Hacking Pls list the bricking games

Hanafuda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know Super Paper Mario is a potential bricker if an out of region version is used without having the console fully updated beforehand. What other games have the potential to do this? I'd like to see them listed on one place.

Maybe we could use a sticky for this?

Bloodgod

嵐の王
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Games don't brick the Wiis. Idiot users that install firmware updates not from their own region brick Wiis. Having an updated firmware in any region keeps you safe from ANY game checking/asking you to update.

Bloodgod

嵐の王
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Having an updated firmware in any region keeps you safe from ANY game checking/asking you to update.
Mind you: That has been true until now, but it is not a general rule. Nintendo can use or change the update mechanism as they please.

It's still the general rule. No games that have come out recently has bricked any Wii console with a 2.2 firmware. If you're so scared that nintendo will change it's way. You should be doing what I do. Don't be the test dummy when it comes to out of region games. Let others mess up while you sit back and wait for the reports to come in.

Hanafuda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I know that's true Bloodgod, but that really wasn't the point of me posting this, and perhaps I should have been more clear about it. I just thought it would be good to have a list so we could know which ISO's need the Brickblocker even if only as a prophylactic. (yes, odd choice of words, but correct) I know the Wii in my house is up to date, but it still wouldn't hurt to remove the update from by backups.

dalger01

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Having an updated firmware in any region keeps you safe from ANY game checking/asking you to update.
Mind you: That has been true until now, but it is not a general rule. Nintendo can use or change the update mechanism as they please.

not in aus
biggrin.gif

zosh

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Papua New Guinea

not in aus
biggrin.gif
Oh? So, what's to stop them from putting an update on disks that "bricks" other region's machines exactly the way the 2.2 update does, and not releasing a respective version for the other two regions?

QUOTE(Bloodgod @ Jun 11 2007, 06:05 AM)
It's still the general rule. No games that have come out recently has bricked any Wii console with a 2.2 firmware.
I know. Still, you are deriving a general rule from two, maybe three releases, where there's actually no way to tell whether this remains their update policy for the next one.

Please don't tell people they are safe when they aren't. Both of you.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
You're wrong. In Australia, it's legal to install a chip to bypass region-lock. So if Nintendo bricked AUS Wiis with an update from another region, they could be taken to court.

123kid

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You're wrong. In Australia, it's legal to install a chip to bypass region-lock. So if Nintendo bricked AUS Wiis with an update from another region, they could be taken to court.
Yeah but the thing is Nintendo would argue that you modded the console at your own risk, and therefore they aren't liable when a firmware update bricks it. The would also argue that the firmware update never intended to brick the console, that was just a side effect of the installed chip.

zosh

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Papua New Guinea
I know the premise but I do not agree with the conclusion. The court ruling doesn't require Nintendo to make everything work, or even be non-harmful, with Australian hardware. In fact, it actually prevents them from imposing measures to prevent harm from installing software that's not intended for australian consoles.

As soon as companies would be held liable for what people do with modified hardware (i.e. hardware beyond the control of the manufacturer) the implications would be so severe that noone could afford to create anything in this respect anymore. As much as I agree with the australian cause, this ruling was to prevent artificial barriers to prevent free trade, but not to force companies to overcome technical differences.

Or, in short: I do not believe Australian law does not protect you from bricking your Wii.

I'll happily stand corrected, tho ... I am sure someone is already sueing Nintendo for bricking his Wii with the Super Paper Mario update, no?

aligborat69

Trophies
XP
Country
Nintendo is not trying to stop people by bricking them, the bricking is simply because a particular game needs a fully updated wii and like Paper Mario USA, it was never intended to be used with PAL machines, so if you run an update on your PAL machine, Nintendo cant be blamed, you are only supposedly supposed to play that game in USA, the PAL release will have the PAL specific update, obviously mixing updates from regions has now proved to be a bad idea. Right now there are several options:

* If a game tries to update, eject it and switch off, check forums to see if its ok to run the update with your region wii, if its confirmed then go ahead!

* Wait for your own region version, which will NEVER brick your wii, a PAL update game can never brick a PAL wii and a USA update can never brick a USA machine, same for Japanese...

* Perhaps try the new BrickBlocker program which just came out, apparently replaces a chunk of data int he iso with a non update version, so when you try to play, update is bypassed.

Either way, Nintendo will not try to purposely brick your wii, because if it does that... then you cant even play/buy original games and that would be a bad move, nintendo are loving it right now and rightly so, they have shown what the other two idiots should have come up with, instead of trying to out-do each other with power.

Wii has many years ahead of it and quality games with continue to come, the others can just watch and cry, or just copy them, as usual. :-)

Hanafuda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any chance we could get back on topic? Besides Super Paper Mario, Mario Strikers, and the Pokemon game, what other games are potential brickers?

aligborat69

Trophies
XP
Country
Apparently Big Brain academy USA has an Update too, but untested. Dont forget, can now use the BrickBlocker to remove the update and play! Whether it works on PAL systems is still unknown!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Eo3Bh06drc