PlayStation Now Subscription service announced

Discussion in 'PS4 - Games & Content' started by T-hug, Jan 5, 2015.

1. T-hug
    OP

T-hug Always like this.

pip Chief Editor
    Oct 24, 2002
    England
    psnowsub.jpg

djavs likes this.

2. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    Neat. I was really hesitant to do anything with the service as it stands now, as timed rentals really did not cater to varying taste and desires. They still need to offer something in the way of a free trial too before forcing somebody to put down any money just to find their internet is too finicky or something to do game streaming.

3. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    I wonder how much it'll cost them for 12 months, perhaps $70-80.

Meh, I'd rather just get the original games for the consoles than use this overpriced service.

4. yusuo

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    They've definitely taken a step in the right direction but the price still needs to be knocked down a bit or include PS+ subscription within that price

5. XrosBlader821

XrosBlader821 Digimon Tamer

Feb 1, 2014
    Gambia, The
    The offer sounds reasonable enough for me to care more about the PS Now Service. Now it needs to arrive EU and I'll definetely gonna check it out for a month.

6. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Nice, I was hoping they'd get around to this. Though I'm a little peeved its not included in PS+, but meh.

7. prowler

prowler Sony

Jul 14, 2009
    Ragol
    Two completely different services. If they included it in PS+, the price per month will have to go up. I guess somewhere down the line they'll do an all-in-one package.

8. aofelix

aofelix GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 21, 2013
    WHY THE FUCK ARENT THEY PUTTING THIS ON VITA???

anyway awesome from Sony.

to anyone wanting it on PS+, don't be ridiculous.

i think the pricing structure is okay given the sheer amount of titles which would be available. i'd love to give this a try for 3 months or so and just kill off a shit load of old titles on my vita on the go.

if they can make this even cheaper, they are onto a winner. ATM i still think buying the games might be cheaper than this service (180/a year... for 180 i can buy quite a few old games)

9. XrosBlader821

Feb 1, 2014
    Gambia, The
    PS Now is on vita...

10. aofelix

Dec 21, 2013
    the subscription service on vita?

11. XrosBlader821

Feb 1, 2014
    Gambia, The
    well the video said "First on PS4" implying it will come to other platforms eventually.

12. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Fantastic. A subscription-based service that gives you access to a library is far better than renting titles for ridiculous fees. They're on the right track here, I'm liking this.

13. aofelix

Dec 21, 2013
    I personally don't have a strong advantage to play these games on PS4 as I have a PS3 and can emulate most of the older titles.

However playing them on the Vita is huge as portability is a big thing for me. PS+ can really turn the game around and possibly even influence the Vita's popularity too if they push it and advertise it properly.

14. Vengenceonu

Vengenceonu Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.

Jun 20, 2013
    United States
    The C Standard Library
    This does not include the ps1 and ps2 library. 50/3months to only play ps3 games? Nty

15. aofelix

Dec 21, 2013
    oh shit and sony have done it again

50/3 months is not great when you can now buy about 10 PS3 games or that price second hand.

16. chartube12

chartube12 GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 3, 2010
    United States
    190.76 a year including tax -_-'

I usually spend about 200 a year on games, but that usually includes games that have gotten price drops (both temp n perma) and DLCs for games I enjoyed.

On top of that the ps3 has some of the worst servers ever seen. NO THANKS SONY!

17. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    This is definitely a good step, but I wouldn't mind if they also included the option to rent individual titles one at a time. If there's just a few titles that I want to play from the last generation, it seems to me that that would make more sense as long as the prices are kept reasonable.

18. eriol33

eriol33 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 2, 2014
    Indonesia
    still too expensive. but I would be glad to pay if I can play the newest 60 bucks game with the subscription (dragon age anyone? )

19. rdurbin

rdurbin GBAtemp Fan

Sep 13, 2006
    United States
    US
    if they add a yearly sub, I may consider this. I think around $99 a year would be fair. It would seem to be in line with psn plus yearly discount.

psn plus $10 a month/$120 a year (paid month to month) or $50 yearly (save $70)
    psn now paid $20 month/$240 a year or $100 a year (save $140)

the ratio is the same. (basically paying for 5 months and getting 7 free)

but considering they they charging $45 for 3 months, I have a feeling a year would prob be around $135 (once its added)

20. chavosaur

chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    I'll wait for the service to hit Vita before I shit my pants over it.
    Especially considering I don't have my PS4 anymore >_>
    If anything it'd be nice to just pop $20 and play some games I missed for a month, then cancel it, wait a few months and if I'm feeling nostalgic/they add more games, I'll buy another month.

It's not like you have to keep the sub going indefinitely, id much rather sample it throughout the year as stuff is added.

XrosBlader821 likes this.