TheMadHatter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hey everybody,

I had my wii hardmodded ages ago (don't even remember what chips in it tbh, infectus I think, or is that in my 360 hmm lol nvm doesn't matter) and afterwards softmodded it (also ages ago with the zelda exploit etc.) when they stopped updating things and I got discs to load again so that was fine for then I guess.
I had an old Freecom 500 GB Network-ish HDD laying around which I tried to hook up to wiiflow and I think even GX back then but it was just a massive failure so I gave up on it all together and just kept using backup discs.

So now I figured I'd give everything a shot again since I had some spare time and the wii started to get dusty lol.
I'm still on firmware 4.1E so I figured I'd use ModMii (which also seems to be fairly outdated I think) to generate me a pack that works with 4.1 and it loaded discs just fine afterwards, the usb/sd/whatever forwarder channel with GX linked to it however showed up as "Can't find HDD" in the forwarder window and indeed, while loading GX it was "waiting for HDD" and just failed yet again.

I then downloaded the all in one pack from here and just installed that over things. I have 2 GX forwarders now and the one forwarder that ModMii installed but my very first forwarder suddenly started to find my HDD and everything works (for as far as I know, I haven't played a game that long yet) perfectly fine! The other 2 channels... which both load GX as well... still hang on "Waiting for HDD" for some weird reason... (seriously I can't figure that one out cuz I think they're both loading the same WAD as the first channel but whatever, one works).

So I started messing around with my gamecube backups which I always wanted because I rather have all my GC games on a HDD then have a ton of my GC games laying around.
I ripped a few and placed them in my HDD:/games folder, installed Dios Mios, installed Nintendont because I couldn't figure out how to get my friggin gamecube games to show up in my GX but I couldn't figure out how to let Nintendont run from GX plus it errored out everytime I tried to load a game through the Nintendont's WAD interface so I started struggling again and finally found the Custom Path option which had the gamecube dir set to SD (which is obviously empty and should stay that way) so I changed that to HDD and all my games showed up. The channels load just fine but then.... it wants to install them to SD... not what I wanted..
After a bit of googling it's just not able to run GC games from USB in the version that comes with the complete pack on the first page so I had to move up to one of the beta versions.

I first tried the DOL only version mentioned on the main page, that one hangs on "Initializing USB device" (I waited about an hour, no change), I tried version R1246, 1244, 1243, 1202 and 1188 all on IOS250 but all of them stutter a bit on "Initializing USB device" and eventually fail to load the USB device. I tinkered with the metadata as well removing the new argument about a mountpoint or something which got added along the way but that didn't change anything either. I tried all versions on the other 2 loader channels as well (just for shitz and gigglez, you never know right) but those all failed as well. I reverted back to the default version and it worked perfectly fine again....

So my question after this short story (might as well just tell everything so nobody has questions) is, how the hell can I solve this lol. I really want to play my GC games from HDD instead of SD not only because it is about a 100 times bigger but also because SD's have limited I/O r/w and the ones I have are fairly old/slow/crappy and are SDHC as well so have been heavily used in phones and such already so I doubt they'll live long.

If someone could please help i'd be extremely grateful.

Here is a list of my current IOSes etc. after re-bannerbombing it.

Code:
  * Priiloader 236 Mod
  * IOS11v16174(IOS60v6174[FS-ES-NP])
  * IOS20v16174(IOS60v6174[FS-ES-NP])
  * IOS30v16174(IOS60v6174[FS-ES-NP])
  * IOS50v14889(IOS50v4889[FS-ES-NP])
  * IOS60v16174(IOS60v6174[FS-ES-NP])
  * IOS70v16687(IOS70v6687[FS-ES-NP])
  * cIOS202[57]-v5
  * cIOS222[38]-v5
  * cIOS223[37-38]-v4
  * cIOS224[57]-v5
  * cIOS249[56]-d2x-v6
  * cIOS250[57]-d2x-v6
  * RVL-mios-v10
  * IOS9-64-v1034
  * IOS12-64-v526
  * IOS13-64-v1032
  * IOS14-64-v1032
  * IOS15-64-v1032
  * IOS17-64-v1032
  * IOS21-64-v1039
  * IOS22-64-v1294
  * IOS28-64-v1807
  * IOS31-64-v3608
  * IOS33-64-v3608
  * IOS34-64-v3608
  * IOS35-64-v3608
  * IOS36-64-v3608
  * IOS37-64-v5663
  * IOS38-64-v4124
  * IOS41-64-v3607
  * IOS43-64-v3607
  * IOS45-64-v3607
  * IOS46-64-v3607
  * IOS48-64-v4124
  * IOS53-64-v5663
  * IOS55-64-v5663
  * IOS56-64-v5662
  * IOS57-64-v5919
  * IOS58-64-v6176
  * IOS61-64-v5662
  * USBLoader(s)-ahbprot58-SD-USB-v9-IDCL

The wads from GX and Dios Mios/Nintendont were installed afterwards, this is just the list ModMii spits out in a txt.

Last edited by TheMadHatter,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
[...]skipped reading full text block[...]
So I started messing around with my gamecube backups which I always wanted because I rather have all my GC games on a HDD then have a ton of my GC games laying around.
I ripped a few and placed them in my HDD:/games folder, installed Dios Mios, installed Nintendont because I couldn't figure out how to get my friggin gamecube games to show up in my GX [...]stopped reading here[...]
Sorry, a lot of text to read, I skipped a lot...

You said you install them in /games/ folder?
What is the path and the filename you used?
Almost sure it's your issue, if you didn't follow guides properly when they told which filename and path to use. (it's a common issue with games not displayed)

gives full details if you want help.

I read the next part of your message, and you said it works. If it works, you didn't need to writes 4 paragraph to explain that it didn't using an old outdated version. You just used an old version not compatible with gamecube, you updated and now it works. you fixed your issue, no need to ask help on an old version.

Just update ALL your loaders: USBLoaderGX (1246 is the latest revision), Nintendont (3.3xx)
Don't use DIOS MIOS or DIOS MIOS Lite
Set the gamecube mode in the loader's settings to "Nintendont".

You said "it freeze at initializing HDD". newer HDD product have init issues. often Western Digital drives, probably due to self encryption function.
or it could be because you are outdated :
* cIOS249[56]-d2x-v6
* cIOS250[57]-d2x-v6

You have d2x v6, you should update to d2x v10.

wiiflow will read my games but not usb loader gx HELP
I deleted ALL your multi-cross-posting.
You bumped random old thread, and thought the "ask GBAtemp" was a forum. It's not a place to expose your issue, it's where you ask question.

Please, don't cross post, it's hard to follow and help you if everybody answer in different threads.
Please, don't bump random thread just to get attentions.
Please, don't use Profile message as a help forum! The forum is here and public. I'm not the ONLY person who can give you answers.
Please, be patient. we are not awake 24/24h, leave users time to read and answer you.
Why cross post everywhere? You even have an active private discussion with me to help you, is that not enough? if you don't need my help, then ask ONE TIME here and wait for users to help you, but provide informations as nobody has a crystal ball.
If you need help with USBLoaderGX, post in the USBLoaderGX thread (here!), don't create and bump other threads.
Thanks.

TheMadHatter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hehe I know it was long and ppl might go and say tl;dr but it had some crucial info you obviously missed.

First, my hdd is an old Freecom 500 GB with both an ethernet port and USB 2.0 connection (sort of first gen network sharing idea, its atleast 10 years old)

Second, booting nintendont's original wad errors out when i start a game from the list telling me me my games aint right (DiscEx, trimmed and original isos made with the GC tool from WiiBackupManagers creator), Dios Mios loads the startup screen just fine out of the GX menu but wants me to install to SD.

Third, i went through all the menus but cant find the GC loader option anywhere. Where should it be?

Fourth, the games are in, for example HDD:/games/gamename [ID]/game.iso or HDD:/games/[ID] gamename/game.iso (trimmed or clean) with a dir in them (DiscEx).

Most/All off this was in the short novel I posted covering history of the console and too I used/things I installed this time around :P haha.

Could you link me to the new IOS versions I should use so I know I have the right ones. And can I just WAD install them overwriting the old versions?

thegodlybeing

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would help if you provide more information :yay:
i have the games ( wii games) in the correct path wbfs/ gamename [id]/id.wbfs and it dosnt want to work on usbloader gx i get it on wiiflow but it freezes and i installed 249 ios soo idk. but could dios mios be doing it like making it for GC games only ?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

it would help if you don't cross post so many threads
I am sure it is a setting problem.
you might be right but i went threw the settings and everything looked okay

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Game path:
one path to your games is good, the other one is not.
gamename [ID] is fine
[ID] gamename is wrong, it should be ID_gamename

/ABCDEF_gamename/ or /gamename [ABCDEF]/
Gamecube games also allow /gamename/ or /ABCDEF/ folder name.
But Wii games will not work without the gameID in the folder.

Gamecube mode:
The option is there. If you didn't find it, you probably still have an old version of the loader.
If you installed a channel, be sure you are not launching the old full channel which contains an old version of the loader.
Go to credit page, and check the version you currently are running, if it's "3.0c" then it's the channel version.

Uninstall the Channel version (with a wad manager), and install the forwarder channel.
the forwarder will launch the boot.dol located on your SD card.
in the settings it will display "3.0 r1239" or "3.0 r1246".

Then you will find the option in Settings>Loader settings>Gamecube section (near the middle of the setting list)>Gamecube mode : MIOS <-> Devolution <-> Nintendont
When using nintendont, it will expect that you have /apps/nintendont/boot.dol file

new IOS
No, I can't link to cIOS wad file as they are illegal to share. they are official Nintendo IOS patched.
instead I can give you the install to patch the IOS directly on your console.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/5ggh53tj9hhp1tr/d2x-cios-installer-3.1-v6-v7-v8-v10-wii.7z

extract this (not another link!!) to your SD card.
launch it and select (with dPad left/right) :

what : d2x v8
where: slot249
base: 56
version 21008

what : d2x v8
where: slot250
base: 57
version 21008

i get it on wiiflow but it freezes and i installed 249 ios soo idk. but could dios mios be doing it like making it for GC games only ?
you are still not giving enough information.
WHERE does it freeze ? in the loader? in the game?

saying you installed IOS249 is like saying "I bought a game console and my game doesn't work please help". Which console?
ALL cIOS are located in 249, there are many many version that can be installed in slot249.
If you don't tell what you installed inside the slot, it's not helpful

DIOS MIOS has nothing to do with Wii games.
Wii games use IOS
Gamecube games use MIOS or Nintendont or devolution.
one cannot interfere with the other.

TheMadHatter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It indeed said v3.0c in my credits, that was the only channel that actually loaded my HDD. I have the Forwarder 5.1 installed as well but that one made my HDD hang or it couldn't find it at all.
Anyway, I uninstalled the wad that said "channel" in it and left the forwarders.

I downloaded the cios file you gave me and unzipped it in my apps dir.
It doesn't show up in HBC (which I figured since it's just a dol even if it has an xml) so I tried launching it through MMM's APP manager but that gives me an instant app error and doesn't do a thing... Any other program I could use? This was what was used in the ModMii pack so I don't really have anything else on it right now (just Simple IOS patcher but that doesn't patch these IOSes methinks).

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
don't launch it from another loader.
It must be launched from HBC!
please, don't try random things by yourself, if you don't see something or it doesn't work, report and wait for new directions to follow. trying things without understanding what you are doing can be wrong.

If you don't see it, you didn't extract it correctly.
It's not "just a dol", you must have a lot of files and folders in the package.

you need :
apps/a folder here/boot.dol
apps/a folder here/meta.xml
apps/a folder here/icon.png
apps/a folder here/ciosmaps.xml
apps/a folder here/v7/
apps/a folder here/v8/
apps/a folder here/v10/

you can rename "a folder here" to "d2x_installer" for example.

For the loader, if the forwarder doesn't work, try launching the loader from HBC.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
that's wrong.....
Why users think they don't have to follow provided helps and can do what they want?
no wonder that there are so much users with issues if they don't think guides have to be followed.

I didn't tell to extract only a part of the zip.
Extract ALL the zip to your /apps/ folder.

Do not use any of your old folders if you had an old version already installed.
DELETE all your previews version of that program.
extract the new 7z file entirely to a new folder.

sd:/apps/d2x_installer/boot.dol
sd:/apps/d2x_installer/meta.xml
sd:/apps/d2x_installer/icon.png
sd:/apps/d2x_installer/ciosmaps.xml
sd:/apps/d2x_installer/v7/ and all the files and subfolders it contains
sd:/apps/d2x_installer/v8/ and all the files and subfolders it contains
sd:/apps/d2x_installer/v8/ and all the files and subfolders it contains
sd:/apps/d2x_installer/v10/
sd:/apps/d2x_installer/v10/beta52/and all the files and subfolders it contains
sd:/apps/d2x_installer/v10/beta53/and all the files and subfolders it contains
etc.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hehe I know it was long and ppl might go and say tl;dr but it had some crucial info you obviously missed.

First, my hdd is an old Freecom 500 GB with both an ethernet port and USB 2.0 connection (sort of first gen network sharing idea, its atleast 10 years old)

It may not work, then. See below.

Second, booting nintendont's original wad errors out when i start a game from the list telling me me my games aint right (DiscEx, trimmed and original isos made with the GC tool from WiiBackupManagers creator), Dios Mios loads the startup screen just fine out of the GX menu but wants me to install to SD.

There should be no need to use a tool to install GC games. Just make sure the MD5 hash is valid and put it in the /games/ folder with the proper name and directory structure.
Again, if USB Loader GX is asking you to move your GC games you are using an OLD version. Update it.

Third, i went through all the menus but cant find the GC loader option anywhere. Where should it be?

It's under Loader settings.

Fourth, the games are in, for example HDD:/games/gamename [ID]/game.iso or HDD:/games/[ID] gamename/game.iso (trimmed or clean) with a dir in them (DiscEx).
This should be correct.

Most/All off this was in the short novel I posted covering history of the console and too I used/things I installed this time around :P haha.

Could you link me to the new IOS versions I should use so I know I have the right ones. And can I just WAD install them overwriting the old versions?

Just use ModMii if you are using a Wii. Under the cIOS option choose d2x v10-beta for slots 249, 250 (and 251 if you want it) and it will make the wad files for you. They are patched Nintendo IOSes that are copyrighted so they cannot be posted here. It takes about 30 seconds to build them.

TheMadHatter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
lol I did unzip it correctly but winrar just f-ed up :P it didn't include the original home dir and placed the files directly in my app dir (like Apps/v8 Apps/v10 etc. instead of Apps/filenamedir/v8, v10 etc. etc.).
Anywho, I think I might have flashed the first selected (base 37, slot 249 with v6) as well because I dropped the remote and hit A by accident (it now says v6 is installed on that slot so I might have to fix that), all of the others seemed to already contain v8 (according to the info given when hovering over the slot) so the installer failed on both IOSes because it's already there I assume.

So I put GX r1246 in my App dir as well and removed all the other info from the old version. For some reason it still shows up as r1180 in HBC's info screen and when I load it from HBC it hangs on Initializing HDD devices and eventually moves to the program saying it can't find any HDD's.

In credits it now says:
v3.0 IOS249 (rev 21006)
d2x v6 base57

Which obviously looks wrong because it seems to load v6 not v8 but I don't exactly know why.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
lol I did unzip it correctly but winrar just f-ed up :P it didn't include the original home dir and placed the files directly in my app dir (like Apps/v8 Apps/v10 etc. instead of Apps/filenamedir/v8, v10 etc. etc.).
Anywho, I think I might have flashed the first selected (base 37, slot 249 with v6) as well because I dropped the remote and hit A by accident (it now says v6 is installed on that slot so I might have to fix that), all of the others seemed to already contain v8 (according to the info given when hovering over the slot) so the installer failed on both IOSes because it's already there I assume.

So I put GX r1246 in my App dir as well and removed all the other info from the old version. For some reason it still shows up as r1180 in HBC's info screen and when I load it from HBC it hangs on Initializing HDD devices and eventually moves to the program saying it can't find any HDD's.

In credits it now says:
v3.0 IOS249 (rev 21006)
d2x v6 base57

Which obviously looks wrong because it seems to load v6 not v8 but I don't exactly know why.

it loads v6 because ... you said you installed v6 accidentally.
of course it will load what you installed.

In slot249, you need to install v8 with BASE 56 (not 57, not 37 !)

Ok I re downloaded things and they came up I deleted the sub loader folder and is loader GX app and I am not going to update it but why would updating it do that ?
what is "sub loader" ?

sorry, your english doesn't make any sense.
I will stop helping you myself as we are not understanding each others. someone else will maybe want to help you.

TheMadHatter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You're not exactly getting what happened.

What accidently happened (and what I would like to know with what to flash this again because this is obviously wrong) was this:

The default settings are:
Select cIOS <d2x v6>
Select cIOS base 37
Select cIOS slot 249
Select cIOS Revision 21006

This was flashed by accident.

What I flashed on purpose was:

Select cIOS <v8 d2x-v8-final>
Select cIOS base 56
Select cIOS slot 249
Select cIOS Revision 21008

and

Select cIOS <v8 d2x-v8-final>
Select cIOS base 57
Select cIOS slot 250
Select cIOS Revision 21008

Which both failed to download with a net_error while I can do a connection test on my wii just fine but it looks like the app can't connect.
After looking at the slot again it still says IOS249 rev 21006 > v8 d2x-v8-final base 56 rev 21008 on slot 56 and IOS250 rev 21006 > v8 d2x-v8-final base 57 rev 21008 on slot 57.
The weird thing is though that in the log it says that both my IOSes havev8 d2x-v8-final base (56 or 57) rev 21008 installed.

edit: this does mean that the accidental flash did nothing as well so no need to worry about that.

another edit: It seems to connect to internet now, and then it started dropping tcp errors and eventually errored out. Afterwards it was back to net_errors.
HBC is connected just fine though.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
if the installer has issue connection online, you can use modmii instead.
it will generate the wad files for these cIOS and just install them with a wad manager.

TheMadHatter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I used ModMii to begin with, thats what generated the IOS list I gave in my first post and thus installed v6 instead of v8.

Edit: The app says that for offline mode I need IOS56-64-v5661.wad and IOS57-64-v5918.wad, maybe a manual download is an idea?

edit: I just downloaded them with NUS downloader, default settings and generated a wad of both of them, they are automatically named IOS56-64-v5661.wad and IOS57-64-v5918.wad so I'm assuming those are correct no?
And I have no idea where to place them lol, wad folder I assume?

Another edit: I also checked ModMii, it says I have the latest ModMii version but the only IOSes I can download from d2x are v6, the beta dir is empty.

Last edit: Yup that worked, put them in the root dir and it installed it smoothly. However, GX STILL doesn't recognize my HDD while the channel did...
GX now says it uses the correct stuff in the credit window though:

Rev 1246 IOS250 (Rev 21008) + AHB
(d2x v8 final base 57)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."