Playing around with hans n3ds clockspeed feature.

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by crpace, Aug 7, 2016.

1. crpace
    OP

crpace Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 7, 2016
    United States
    When I saw that you could change the clock speed of a game by running it through the homebrew application "hans" i wanted to test it out on some of my games.

Xenoblade at 268Mhz: to my surpise it opened. I loaded up a save at Mechonis Field and the first thing I noticed was the slow walk speed, the zr and zl buttons and c stick wouldn't work. i tried to get into a fight, it took 5 seconds for the characters to draw their weapons and about 8 seconds for Melia's spear break.

Senran Kagura Burst at 804Mhz: after testing a new game on old hardware i wanted to test an old game on hardware it otherwise cant take advantage of. Senran Kagura is known for 2 things fan service and a bad frame rate. playing at new 3ds specs causes a huge boost. The game plays consistently above 30 FPS. If you have a N3ds and this game i recommend you give this a try.

Other: On most other games you just get faster load times, however virtual console game wont even load into the hans menu upon selection.

2. AlexTheRose

AlexTheRose Member

Newcomer
    Oct 2, 2010
    Between the whale and wasp
    It's sorta embarrassing that titles depend on a boosted clock rate to perform well graphically. What kind of abysmal coding nightmare is sitting in those games that makes a 268MHz MPCore struggle?

3. RupeeClock

RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

May 15, 2008
    Yeah, this isn't anything new. Depending on how the game is programmed if it has a capped framerate but it sometimes dips below that cap, forcing it to use N3DS clock speeds can help it hit and stay at that cap.

As a matter of fact, playing games at N3DS clock speeds is a feature of Luma 3DS CFW. Hans has the issue of requiring a homebrew entrypoint and not being able to boot some games.