PlayStation Brand Faces Uncertain Future

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by jerome27, Apr 29, 2011.

Apr 29, 2011
  1. jerome27
    OP

Banned jerome27 Banned

United States
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/34348/

Mature opinion piece on the decline of Sony and the Playstation brand.

2. Sausage Head

Banned Sausage Head Lord Sausage LXIX

Netherlands
    What is new about this article? Isn't this like a... summary?

3. Palom

Member Palom Advanced Member

United States
    I say, (Sony should) be sold to Konami. There, a new console will be created that will totally kick ass.

4. ShawnTRods

Member ShawnTRods GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Summary and making "guesses" pretty much.

What has been happening does not mean the end of Play Station brand. You cant call them off just yet.
    A lot of possibilities are still open to Sony. Although, I dont see much happening with PS3+PSN.
    You could say the PS3+PSN era reached its end..

5. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    Sony just has to stop dun goofin. People are pissed but Sony heads will always be Sony heads and will keep buying their shit.

6. WiiUBricker

Member WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Argentina
    Bullshit from a shitty site.

7. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    ...uncertain future? For SONY?

Are you *retarded* ? Their PlayStation income has doubled in *the last quarter alone*, their income estimates were vastly surpassed by the actual profit, you think that this multimillion giant will fall because of one flop?

Sony sells top-quality electronics - laptops, TV's, DVD/BluRay players, consoles... Smartphones alone gave 11 Euro m. NET income (usually it brings losses rather than income) in the first quarter of 2011, gaming devision with 564 million dolars of profit between october and december.

They're not *dying*. They're flourishing, if anything.

As soon as PSN re-boots with better security, people will start praising it again. Give it a year and you'll all FORGET that this even happened.

8. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    Really? ...REALLY? Wow. Sony isn't hurt AT ALL. If Sony's hurt, Nintendo has been rotting in the sewers for the past few years, while Microsoft is just a begging man on the streets.

Come on, now.

9. Snailface

Member Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Antarctica
    The media (and society in general) has a short attention span. Once this crisis blows over, it'll be business as usual for Sony.

10. sonknuck23

Member sonknuck23 Mighty Switch Force >

Canada
    As someone who owns all 3 systems (now, at least, haha) I can safely say that people often spend a lot of time bashing consoles for silly reasons. So what; shit happened with Sony and now everyone's flipping shit. I DOUBT this will lead to some disastrous future for Sony. I got my PS3 the DAY of the outage and I've been raping the hell out of it ever since, playing games offline and still enjoying the fuck out of it.

All my friend are like "lol hows ur online GET IT CUZ U HAVE NON" And I'm like "who gives a shit, I sitll enjoy playing it."

So many people have went off to buy 360's as a "fuck you" to Sony, I don't see that being much of a "fuck you". I think it's rather silly. I mean, buy it if you want one, cool. But buying it and then posting on the PSN blog "omg fuck this gettin a 360 sry sony u aint gettin no mo of my money" lol, i just laugh and go "good job, kids. Way to piss off nobody."

It's all just dumb shit. I personally like all 3; Wii, PS3, and 360 (although I dislike the 360 a bit more for reasons which are hard to explain.) IN THE END, I do NOT see this as being a decline for Sony's future. Like the guy above said (Foxi4) give it time, people will be saying "what outage? April 20th? huh? wtf?"

11. Nujui

Member Nujui I need something to do.

United States
    I think someone should close this thread, it's gonna get A LOT of hate. Trust me.

12. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    What's there to start a hate war over? SONY has enough money to go around till the whole storm's over. Hell, they have enough money to build a 5 meters high wall around their HQ made of gold. Assuming that they'll suddenly close down because of a PSN fuck-up that probably didn't cause any damage anyways is silly.

13. Nujui

United States
    I'm not saying there's gonna be a hate war, I'm just saying that people are gonna hate over this because what the news said is not gonna happen.

I mean really, did any of us here thought sony was gonna get hurt over this?

14. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    sony ain't coming back next gen they fucked up big time and won't be able to recover from their idiotic mistakes this gen their finished in the console market -end-

15. FireEmblemGuy

Member FireEmblemGuy Finally hit 1000 posts

United States
    This isn't about Sony itself, it's about the Playstation brand/sub-brand. Sony won't notice a huge loss of income over the PSN fiasco, but if they aren't careful it could still hurt their computing/networking divisions pretty hard. If that particular area starts hurting, Sony will take note, and if those divisions start posting losses or negligible profits, I doubt Sony would worry too much about cutting back funding for them.

16. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    Sony's main assets are the Bravia and the PlayStation brands. They'll do anything to CPR PlayStation back to life, even if it means freebies for the users. Their current success in all fields of electronics has its roots in either their always impressive TV sets or the consoles they hooked up to them. PlayStations always had the longest lifespan among consoles (excluding NES), they were always as advanced as it was humanly possible and one flop in the network that also happens to be free, as opposed to other money-monging company we know, won't change that.

They WILL be back with a next-gen, just don't expect it anytime soon. Why?

Just look at the PS3. Look at it's capabilities and its resources. Have we depleded them yet? Is the console stale? Is there anything that tops it significantly?

No.

Then don't expect a PS4. Not because there'll be cuts, but because there is no demand for it yet.

17. phantastic91

Member phantastic91 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    O_O..........

i think you forgot to add.."/sarcasm"

18. Nujui

United States
    One mess up doesn't mean the end of sony.

They'll be back next gen.

19. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    ...I'm truly TEMPted (see what I did there?) to say "You meant his medication...?", but that'd only add to my colourful collection of WARN's. Thus I will say "cookies" instead and bid you farewell, for I forecast a Thread Locking to occour here soon.

This topic is more infertile than the Sahara Desert anyways, nothing will sprout from it.

20. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    lets see now....

1. they pissed off a lot of people by removing other/os
    2. they made themselves look like jackasses with their idiotic useless court cases
    3. they pissed off anon BIG FUCKING MISTAKE!
    4. they didn't encrypt cc endangering 2.2m peoples accounts

yeah i'd like to see them bounce back from all that no one is going to trust them ever again except the small bunch of moronic die hard psx whores they have left and it's very small indeed!! [​IMG]

the only thing they have managed to do well is show everyone just how greedy and pathetic they really are!!!!!!

--- end of line ----