Please help me with CSS!

T.Kuranari

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I am currently building my own website locally on my computer and have issues with CSS, specifically with designing the topmenu. I want to attach to each item of the topmenu 2 images, one default one and one that shows up via a mouseover-effect. But here is the thing, I also want to add to each menu item a submenu and I don't want the mouseover-effect-picture to vanish if I point the mouse cursor to the submenu. So basically I want the mouseover-effect to still be enabled while the mouse cursor points at the submenu. But I don't know how this could be done.

Here is my current CSS code regarding the image mapping of the first item of the topmenu:

Code:
#topmenu ul.menu .item-444 a {
background: url('../images/image1.png') 0 0 no-repeat;
background-position: center;

}

#topmenu ul.menu .item-444 a:hover {
background: url('../images/image2.png') 0 0 no-repeat;
background-position: center;

}

Thank you :)

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I don't know your HTML code, but assuming the li element contains both the anchor and the submenu, you could put the hover on the li instead:
Code:
ul li a:hover { ... }

To:
ul li:hover > a { ... }

Note that the above won't work on IE unless you use a Strict Doctype (it'll ignore the hover otherwise). It may also run a bit slower in IE7/8.
Apparently that's because using :hover on non-anchors is "inefficient".

Alternatively you can go and write JavaScript that adds a certain class to the anchor when hovering the list or something.

T.Kuranari

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thank you tj and I'm sorry for taking so long to reply. I managed to gather a lot of CSS knowledge since I started this thread an was able to solve any CSS issue myself :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM