Pokémon Legends: Arceus overview trailer released

With its release only a few weeks away, Nintendo has dropped a new overview trailer for Pokémon Legends: Arceus. While the trailer is only in Japanese, it still gives us a good look at the world and some game mechanics, like battling, catching Pokémon, and filling out the Pokédex.

While many have assumed that this would be the first open-world Pokémon game, this trailer shows that it will work more like a Monster Hunter game, with a base camp for preparation, and a small open-ended area where missions take place. This was also confirmed in a statement to Kotaku a few months ago.

In Pokémon Legends: Arceus, Jubilife Village will serve as the base for surveying missions. After receiving an assignment or a request and preparing for their next excursion, players will set out from the village to study one of the various open areas of the Hisui region. After they finish the survey work, players will need to return once more to prepare for their next task. We look forward to sharing more information about exploring the Hisui region soon.​
Pokémon Legends: Arceus will release January 28, 2022 for the Nintendo Switch.

Holybond

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Every Pokemon game was not an open world, an open world would imply you're free to take any path to get anywhere without restrictions. This is not possible in any Pokemon game, if you want to get anywhere, you must follow the predetermined path and you'd be lucky if they gave you an option for an alternative path (which is rare except for those puzzle routes). So your statement is false, every Pokemon game has a linear progression format, everyone takes the same path to reach the end.
I think the problem is with the overall design. As pokemon continued their formula, they put things more on rails than ever before. You're definitely correct and it wasn't open world. Gold and Silver allowed me to run into pretty much every patch of grass once I saw it, of course not the isolated ones separated by an HM move. Instead in Pokemon Sun and Moon, if I see a patch of grass, I'm stopped by an NPC telling me to go talk to a Kahuna. Ruins the experience to a degree. Mind you, there was no tree blocking my way, just an npc to the side.

Reactions: felix.200

Emperor_Norton

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah most likely. Who would've thought that the golden age of pokemon was the sprite art. Everyone was hyped with Pokemon coliseum and how the 3D was amazing for its time.
Worth noting that the Gen 1 & Gen 2 pokemon of Colosseum were recycled from the N64 Stadium entries, if marginally modified. The 3rd gen models were all new though. Still, I don't consider that much of a mark against the game as they looked pretty alright regardless.

Colosseum is by far my favorite entry in the series and was pretty much the last time the Pokemon Company ever really applied creativity and took risks with a release. It's a shame we'll never see anything like it again though. The suits seem to be intent on being uninspired and rushing things out the door to meet meaningless fiscal reports.

Reactions: Holybond

Holybond

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Worth noting that the Gen 1 & Gen 2 pokemon of Colosseum were recycled from the N64 Stadium entries, if marginally modified. The 3rd gen models were all new though. Still, I don't consider that much of a mark against the game as they looked pretty alright regardless.

Colosseum is by far my favorite entry in the series and was pretty much the last time the Pokemon Company ever really applied creativity and took risks with a release. It's a shame we'll never see anything like it again though. The suits seem to be intent on being uninspired and rushing things out the door to meet meaningless fiscal reports.
Yeah. What can you do, gaming just doesn't have that same feel that it had back in the day. Maybe I'm just getting older and/or games are just getting worse besides the few outliers that actually make you feel like you're playing a game and not a monetized or content cut experience. It's funny that people will shell out hundreds to thousands of dollars for what essentially amounts to emulation machines just to they can play older games but at their highest quality possible.

Reactions: CrAzYLiFe

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
This really feels like they designed the whole game engine and assets for the 3ds, and simply upscaled everything for the Switch.

Now about the gameplay itself, the game honestly looks pretty boring, even if it does look nice, there isn't much excitement from this.
Graphics aren't really bothering me either. I pretty much expected to see that.

Holybond

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This really feels like they designed the whole game engine and assets for the 3ds, and simply upscaled everything for the Switch.

Now about the gameplay itself, the game honestly looks pretty boring, even if it does look nice, there isn't much excitement from this.
Graphics aren't really bothering me either. I pretty much expected to see that.
Let's just hope it's not the One Piece:World Seeker of the Pokemon franchise.

Delerious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The gameplay looks decent, but the production quality of this game is horrendous! Here's hoping modders can do something about that if Yuzu compatibility isn't a big issue.

Holybond

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's wrong with that though?

I found world seeker pretty good for a manga based game.
It's perfectly fine if you enjoyed it! Some people enjoyed Brilliant Diamond. The joke/thing I'm referencing is that One Piece World Seeker is an empty open-ish world that's devoid of anything interesting to really do. For the limited amount of anime/manga based games we actually get translated over here. World Seeker just wasn't a good representation of what a One Piece game could've/should've been.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
It's perfectly fine if you enjoyed it! Some people enjoyed Brilliant Diamond. The joke/thing I'm referencing is that One Piece World Seeker is an empty open-ish world that's devoid of anything interesting to really do. For the limited amount of anime/manga based games we actually get translated over here. World Seeker just wasn't a good representation of what a One Piece game could've/should've been.

To be fair, both World Seeker and Diamond/Pearl were pretty good games. The majority had a favourable reaction to it.

I personally quite liked the remakes as well.

Holybond

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be fair, both World Seeker and Diamond/Pearl were pretty good games. The majority had a favourable reaction to it.

I personally quite liked the remakes as well.
I had no problems with the original diamond and pearl games. As for the remakes, eh. They don't really bother me but it shows the pattern of how Gamefreak cuts corners for their games. By staying faithfully true to the originals. They miss out on incorporating new quality of life changes. For example, the game keeps the original poketch navigation from the Diamond and Pearl DS games. Navigating through it, uses one button to cycle through the different apps. Where as in Platinum, they've added a button so you can go back and forth. A simple fix, but a fix nonetheless. Their hard-headed yearning to do the bare minimum for these "remakes" is quite astounding just to save money when they're a muti-billion dollar company.

Another thing that breaks the game is the new pokemon affection system which essentially removes any real form of difficulty or thought that a strategy game would take. Why put thought into anything when you know you have an increased chance of your pokemon just tanking a hit that would normally one-shot kill it? I think the remakes were a missed opportunity and by not even using the content from Platinum shows that they're more than happy with the lowest amount of effort as long as it ships out. Not to mention the game was unfinished when it was released needing several patches to bring it to a somewhat acceptable level.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    they killed LittleBigPlanet online, which was the main core of every LBP game
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for real
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    at least with them, it was because of the DDOS attacks, ubisoft was just scummy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP9YR4BXrzA