Hacking Please post what external hard drive you are using

Ohgr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am having nothing but problems getting a hard drive to work on my ps3 phat model. Please list what hard drive you have successfully working and how you have it setup, partitions size of hard drive and brand. If possible a link to the one you are using. I am looking to get a large hard drive hooked up but I have now wasted money buy 2 different 4TB drives that both do not work on my ps3. I see some of you saying you are using a 4tb hard drive, please! tell me which is working properly and how you got it to work!

Redirr

X11 Extreme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
4TB drives that

I'll try to solve your problema but pointing some info.

PS3 wont read GPT.
PS3 only support MBR.
MBR only native support upto 2Tb.

But how people does use 4TB and 8TB with PS3?

You need a very specific and old HardDrive Case from Seagate it's a 3.5" Case with a special logic board that convert any drive to MBR
Even 8TB,

So basic it's. You need "MBR" HDD.

Ohgr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok thanks for clearing that up. Can anyone comment on which model to get. Maybe provide a link to the right one?

Ohgr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you that article did clear up some confusion on why it would not work with my newer model seagate and WD 4tb drives. Now how can I find an old drive on eBay. Not sure which models were the old ones. I do think I have a 5tb external that is MBR ntfs I could try. The only down side is it has a power cord to plug in and I was hoping for a portable drive.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
MBR vs GPT (which technically has a MBR, although not used for accessing partitions) isn't a property of the disk, but something you can choose when recreating the partition table

Now, MBR partition start positions and sizes are limited to 4 tera-sectors: almost every disk for tens of years used half-kB sectors, therefore the 2 TB limit

Then, "recently", disk companies started increasing sector sizes (to reduce "wasted" space on the actual platters, used for tracking, error correction, and stuff): this is called "Advanced format" but of course, tons of implementations assuming there would never be sectors different than 512 B resulted in most implementations still emulating said sector size, therefore requiring some care for best performance (the exact same argument of partition alignment on SSDs)

Further later, Advanced format disks with logical 4 KB sectors were made - these would actually allow for 16 TB with MBR, however I would doubt their compatibility with PS3 or even PS4 - they're maybe 6 years old by now, but still a niche products (most integrated sata controllers made today don't support them, etc)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://www.keepretro.com/products/miyoo-a30