Playing PSX backups without modchip/swap trick?

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by cros107, Jul 31, 2016.

1. cros107
    OP

cros107 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 3, 2016
    I dug up my brother's old PS1 the other day, looking to play some games on it. Is it possible to play backups/homebrew without modchip or swap trick? The one game I found was scratched beyond repair and wouldn't boot.

2. DaFixer

DaFixer Dare to be stupid

Aug 29, 2010
    Netherlands
    In my mencave ;)
    Not really, there are some cheat cartridge with a "hidden" option to boot backups.
    But for those you need a expansion slot on the back off the PSX, and those cartridges are now days hard to find.
    When I got my PSX (in +/- 1998) I modded it, a friend of mine got a MovieCard (+ AcrionReplay) for his PSX.
    You can play VCD's,use cheats (ActionReplay clone) and play back ups.
    But for playing backups you need to do some kind of swaptrick what I remember.

[​IMG]

3. cros107
    OP

cros107 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 3, 2016
    Yeah. That's what I don't want to do. Spend any money. And I can't do the swap trick because I don't have a working game.

4. draxoon

draxoon Member

Newcomer
    May 19, 2007
    Poland
    Ivory Tower
    PSIO allows you to play games from SD card, but it's rather expensive. Still, modchip is a cheapest way to run backups on PS1.

Edit: Right, without spending money there's not much you can do. Except looking for someone willing to part with his stuff for free...

Last edited by draxoon, Jul 31, 2016
  5. cros107
    OP

cros107 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 3, 2016
    And there's no way to somehow make a legit backup disc?

6. Vappy

Vappy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 23, 2012
    If we could just make legit PS1 discs, there'd be no need for any kind of backup-enabling tools. Can't you just buy some crappy game for a few dollars on eBay?

7. raulpica

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Supervisor
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    PowerLevel: 9001
    Please keep in mind that the swap trick will only work on super-early systems, so you're probably out of luck.

Modchip or bust.