PlayStation VR - $399 Oct 2016

nxbTjDd.jpg

Sony have just announced the long awaited launch details for PlayStation VR at a dedicated press event at GDC 2016.

The headset will go on sale in October 2016 in a standalone package for a RRP of...
  • $399 USD
  • €399 EUR
  • $549 CAD
  • £349 GBP
The package will not include the PlayStation 4 Camera or Move controllers which may be required for certain experiences such as head-tracking and motion controls.

25714408061_db01aa3093_b.jpg

The final technical specifications of the consumer version of the PSVR have also been confirmed and are as follows.

• OLED 5.7" screen
  • 1920 x RGB x 1080 (960 x RGB x 1080 per eye)
  • 120hz, 90hz refresh rates
  • 360 degrees of tracking via 9 LEDs with the PlayStation 4 Camera (sold separately)
  • FOV of 100 degrees
  • 18ms latency
Although the launch of the virtual reality headset has been delayed until October 2016 (previously slated for Q1) the price is much lower than that of its closest competitors - the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive.

Will you be betting on the future of VR and picking up a PlayStation VR come October? Let us know in the thread below.

:arrow: Discuss

vayanui8

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really don't see the hype for VR. Its really not anything hugely different, its just a different position for the screen with some additional control features. It seems more like a gimmick than anything.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I can't use Vive in my room, and so far I haven't had the best experiences with Oculus Rift. Maybe if I see a demo for the PSVR, it will help me make a decision.

I should also get round to trying the Samsung Gear VR. There's a big demo event for it in the local shopping mall.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Remember that time when the PS4 could handle the processing necessary for good VR? Because I don't. This gen's consoles are not VR ready.

w!!

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm all for VR Tech taking off. I'm an old schooler who remembers the push in the 90's for VR Tech. Bought a VictorMAXX for the Genesis... it wasn't true VR and didn't have 3-d games, but did "track" your head movement with a left/right pole that would send those commands to your controller as you turned your head.... so was kind of fun for some first person shooter stuff. I also remember the Arcade VR pods and trackers that were cutting edge back then, but weighed a ton and took up space.

Given the amount of advances in mobile tech available to detect your head movements, gyroscopes, cost improvements and processing power for portable devices, I'm a little disappointed in the current offerings. This thing is a little expensive for what might be little more than a cellphone you strap on your face. If 3-D and tracking is the main goal, then just sell an IR light bar you slap on your phone and stream video to it. Then you can buy one of those $10 cardboard box VR things and strap that on your face.

Why not integrate a way to track your head movement into the headset with a built in camera that tracks the room as you move your head, or your hands or other objects as you move them in front of you? An external camera that tracks you? Misread the 100 degrees field of view versus the 360 degrees of movement tracking at first... but still not a big deal to run lights around your head. Hopefully they at least extend it to allow multiple devices to connect to the system for multi-player or interactive experiences...

Not a MS fanboy, but seeing the HoloLens is much more impressive to me and where I hope things advance towards more quickly. Everything being built in to the device itself, project completely over, or onto the environment, tracking of your hand and objects and rendering in 3-D. Though I have to wonder how well that looks in comparison to the "individual image to each eye" method of these headsets. Slap on a simple communication/sharing protocol (or use existing standards) and then people can link together and share the same object field of view.

So the 3-D VR headsets we are seeing like Oculus, Sony and others where you strap it on your head and still rely on external devices to track/change your view is a small step forward, but not much more of an advancement than those stereoscopic photo viewers, or the antique "3-d movie" flip versions of them they have in penny arcades and museums. Not saying seeing stuff in 3-D isn't cool, but just not where I thought we be today.

Last edited by w!!,

dontay0100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah i was mildy happy with the price , dangerously close to xmas , so im sure my tech savvy kids will apply pressure , and as a parent that uses his kids as an excuse to buy all this shit.. im sure i will bite.. but i hope it comes packaged with something worthwhile , and a good few pre exisiting games work or have updates etc etc... essentially for it to succeed , like everything it needs content..

Indeed! :D

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Typical Sony. I knew it there was a catch if their unit was to be the cheapest! They have always done this since the PS1.
"Here, buy this... but you are going to need this and this and this too!"

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I admit the Only VR I have used are the old arcade ones, so I'm basing my hype on other people who have actually experience the thing, but I think that is better than a lot of people I see doubting modern VR without even trying it themselves.
Remember that time when the PS4 could handle the processing necessary for good VR? Because I don't. This gen's consoles are not VR ready.
It has a separated processing unit and it doesn't need as much power as the high end VR.

Last edited by KingVamp,

gbaboy123

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
vr is not something that actually appeals to the masses like other products for example grannys and kids buy iphones I doubt that they will buy vr most of the teens don't even play games and its less probable to sell to the ones who do. so I don't see this as a good idea but I hope they can prove me wrong

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty excited about VR and what it will mean for gaming, entertainment, simulations. but something I've been curious and a little concerned about - I can't focus on anything, even with glasses on, any closer than about 7 inches from my face. I'm just screwed I guess?

S

Saiyan Lusitano

I don't get why it costs more than a PS4 unit itself. Doesn't seem like a smart plan.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty excited about VR and what it will mean for gaming, entertainment, simulations. but something I've been curious and a little concerned about - I can't focus on anything, even with glasses on, any closer than about 7 inches from my face. I'm just screwed I guess?
No, the way VR works is that by sending your eyes two different images, you will focus not on the screen, inches from your face, but the image at whatever distance out in virtual space.

I would recommend trying before buying, though.

Reactions: Hanafuda

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    My first color TV was like 1984 or something lol