Pokemon HG/SS script help

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by †Nømura, Jul 20, 2013.

1. †Nømura
    OP

†Nømura Member

Newcomer
    Jun 21, 2013
    Italy
    I'm not sure whether this is the righ forum to post this.

As the title suggests, I have a problem with scripts in HG/SS.

I'm using a trigger to start a script were an overworld moves next to the player and starts the battle. But if i Add a message into the script, then when I test the rom the game freezes in the applymovement.

Is there any way to solve this?

2. Michielleus

Michielleus Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 20, 2012
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    If you're still looking for the answer, it's because you've scripted it with an unstable script editor. (PPRE 0.14)
    This causes maps to freeze whenever they have to load a movement. (Applymovement)
    To fix it, you need to open another script editor (such as PPRE 0.10), alter the script a bit, and then save it. It should remove movement issues.
    If you're going to edit the same place again with PPRE 0.14, the same thing will occur.

3. †Nømura
    OP

†Nømura Member

Newcomer
    Jun 21, 2013
    Italy

Ok, i've edited the script with PPRE 0.10, but i still get the crash. Any other ideas?

4. †Nømura
    OP

†Nømura Member

Newcomer
    Jun 21, 2013
    Italy
    Help...

5. JoJoMasta

JoJoMasta Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 18, 2014
    United States
    Yeah, (Idk if it is okay to wake this question up...) I would really like this question to get answered...It would be cool. I am haveing trouble with this as well....
    Thanks

6. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    I hear HG/SS is very buggy in emulators, and hacking the ROMs just sounds like a hit or miss...

7. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    It's not that it's buggy in emulators, a simple up-to-date version of Desmume fixes that very quickly. It's PPRE that's buggy. I tried working on a DS rom hack, but PPRE kept breaking scripts and I used many, many several backups. You'd probably be better off researching the script format on your own and hex editing your scripts.

8. Jayro

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Hmm... Maybe I'll stick to GBA rom hacking for a while then. :/

9. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    There's a 4th and 5th gen rom hacking app that's up and coming, called SDSME. It hasn't had a new release for a while, but I can easily contact the author in my spare time and pester him for a release. It has map export/import support, model editing support, and last I know, it could decompile scripts from the rom using PPRE's syntax.

JayRo likes this.
  10. Jayro

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    I like whatever editing tools the guy is using that worked on the Mario Sunshine hack for SM64DS... He really knows how to get shit DONE with those tools, whatever they are. :) And yeah, a new release that wouldn't break scripts would be sweet. :)

11. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    I think PPRE became abondonware as it wasn't getting any more support (It stopped at 0.14 or something like that). Unless you can decompile the application and make any new changes, you probably won't get a new release any time soon.

12. Jayro

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    I meant a SDSME release, it would be really nice. :)

13. †Nømura
    OP

†Nømura Member

Newcomer
    Jun 21, 2013
    Italy
    It's been a while since the last time I've tried to have this thing work.

Now that SDSME is out I gave it a shot and rewrote the whole script in the rom (which BTW I am
    copyright from the original HGSS since it's a Rival Battle, just requires a few numbers and coordinates to be edited), but I still get the same issue.

Anyone?