, and I'll still play it (I pre-ordered it) but the performance feels underwhelming for sure to me.

Thoughts?
the FPS are horrible and the slowdown really anoying
in places looks really bad

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Thoughts?

That how version 1.0.0 of pokemon game are lol

AlterZero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I doubt a patch can fix anything, performance issues are most likely on the hardware itself.

Nintendo has never made powerful hardware, they have always been generations behind Sony and Microsoft, maybe next year if they decide to launch their next console it will be powerful enough to move games faster, I wouldn't hold my breath though, it's Nintendo after all.

You can always try an emulator in a fast enough computer, that'd give the best performance.

Reactions: cloud-strife777

Windsall

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That how version 1.0.0 of pokemon game are lol
Even Arceus was much better and it was open world too. Even if not perfect at all, it felt ok to run around.

I doubt a patch can fix anything, performance issues are most likely on the hardware itself.

Nintendo has never made powerful hardware, they have always been generations behind Sony and Microsoft, maybe next year if they decide to launch their next console it will be powerful enough to move games faster, I wouldn't hold my breath though, it's Nintendo after all.

You can always try an emulator in a fast enough computer, that'd give the best performance.

I mean, there's plenty of other games that look and play fine, by nintendo. This is the pokemon company but they should be asking for help if they don't know how to make the best of the hardware. imo

Valwinz

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico

stop this the issue is not the hardware

Windsall

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It vary each game, Sword and Shield was very buggy. Also BDSP version 1.0.0 was very buggy too, post game content wasn't even in the game.
Yeah BDSP wans't complete, though it could maybe be excused due to another company working on it. Not that it's a good excuse xD. I think of pokemon as a big series that would deserve good quality control, so I expect better.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah BDSP wans't complete, though it could maybe be excused due to another company working on it. Not that it's a good excuse xD. I think of pokemon as a big series that would deserve good quality control, so I expect better.

BDSP was a different story, it was developed by ILCA not by Gamefreak, while PLA was developed by Gamefreak, obviously the quality is a lot different.

Windsall

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
BDSP was a different story, it was developed by ILCA not by Gamefreak, while PLA was developed by Gamefreak, obviously the quality is a lot different.
Yeah is what I meant.
I can't comment on pokemon sword/shield though since I didn't try its base version.

AlterZero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just making a point, Pokemon games would benefit greatly from a better console.

I can only imagine what they would look like on a new console with PS5+ hardware capabilities.

Windsall

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

I can only imagine what they would look like on a new console with PS5+ hardware capabilities.

I do look forward to the next gen, which hopefully will still be portable too.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden

Pixelated because of all retro.

But the game should run good now. Else reviews could impact it in performance.
I think you need to overclock to see if it runs better but I doubt it.

mitrium

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Thoughts?
Get sys-clk and use this settings:

CPU: Do not overide
GPU: 691 Mhz
MEM: 1600 Mhz

That will give you full texture resolution, no frame drops and more overall stability without over-stressing the console
Enjoy! ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and I used neither my phone or my pc today
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I was out for most of the afternoon
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and the morning cuz school
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Although tomorrow is Labor Day which means I won't go to class which means I'll sleep well.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    is labor day different in venezuela than in america, or did time skip that far?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall...