Pokémon Spirit Gold: a small request

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Dann Woolf, Aug 28, 2011.

Aug 28, 2011
  1. Dann Woolf
    OP

Member Dann Woolf Deadpan Snarker

Netherlands
    I don't really like how the starters are replaced with the Hoenn starters. Would it be possible for someone (maybe even Drayano himself) to make a hack that restores the Johto starters, and edits Silver's teams accordingly? I tried doing it myself, but well... I wouldn't be asking here if I pulled it off, would I?

I know I don't have much to offer in return, but I would be really grateful if someone could do this for me.

2. coolness

Banned coolness PSN: Dutch_DarkLord

Netherlands
    I dunno how to do that but maybe this site have the tools for you?
    www.projectpokemon.org
    Suc6 hollander [​IMG]

3. Dann Woolf
    OP

Netherlands
    Like I said I tracked down different tools and took a shot at it, but it didn't go as planned.

I'm going to take another shot at it.

EDIT: OK, I thought I had done it right, but the starters are still the Hoenn starters. I don't know what I did wrong, but I'm clearly way out of my league here, so I'm left hoping that someone else will be kind enough to do this for me.

4. Dann Woolf
    OP

Netherlands
    I'm really sorry for double-posting and bumping this thread but I would be really happy if someone could do this for me.

5. Drayano

Member Drayano .

United Kingdom
    This is one of those things I was thinking of doing when I get back to doing SG :x

You need to open the ARM9 file of it, then change the FC 00 00 00 FF 00 00 00 02 01 00 00 string back to 98 00 00 00 9B 00 00 00 9E 00 00 00. There might be more 0s in between each though, but searching something like 'FC 00 00 00' is probably enough.

Then just save it and make sure it's back in the rom somehow.

6. pokehunter

Newcomer pokehunter Newbie

United States
    I liked the change of starters as it mixed things up a bit. is it really that much of a problem?..

7. Drayano

Member Drayano .

United Kingdom
    Well I originally had plans for allowing people to choose from Kanto/Johto/Hoenn/Sinnoh starters, but that kind of fell through when I screwed something up badly and had to trash the whole project ;x

I dunno, I'm not sure if it's a bad thing or not.

8. Dann Woolf
    OP

Netherlands
    You could have made four separate versions for each set of starters, but that might be too much work. I don't know, because as you've probably ascertained I'm no ROM hacking expert.

Also, that thing you suggested with the ARM9 file wouldn't edit Silver's teams. Also also, hex editing makes my brain hurt.

9. Drayano

Member Drayano .

United Kingdom
    I could have, yes, and I was intending to before half the upgraded version of the hack came crashing around my ears.

Yeah there's quite a lot you have to change for it to all work properly unfortunately due to the way the script runs in HGSS. Sorry :x

10. tlyee61

Member tlyee61 le dancing Tyranitar~

United States
    If you upload your savefile to MediaFire or something else, I could Pokesav it in for you.

11. Dann Woolf
    OP

Netherlands
    Oh. Well, shit. Guess I'll just have to live with having the Hoenn starters.

Thanks anyway.