Playing Minecraft on original Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by mashers, Dec 21, 2015.

1. mashers
    OP

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    Hi everyone

I'm going to give my original Wii to my nephew. He plays Minecraft pocket edition on his iPad but is getting frustrated with the limitations and would like the full version, but he doesn't have access to a computer capable of running it. Is it possible to run the desktop version of Minecraft on an original Wii? Either by running Linux with a Java VM, or a java VM native to the Wii, or some other method?

Thanks in advance!

2. MassExplosion213

MassExplosion213 .

Feb 15, 2015
    United States
    Wii Linux should be able to run Minecraft up until version 1.6. That is when they forced the processor to have OpenGL2.1 compat.

3. mashers
    OP

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    Thanks buddy! Is there a recommended distro?

4. MassExplosion213

MassExplosion213 .

Feb 15, 2015
    United States
    For stability? The best as far as stability is Whiite, if I'm not mistaken..

5. Wiimpathy

Wiimpathy GBAtemp Fan

Mar 3, 2010
    France
    Easy Wii Linux.

Regarding minecraft running with it, don't waste your time! Even if you manage to install it, with the remaing ram in wii linux, and the cpu, you won't be able to play.

6. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    I don't think he'd be able to do much with it. I seem to remember Minecraft being rather memory intensive, not to mention a lot of the mods. Honestly, you could probably get it running on just about any old PC anymore, as long as it has at least 1GB of RAM. I seem to remember a mod that optimizes it well enough to make it playable, even on my old laptop back when I tried it out. After a bit of googling, I found the mod, it's OptiFine.

7. Jwiz33

Jwiz33

Banned
    Jun 5, 2014
    United States
    in the illuminati headquar—I have said too much!
    Would this work with WiiLinux?

8. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    I don't know exactly the system requirements of Minecraft, I haven't touched it in years, but I'm fairly sure the Wii simply doesn't have the RAM. It has a whole whopping 88MB of RAM (well, not really quite that much as it's divided up). Java programs tend to use a lot of RAM. I might be wrong and it doesn't need much RAM for playing vanilla, I don't really care to try it, so I can only say try it if you want to know for sure.

Jwiz33 likes this.
  9. mashers
    OP

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    Thanks for the replies guys. I've given him the Wii now, and decided not to pursue running MC on it. I think the poor performance would be too frustrating for him. I might look in to a cheap MC-capable netbook or something similar.

10. nl255

nl255 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 9, 2004
    You could also get him an inexpensive Android TV stick and run the Android version of Minecraft PE which does support mods (not as many, but there is villager trading mod among others). Said TV stick can also run emulators better than a Wii can, just be sure it has at least a 1.5GHz quad core CPU (2GHz+ is better) and is ARM based. Also be sure it is easily rooted and/or has a custom ROM for it (such as Finless).

11. mashers
    OP

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    Woah, that's a great idea. I'll need to check if Android MC-PE supports all of the redstone items. This is the main issue he has with the iOS PE as he can't use repeaters or pistons.

12. MassExplosion213

MassExplosion213 .

Feb 15, 2015
    United States
    Redstone was added in the latest(?) update.

13. mashers
    OP

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    Just checked, it's still basic redstone, no repeaters or pistons. But there's a mod which adds them so I think this could work!