Hardware Please help! old 3ds refuses to read old files and creates empty homepage

xeph20

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Different "Nintendo 3DS" subfolder names = different movable.sed = different SD file encryption key, you will need the old one to extract your old .savs (from a nand backup, or maybe by bruteforcing a pre-6.0 game - if that's even possible with digital versions)

Hmm that might sound like a problem.
Maybe I have a very old nand backup somewhere but I will have to search different drives.

Pff why do they make it all so difficult

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hmm that might sound like a problem.
Maybe I have a very old nand backup somewhere but I will have to search different drives.

Pff why do they make it all so difficult
So that you can't do highly illegal actions such as backing up/modding your saves (there have been NO Nintendo consoles with an unrestricted, official save backup system)

xeph20

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
So that you can't do highly illegal actions such as backing up/modding your saves (there have been NO Nintendo consoles with an unrestricted, official save backup system)

GBA games had interchangeable saves ö almost every console I know has millions of 100% save data files online how do they al work then?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had trouble with Pokemon X because the game's too big to install on the dinky 4 GB Lexar. I resorted to Pilotwings Resort (USA) with Title ID 00031c00 as it's a much smaller game, ~93 MB.

The cards' <ID0> and <ID1> have the following sequences, where X = letter and # = number:

The <ID0> are the same.
  • #X##XXXX#X#X####XX###XX#XXX###X#
Their <ID1> are different.

PNY:

• ##X##########X#############X###X
Lexar:
  • ##X###########X##X##############

Yada yada yada, copied *.sav file over from PNY to Lexar. Older version firmware, EmuNAND, and (at least) different <ID1> poses no problems in dropping in the old save. You can see I have a bad habit of purposely dubbing myself with awful names, lol.

Pilotwings_license.png

Edit - Time to go hunting for that old NAND of yours if you got it like Ryccardo mentioned about the movable.sed . Your issue is truly a mystery.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

xeph20

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I had trouble with Pokemon X because the game's too big to install on the dinky 4 GB Lexar. I resorted to Pilotwings Resort (USA) with Title ID 00031c00 as it's a much smaller game, ~93 MB.

The cards' <ID0> and <ID1> have the following sequences, where X = letter and # = number:

The <ID0> are the same.
  • #X##XXXX#X#X####XX###XX#XXX###X#
Their <ID1> are different.

PNY:

• ##X##########X#############X###X
Lexar:
  • ##X###########X##X##############

Yada yada yada, copied *.sav file over from PNY to Lexar. Older version firmware, EmuNAND, and (at least) different <ID1> poses no problems in dropping in the old save. You can see I have a bad habit of purposely dubbing myself with awful names, lol.

Pilotwings_license.png

Edit - Time to go hunting for that old NAND of yours if you got it like Ryccardo mentioned about the movable.sed . Your issue is truly a mystery.
Tell me about it
It sucks monkeyballs. Especially because everywhere I looked they just said copy paste it to pc so you have a backup and then copy paste to new SD and it works...

Blah

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
GBA games had interchangeable saves ö almost every console I know has millions of 100% save data files online how do they al work then?
Unofficial tools, of course :)
(The most common one for GBA saves is probably a DS/Lite with flashcard and the right DS homebrew)

xeph20

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Unofficial tools, of course :)
(The most common one for GBA saves is probably a DS/Lite with flashcard and the right DS homebrew)

You make me sad :( Mr poopoo at least gave me hope :( but I guess I had to face reality. Would have been awesome though if there was a "easy" "quick" fix

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You make me sad :( Mr poopoo at least gave me hope :( but I guess I had to face reality. Would have been awesome though if there was a "easy" "quick" fix

I have one last question. When you moved the *.sav files over, did you rename the new setup Nintendo 3DS/<ID0>/<ID1> to match the old set?

If you did that, this might be the issue. Keep the new <ID0>/<ID1> and bring only the title/00040000/... portion.

xeph20

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I have one last question. When you moved the *.sav files over, did you rename the new setup Nintendo 3DS/<ID0>/<ID1> to match the old set?

If you did that, this might be the issue. Keep the new <ID0>/<ID1> and bring only the title/00040000/... portion.

I didn't change it. To the old I only changed it from the 00040000 folder :(

mudzilla

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I had this problem this week, and it took me ages to fix, so dropping my solution in here, to hopefully help anyone else googling…

My home screen appeared blank, save for the usual Nintendo apps. The cause of this was a corrupt `extdata` directory. On the computer it was showing as a file with no extension, not a directory.

• Nintendo 3DS/<ID0>/<ID1>/extdata/

I deleted the `extdata` file, reinserted the SD card, and all the icons appeared and I had to unwrap and rearrange the lot. Back to normal, no save data lost.

Hope this helps.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Taylor Swift death metal AI cover please lol