Gaming Please help my wii turn off problem!

Sathya

GBAtemp Professional Poetry maker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia

my wii screen turn off after 15 minutes i play.
im pretty sure this problem is not on my tv.
can i fix this?

this video was taken from my iPad 4

Last edited by Sathya,

Xathya

residence aparents trols of temps
Banned
Trophies
Website
knucklestheechidna.com
XP
Country
Australia
does have the other tv to try with?

try puttin wii in cold place like fan or freigerators or send bak to nitendo so they can change paste of cpus but might delet hax

sinse doesn akoali rebot but just go blaeg screen mite akoali be tv, coaxial, rca, hdmil or said conect; drop the. so no akoali power. try other tv and cabel and see. worset cas mr nintendo is gona have fix.!

Reactions: Sathya

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

my wii screen turn off after 15 minutes i play.
im pretty sure this problem is not on my tv.
can i fix this?

this video was taken from my iPad 4

Check the cable, make sure it's plugged in all the way on both ends and that the plugs don't look damaged or are loose inside the sockets.
If that doesn't help, try another cable.

Sathya

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Check the cable, make sure it's plugged in all the way on both ends and that the plugs don't look damaged or are loose inside the sockets.
If that doesn't help, try another cable.
it dosent work with my component and rca cable. also try on another tv. this problem come because:
I bought this wii in 2010 from america, of course the voltage of its power supply is 120 volts. so I use a voltage drop from 220 volts to 120 volts [because my country voltage is 220 volts]
and a week ago the voltage drop was broken. so the 220 volts current goes into the 120 volt wii power supply, and the result of wii output power is supposed to be 12 volts to 24 volts [doubled]
after that I finally bought a wii power supply with a voltage of 100-240 volts.
and when I try to turn on the wii again with a new wii power supply, and as a result when I play, the video output becomes unclear and flicker like the video above.
yeah this problem still can be fix or i must buy a new wii? or go to unoffical wii service center?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
it dosent work with my component and rca cable. also try on another tv. this problem come because:
I bought this wii in 2010 from america, of course the voltage of its power supply is 120 volts. so I use a voltage drop from 220 volts to 120 volts [because my country voltage is 220 volts]
and a week ago the voltage drop was broken. so the 220 volts current goes into the 120 volt wii power supply, and the result of wii output power is supposed to be 12 volts to 24 volts [doubled]
after that I finally bought a wii power supply with a voltage of 100-240 volts.
and when I try to turn on the wii again with a new wii power supply, and as a result when I play, the video output becomes unclear and flicker like the video above.
yeah this problem still can be fix or i must buy a new wii? or go to unoffical wii service center?
Be careful with those voltage droppers, a lot of them aren't designed for complex electronics and will cause issues.
There might not be a way to fix the Wii.

Zonark

Zonark - Noun - A God
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this looks like a connection issue with the system does this only happen right after you turn on the system? If you unplug the video cable, without turning off the console, does the video come back or does it stay black? If it comes back its going to be a issue with the cable more than likely like a short in the cable. if it stays black the system is more than likely overheating that area of the board. A reflow would be needed in order to repair this and new heat transfer paste used (artic silver thermal paste I would recommend). System could also be loosing to much power due to the voltage drops

Last edited by Zonark,

Sathya

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
this looks like a connection issue with the system does this only happen right after you turn on the system? If you unplug the video cable, without turning off the console, does the video come back or does it stay black? If it comes back its going to be a issue with the cable more than likely like a short in the cable. if it stays black the system is more than likely overheating that area of the board. A reflow would be needed in order to repair this and new heat transfer paste used (artic silver thermal paste I would recommend). System could also be loosing to much power due to the voltage drops
i dont understand what you mean. as long as i know, this is my wii problem not the tv or any cable. maybe my wii gpu was broken.

Zonark

Zonark - Noun - A God
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Check to see if your fan is working. it could easily be the fan causing it to overheat.

One more question. Does the system let you boot back to normal immediately after you turn it off and back on? or does it stay black for a while?

Okay ill try to explain it a bit better more in depth. So with electronics what can cause this is where the (Sin) wave of the electrical current goes too low causing partial hardware failures due to being underpowered. Try changing out the power convertor voltage dropper (what converts the voltage from American to yours) first. that could be going bad and restricting more power that what it needs too (higher end / newer ones try to keep it exactly at the 120v range). if that doesn't correct the issue. Try cleaning the wii in its entirety and replacing and adding new thermal paste. if that doesn't work you would have to open your wii again and reflow the GPU you could use a hair dryer to reflow the GPU but don't use that too much on one area, you would have to go in circular motions to prevent damage. Reflow is to basically correct any soldering issues with the board and makes sure connection are complete. after doing this you would need to add new thermal paste to the GPU and CPU.

Cleaning the Wii inside and out could fix the issue.

First, change voltage dropper and test.
Second, open and clean wii completely inside and out. check if fan is working. replace thermal paste on cpu and gpu and test.
Third (hardest due to damage risks), Reflow GPU area replace thermal paste and test.

Sathya

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Check to see if your fan is working. it could easily be the fan causing it to overheat.

One more question. Does the system let you boot back to normal immediately after you turn it off and back on? or does it stay black for a while?

Okay ill try to explain it a bit better more in depth. So with electronics what can cause this is where the (Sin) wave of the electrical current goes too low causing partial hardware failures due to being underpowered. Try changing out the power convertor voltage dropper (what converts the voltage from American to yours) first. that could be going bad and restricting more power that what it needs too (higher end / newer ones try to keep it exactly at the 120v range). if that doesn't correct the issue. Try cleaning the wii in its entirety and replacing and adding new thermal paste. if that doesn't work you would have to open your wii again and reflow the GPU you could use a hair dryer to reflow the GPU but don't use that too much on one area, you would have to go in circular motions to prevent damage. Reflow is to basically correct any soldering issues with the board and makes sure connection are complete. after doing this you would need to add new thermal paste to the GPU and CPU.

Cleaning the Wii inside and out could fix the issue.

First, change voltage dropper and test.
Second, open and clean wii completely inside and out. check if fan is working. replace thermal paste on cpu and gpu and test.
Third (hardest due to damage risks), Reflow GPU area replace thermal paste and test.

your explanation also makes sense, but this is already happening when I first put the wii on. then after 15 minutes, the condition gets worse. after that i turn off and turn on the wii back, and the result is exactly the same

Zonark

Zonark - Noun - A God
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
your explanation also makes sense, but this is already happening when I first put the wii on. then after 15 minutes, the condition gets worse. after that i turn off and turn on the wii back, and the result is exactly the same
I can almost bet money that the fan isn't working properly then due to overheating/needing reflow

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland

Okay ill try to explain it a bit better more in depth. So with electronics what can cause this is where the (Sin) wave of the electrical current goes too low causing partial hardware failures due to being underpowered.

This is the first time I ever heard underpower will cause electronic failure.
The OP fed 220V to the 120V Wii, so it is "overpowered" or over-volt...
"where the (Sin) wave of the electrical current goes too low"? You mean zero or the negative cycle of the sin wave? We normally don't differentiate between the positive and negatives, just the peak values and it is voltage, not current. Main supply and Wii power supply (as does most electronic devices) are constant voltage sources, current is just the result of the load.

Well, whatever done is done. There may not be a way to fixed it but it won't hurt to try the obvious - checking dust, fans etc and thermal paste would be the last. Replacing ICs? It is probably cheaper to buy a second hand Wii.

Zonark

Zonark - Noun - A God
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’m just stating the basics as in if the system isn’t getting enough power as in the converter is over doing it’s job kinda like how a bulb lights up and gets dimmer with less voltage. Parts of computers shut down or don’t boot if underpowered same goes for all electronics

Sathya

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
now i can play wii again. im trying to use rca cable [original one] and the screen was fix, but little blur. so i think the problem in component display adapter. even when rca cable is little bad, not like an erarlier with rca cable.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended