Playing online with CFW?

Discussion in 'PSP - Hacking & Homebrew' started by chaosdarkneo, Sep 18, 2011.

Sep 18, 2011
  1. chaosdarkneo
    OP

Member chaosdarkneo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Do I need to update my CFW? I really don't want to go back to OFW, because I love my emulators. I'd be willing to give them up if I still at least had CFW. I heard that some emulators don't work with the latest CFW (6.20/6.35/6.60)

What exactly do I have to do to get online working on my PSP? I haven't tried it yet for fear I might get banned or bricked. (I doubt it, but still scared.)

Do I have to update to the latest CFW?
    Do I have to install something? (Plugin?)
    What other things?

Please help, and thanks in advance. Treat me like a noob. All I did was follow instructions to hack my PSP. I'm not literate in all the terminology of PSP hacking.

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    The guy that was working on Prometheus moved to the PRO firmware, for 6.x, that plays new games and still runs most old homebrews (including the emulators) and has native PSN access.

The only emulators I'm aware of that don't work with 6.x are the 1.50 emulators, and they're not the best anyways.

I suggest you switch to 6.x PRO for it's native PSN access. The softmod/hack sticky will show you how to.

3. chaosdarkneo
    OP

United States
    I have a fully-hackable PSP 2000. Can I have a permanent CFW? (Does the permanent patch make it a permanent CFW on the 2000? I mean, does it work for 2000's?)

EDIT: Also, I have a lot of saves from my backups. I think I read somewhere that updating makes them incompatible with the new CFW.

Could you clarify on this?

4. Rydian

United States
    Yes, it works on 2000s.

As far as updating making them incompatible, I have no clue. Only some people report this issue, I'm not one of them, I've no experience with it.

5. chaosdarkneo
    OP

United States
    Oh... thanks with everything though.

I'm going to do some research with the save-corrupting thing, but all in all, I'm generally going to update.

It makes more sense than staying on an old, unsupported (since the developer joined the one to update to XD) firmware.

Thanks Rydian.

EDIT: O.o Why are there so many people reading my topic?! Is it that interesting...? Oh, I found a plugin for you guys that fixes corrupt saves if you need it

It's called MagicSave. It decrypts saves so they work again. I'm not entirely sure how it works, but I'll report back with it later.

EDIT2: I've looked around and I notice 6.60 is also permanent patchable... is there any real important difference between that and 6.20? I'd rather just go with the one that's more simple.

6. Rydian

United States
    A lot of people probably want to see how to access PSN.

6.20's version is safer and works on more models than the 6.60 version, which is why I recommend it.
    In your case however the 6.60 patch will work just fine.