ROM Hack Pokemon Green, poorly translated.

Xarsah16

GBATemp's Official Village Dingus/Idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yea, I know, its a really old game. And the original was released only in Japan. The ROM I have, though is poorly translated, though so I was wondering if there was a better translation pack I could attach? Maybe in the .ips format if possible, though I don't know if it's possible. It's tough to understand what everyone was saying, and the pokémon were called PETs. It was weird and horrible.

Sonicandtails

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
That's because that is not a Pokémon game you are playing, but actually a pirate of another game that had to do with cell phones and stuff. It's a very common hack that gets tossed about. Basically, delete it or let it become bitrot.

EDIT: Then again, I could be wrong. I'm still pretty positive that the game you are playing is one of those pirates, but if it is an actual Pokémon game that just has poor translation, then it's authentic.

science

science rules
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's because that is not a Pokémon game you are playing, but actually a pirate of another game that had to do with cell phones and stuff. It's a very common hack that gets tossed about. Basically, delete it or let it become bitrot.

EDIT: Then again, I could be wrong. I'm still pretty positive that the game you are playing is one of those pirates, but if it is an actual Pokémon game that just has poor translation, then it's authentic.

Nope, you're thinking of Telefang.
Keitai Denj? Telefang

Pokémon Green was like Red and Blue, released only in Japan.

Pokémon Green

Xarsah16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
The pokemon green game I had downloaded had legit graphics and the translation seemed like it was somewhat relevant to the game. I grew up playing this game, and so I know what it should look like, sound like, etc. I want a correctly translated version, though because of the countless attacks and items in the game. I also wanted to play through with the original Japanese graphics and sprites, just for personal satisfaction.

Usually when there's a fake game out there, though, the adventure and graphics are completely different and you can tell it's fake. I remember there was a Pokemon Diamond claimed to be for the GB, but it was a hack and the game itself had nothing to do with Pokémon. They changed the file name and the title screen. (This was before the DS version of Diamond and Pearl were out in JP I think). Oh, and that telephone game mentioned- I think that was the fake Diamond that I'm thinking of! EDIT - Actually yea it is! I just clicked the link and that brought back memories.

So yea, if anyone's got a patch of some sort, maybe taken from the English red and blue games (I'm sure it would work) then I'd really appreciate it. Or if it isn't too hard for someone to make one - I'd love you forever.

mrgone

old man
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
if anyone would use its brain and look in wikipedia, he would see, that:

- pokemon blue first only came out in North america and europe
- pokemon green had pokemon blues place in japan
- pokemon blue came out afterwards in japan

=> so pokemon green is legit

Wikipedia/Pokemon

Xarsah16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
if anyone would use its brain and look in wikipedia, he would see, that:

- pokemon blue first only came out in North america and europe
- pokemon green had pokemon blues place in japan
- pokemon blue came out afterwards in japan

=> so pokemon green is legit

Wikipedia/Pokemon
wtf.gif

You stand corrected.

Red and Green (Pocket Monsters Aka & Midori) came out first.

Then Japan got the Blue version (Ao). Pocket Monsters Ao had better graphics than Aka and Midori did.

Ao was reprogrammed into two games and then released in the USA as Red and Blue.

Then the USA got the Yellow version, partially using the color pallates on the new Gameboy Colour, but still being compatible with the old 4 shades of gray brick.

The USA never received Aka and Midori in their original versions. I also believe the Unknown Dungeon (a.k.a. Cerulean Cave) was redone for the American release of Red and Blue. (And yellow following that later.)

What you posted above was not only incorrect, but nearly impossible to understand. Try to explain things a little better next time.
lecture.gif

And on a different note - anyone got that translation patch I need?
tongue.gif

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Isn't Pokemon: Leaf Green on the GBA the same game as Pokemon: Green in Japan? That's why we didn't have Water Blue or whatever.

Xarsah16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Not really. Pocket Monsters Midori (more commonly known here as the Green version) was never released in the USA. The graphics were noticeably different, most commonly in the sprites. The FireRed and LeafGreen remakes themselves were actually based off the American Red and Blue versions, but the titles FireRed and LeafGreen were based off the original Japanese games. Reason being that Red and Blue were more advanced versions of the pokémon games, but the series originated in Japan so they decided to stick with the original colors for the names, just updated. In comparison - I've picked up a copy of Red and started playing it again. The maps in FireRed and LeafGreen (excluding the Sevii Islands as those didn't exist back in 1996-1998 when the game was made) seem to be an exact copy of the Red and Blue ones from here in America, with more developed, coloured, and advanced tiles. The dialouge is generally the same too, and so are the positions of the trainers and the pokémon are in the same location.

And not only that, but if I wanted to play the Red and Blue versions again, and I lost my old strategy guide - I can use the FireRed and LeafGreen one for the game since it was an exact remake, just more updated like I had mentioned. It works the other way too.

larvi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The version I have is T-EnglishV0.02_LandaR and I've only played the start but it appears to be well translated. I don't have an IPS though, if some one can let me know of a utility that can create an IPS from the differences between this version and the original I can try to create one.

Xarsah16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't know. Maybe I'm just real anal, but I like near-perfect translations. Sure, the games have had small screw-ups in the official translations, even, but I don't want to be stuck reading through Engrish and trying to figure out what everything means.

You know what I'll do? I'll gather every little bit of text in a text document, and if someone wants to help out and program that into an ips patch, then I'd greatly appreciate it. It would be a new translation project, and it would definately help since every one of them really sucks. Whoever wants to work with me, drop me a PM for now until we can start a topic. I'm currently writing an FAQ on Pokémon team building, and although it shouldn't take long (it's written down on paper, and I've only gotta type it and proofread as I go along) I should be ready to start soon. Or if someone could extract the language from the 100% OFFICIAL English ROM of either FireRed/LeafGreen and eliminate the Sevii Islands coding, that would be pretty sweet too.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
The version I have is T-EnglishV0.02_LandaR and I've only played the start but it appears to be well translated. I don't have an IPS though, if some one can let me know of a utility that can create an IPS from the differences between this version and the original I can try to create one.
http://www.zophar.net/utilities/patchutil.html
I don't know if all of them can create IPS, but just search through the page for create and you'll find one
smile.gif

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Red and Green have quite a few misconceptions. I'll try to anwser them.
---

These two games came out in Japan first. They had an Unknown Dungeon layout, map tiles, and PC box style not seen outside Japan. The PC boxes were 8x30, rather than 12x20 as we're used to (same 240 total though).

The Pokemon back pics are virtually identical to Blue and Yellow, but it had different front pics. You can see both Red/Green and Blue style front pics in the Game Boy Camera gallery.

Also, Japanese carts of Red/Green/Blue were only 512KB. They used 1MB for Red/Blue elsewhere. Just like Gold/Silver and Ruby/Sapphire were doubled outside Japan without an explanation. Diamond/Pearl didn't however, they stayed the same size IIRC.

Furthermore... You cannot encounter wild Pokemon on either the Cinnabar or Seafoam coastlines in a legit Red or Green cartridge. Absolutely not! No encounters will be triggered at those locations under any conditions. This means the most well-known method of finding glitch Pokemon or item duplication won't work. But most other glitches carried over to international releases. Such as "Glitch City" or that invisible PC.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands

larvi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your welcome, glad I could help. I may have to put this on my GBC flashcart and give it a try, I never knew that there were differences between Japanese green and the US blue either.

Xarsah16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yea. There's supposed to be a little difference in the graphics, and then a huge difference in the sprites. And the Unknown Dungeon (Cerulean Cave) is supposed to be different too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users