HyperShadow

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malta
ok so here's the deal. I've always been a sega fanboy in my youth. I've boycotted nintendo for as long as I could, but now I'm older (24) I realise I was just being stupid. Anyway, nowadays I have a wii and love playing SMG and super paper mario and such, but I've NEVER had a nintendo upbringing, so I don't know any nintendo mascots other than mario, and maybe DK.

That's right, I've never played Zelda either.... *the horror*!!!

Now, I need your help. I've been following all this SSBB fuss and I wanna enjoy it as much as everyone else. I don't want to play the jap game though, so I'm waiting for the US release. In the meantime, I've got a hold of SSB melee and tried it out (assuming the fuss about brawl was due to the success of melee). I played a bit with mario, but I really don't know why this game is so much fun to everyone else. Is the game all about knocking your opponenet off the stage? There must be more to it than that right? Is the fun all about playing as your favourite nintendo mascot? Because I have none!
Please realise I'm not having a go at SSB .... I just don't see what you guys see....yet. I know that can be the case for a LOT of super fun games, so I'm willing to give it another go, I desperately want to like this game and be part of all this frenzy.

4urentertainment

Trophies
Website
www.4urentertainment.co.nr
XP
Country
Egypt
weeeell, The fun of super smash is mostly in that all of your favourite characters from your favourite games have gathered on stage, in one game, to brawl!
The fun really is to smash and fight with ur oponent with the many different items, stages, pokeballs, characters, tactics and strategies.
It would also be much better playing with someone rather than alone.

TaMs

Randomizer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
imo the best super smash bros, is the original on n64. Try to play it if you're bored.
Also i'm not so keen to brawl like everyone else seems to be. I don't see why it's supposed to be so god like. : D
but then again i'm more of a sony "fanboy".

DiNo29

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
I love Brawl because, to me, it's the most technical and deep fighting game, at the same time as being the funniest one.
Fun for the 4 players part. Everybody is hitting everybody, items are exploding everywhere, amazing things happens, ... even noobs can have much fun when playing with 3 other players.
But the game is also amazingly deep, even with 4 players, when the game looks so confusing at start, if you master it you won't be defeated by noobs, even if they get the items.
And 1vs1 tournaments are amazing. You can never stop becoming better. Duels are so technical, SSB games mechanics allow you to launch attacks in so many different ways, there's a lot of varied attacks, a lot of characters to know how to use or how to counter, ....
So for me, the main feature of the game isn't the character roster. I'd still love SSB if that wasn't nintendo who made it. Well, it's cool to have all those cool Nintendo characters, as a fan, but I think the game mechanics are a lot more amazing than the roster ^^.

Vater Unser

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I guess it's hard to get hyped about a fighting game that has mostly fighters from games you haven't played...

Grab some roms and emulators and play some of the jewels you've missed in the past 20 years...
Here's a few to get you started:

NES:
Super Mario Bros. 1+3
Kid Icarus
Metroid
Zelda 1+2

SNES:
Super Mario World
Yoshi's Island
Zelda: A Link to the Past
Super Metroid
Kirby Superstar (aka Kirby's Fun Pak)
Donkey Kong Country 1-3
Super Mario RPG

N64:
Super Mario 64
Zelda: Ocarina of Time
StarFox64 (aka Lylat Wars)

Even if they don't help you to like SSBB, they're still worthwhile (plenty of them being better than SSBB itself)...can't call yourself a serious gamer without having played at least some of these games
lecture.gif

Alternatively, you can play as Sonic or Solid Snake and enjoy beating up all the Nintendo characters
rofl2.gif

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
for the snes games you should have said to just play super mario all stars and world, that has all the super mario games from 1-3 (remade with updated graphics and sound) and super mario world included. as for the n64 you forgot to mention goldeneye and perfect dark, kid Icarus is very good, not sure about super mario rpg, he should play chrono trigger instead.

TaMs said:
imo the best super smash bros, is the original on n64.

i found super smash melee on the gamecube more entertaining, as for other essential titles on the nintendo consoles, i suggest the original poster has a look at the essential threads scattered around the forums, there are loads of top games to choose from the lists.

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
He was listing games that had characters in SSBB to play so he'd be more familiar with them, not just good Nintendo games. Last I checked, Bond, Joanna Dark, or Crono were not in SSBB.

EDIT: forgot most important word, not.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
myuusmeow said:
He was listing games that had characters in SSBB to play so he'd be more familiar with them, not just good Nintendo games. Last I checked, Bond, Joanna Dark, or Crono were not in SSBB.

EDIT: forgot most important word, not.

super mario world and super mario 1-3 has mario in it, but yeah forget the other games then if he wants to play just the mario stuff (please don't mention mario party... or mario tennis for his sake
wacko.gif
)

Vater Unser

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Super Mario RPG and Chrono Trigger are both excellent, you shouldn't miss either one...
I personally prefer Terranigma over both of them, though
nyanya.gif

To be honest, Kid Icarus and the original Zelda and Metroid are kinda hard to like nowadays even if you're into retro games...I haven't completed any of them yet
ph34r.gif
(And thanks to Metroid Zero Mission, I'm not planning on finishing Metroid at all)

HyperShadow

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malta
thanks for all your replies guys - i'll be sure to spend some more time learning the gameplay mechanics, as well as checking out some of those jewels you listed Vater!

Selxis

Trophies
XP
Country
Play it in multi player and let yourself loose.

And just play as Sonic in Brawl if you're a Sega fanboy.
smile.gif

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's a fighting game, what do you expect ? And I really doubt this is the most technical fighter available. Yes there are deep mechanics, but compared to VF5, guilty gear, etc you should be locked up, guilty guilty guilty guilty guilty !

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: