Play Starcraft 2 Offline?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by zfreeman, Apr 13, 2019.

1. zfreeman
    OP

zfreeman GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 9, 2013
    United States
    Pennsylvania
    Am I able to buy a used copy, pop in the disk, install, and play the single-player campaign? If not, what would I need for a perpetually offline installation?

2. blahblah

blahblah GBAtemp Maniac

May 16, 2018
    United States
    PC games do not work that way. PC games have not been viable to buy used since.....2004? Earlier, really, with cdkey reuse and whatnot. You cannot buy a used copy of Starcraft 2 and play it. The cdkey is required to activate (play) the game and the cdkey gets bound to the Battle.net account it was first used with. It cannot be unbound.

No, you cannot (through legitimate means) play Starcraft 2 offline perpetually. You will, from time to time, need to go online to extend the length of time available offline. I think it lets you play offline for two weeks or so.

There is no LAN mode offline (for Multiplayer) as well as most other non-campaign modes, so offline mode is of limited use.

Last edited by blahblah, Apr 13, 2019
    zfreeman likes this.
  3. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    You might want to clarify things a bit. You see, starcraft 2 is free to play. That is : the base game (wings of liberty) consisting of the Terran campaign and basic online ladder play is completely free since November. The expansions contain the other two campaigns, so "starcraft 2" is in a way all three.

I still have that original DVD. I can't look it up right now but I'm fairly sure internet was a requirement, so just trying it on an offline pc probably won't work

4. zfreeman
    OP

zfreeman GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 9, 2013
    United States
    Pennsylvania
    The question was about the game's posterity. Once the server's are shut down, will the game still have a means to be played? I assume there will have to be an eventual patch or a third-party server for the game to be played in the future.

5. blahblah

blahblah GBAtemp Maniac

May 16, 2018
    United States
    Blizzard is still running the Warcraft 2: Battle.Net Edition servers. There is no indication that the servers ever will be shut down.

In the event that they are, piracy will save you. As it always does.