Playing from a External Hard-Drive

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by kguy528, Aug 17, 2009.

Aug 17, 2009
  1. kguy528
    OP

Newcomer kguy528 Member

United States
    Hello, I'm wondering if I need to get my Wii modded in order to run games from my external Harddrive.

Currently, my Wii is un-modded, and it has the Homebrew Channel and the USB loader channel. I don't want to erase everything on the external harddrive to test it out just in case it won't work, so that is why I am asking here first. Thanks in advance. Also, I made a topic in the emulation and hardware section too. I wasn't sure where, sorry. [​IMG]

2. imapterodactyl

Member imapterodactyl GBAtemp Fan

United States
    If you have the Homebrew Channel and USB Loader, then your Wii IS modded. Just not hard-modded, which you definitely don't need anyway.

You WILL need WBFS management software if you want to install ISOs to your drive. I highly recommend WBFS Manager 3.01.

wbfsmanager.codeplex.com

3. kguy528
    OP

Newcomer kguy528 Member

United States
    I don't want to install the ISOs on my wii. I only want to be able to run them from my external harddrive that I can plug into the USB outlet on my wii. But do I HAVE to install the .iso files on my external harddrives to my wii to play them?

4. jabmaster2

Member jabmaster2 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    U CAN'T install isos to a wii ever. I think ur greatly confused. Yes you HAVE to play them from a harddrive external with a wbfs patition. You need a cios installed for USB loader loader to work and judgeing by ur comments u wouldn't know an ios from a iso anyways. U shld do alittle resaerch and look for one of the many guides on soft modding ur wii. Yes ur wii is technically modded to have a USB loader and homebrew channell

5. kguy528
    OP

Newcomer kguy528 Member

United States
    The other poster said " if you want to install ISOs to your drive."

Oh, so I can't just drag and drop the wii games on to my hard drive?
    And how do I get a cios?

6. Ichiban

Member Ichiban GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    O.o o.k if I was you, read some threads/guides on this site, lol have fun ^^

7. Senbonzaku101

Member Senbonzaku101 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Simple drag and drop won't work, you need a WBFS manager software on your PC. This will format the drive and erase all files unless you multi-partition it. You can also find a USB Device Compatibility Wiki on this site and see if your drive is listed.

To install a CIOS (Waninkoko rev10/14 or Hermes) you need certain installers, and additional WAD's if offline installing.

As the above poster stated, find one of the guides on this forum (some are stickied). They will guide you through it, and have a pack of most if not all files you need. The standard procedure is HomebrewChannel->Bootmii->DVDx->Trucha Restore->CIOS249->System Menu 4.1->USB/SD Loader

8. kguy528
    OP

Newcomer kguy528 Member

United States
  9. Senbonzaku101

Member Senbonzaku101 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Search for WiiScrubber 1.4 on google for the latest. It comes with a key.bin generator as well. Why do you need it?

10. Caliban

Newcomer Caliban Member

United States
    http://gwht.wikidot.com/

Use the above link, follow the guide (though I bypassed the format/partition part and just let the USB Loader take care of it after I cleared the drive with a FAT format on my PC) and you should be up and running in 30 minutes. If you read twice, do once there shouldn't be a problem. It's a great guide!