Hacking pokemon cloning with gatway? needs 2 systems

asdfqwer426

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DISCLAIMER! i've never tried this, and i'm fairly new to the 3ds flash cart thing too. i dont think this will mess up saves, but i'm not responsible if it does.

i'm a big pokemon fan like many on here, and like some i have an interest in pokemon and item duplication. in previous gens, i've usually done it with save file backup/restores rather than sharking or shutting off when saving. less chance of issues.

in hearing how the gateway holds and saves its save files, i realized that it maybe possible to easily, albeit slowly, clone some pokemon and items. unfortunately, the method i have in mind requires 2 3ds systems and 2 games, i only have one system.

because the gateway save is not backed up to the sd card unless the system is shut down properly, you could possibly trade pokemon (or pokemon holding items like a masterball) to a second system, then PURPOSELY shut down the first system wrong so the save file won't be backed up to the sd.

from what i've read, the save is still held in the gateway card itself however, so a different game must be loaded and then shutdown first, so that the save file on the card is overwritten. then, once pokemon is booted back up, it should conceivably be the save from before the trades, which is still on the sd card. thus, both systems will have whatever pokemon and held items were traded.

regretfully i dont have 2 systems, so if someone that did wanted to try this and post back if it works or not, that would be great. as stated above, try at your own risk.

nicklesminer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A much simpler way without any chance of messing anything up would be to simply back up the pokemon x/y rom to your computer before trading and then placing the backed up copy back on your mico sd card afterwards and then you don't have to mess with anything else.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The save is written directly to the ROM, the only way to do it with the Gateway is to backup your ROM before you trade away what you want to clone then restore the backup.

MGS1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The save is written directly to the ROM, the only way to do it with the Gateway is to backup your ROM before you trade away what you want to clone then restore the backup.

Or you can just use the save extractor found on the Gateway community save file thread (sorry but I cannot recall who actually wrote the program) to extract your save for backup purposes. You can also use it to reinject the save back into the ROM later. This would take up considerably less space than backing up the entire ROM.

asdfqwer426

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ah, i understand now. i wasn't aware until now that the save was written into the rom file. with the scene still figuring things out daily, and most forums posts i read being months old, i missed these save file editor programs. definitely the way to go. thanks. i still think my method would work based on what i read, but the other methods are far simpler.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
ah, i understand now. i wasn't aware until now that the save was written into the rom file. with the scene still figuring things out daily, and most forums posts i read being months old, i missed these save file editor programs. definitely the way to go. thanks. i still think my method would work based on what i read, but the other methods are far simpler.
the save for pokemon is wrote as soon as it saves, its not like the other games where the save is transferred to the SD card upon exiting, when it saves in game, its saved, really just using the save extractor/injector is the easiest and quickest way

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: