Play cia games with Gateway?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by saito1234, Aug 6, 2017.

1. saito1234
    OP

saito1234 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 24, 2008
    United States
    So far I only played 3ds games from the Red card, but I would like to play cia games now.
    Could someone help me out?

I am a little confused, how can I do this with Gateway? What is the best method?

I read FBI is a good tool for CIA, can I use that with Gateway? Also, do I need it? Or is that only needed for cfw?

2. Pyra

Pyra GBAtemp Fan

May 7, 2017
    United States
    Ohio, USA
    just use cfw for .cia games. you should dump gateway entirely, because it's unsafe to use compared to cfw, but if you must use it, just use cfw for .cia games at least

3ds.guide

Sent from my SM-G360T using Tapatalk

Lacius likes this.
  3. saito1234
    OP

Newcomer
    Nov 24, 2008
    United States
    Could you tell me why is it unsafe? So far I always played with Gateway.

If possible I wouldn't like to install a cfw as I don't want to risk bricking my 3DS.

I think gateway also has a feature to install CIA games, but I never tried it yet.

Last edited by saito1234, Aug 6, 2017
  4. Pyra

Pyra GBAtemp Fan

May 7, 2017
    United States
    Ohio, USA
    because if you accidentally update, it'll be rendered useless, while cfw won't be

also, the odds of your 3ds bricking while installing cfw are so low that it isn't even really a concern anymore

Sent from my SM-G360T using Tapatalk

5. Garou

Garou GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 13, 2015
    yes you're right, install CIA with FBI. same method in Gateway or other CFWs
    Gateway can run installed CIA

there's no reason not to update to B9S though, it's fast, safe and it can even run along fine with Gateway (so long you don't update past 11.2)

6. saito1234
    OP

Newcomer
    Nov 24, 2008
    United States
    Thanks.
    Well maybe I will try to install the cfw based on this linked guide when I have time, it looks good.

If I want to try FBI with Gateway is there anything else I need to do first? Or nothing else is needed? I have Gateway + emunand, nothing else is installed to my system.

7. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    You can run fbi.3ds from your Gateway card to install cias.

8. saito1234
    OP

Newcomer
    Nov 24, 2008
    United States
    I have tried it out and I have a kinda interesting experience. Maybe someone can tell me if this is normal ,or not?

I have installed 3 games with FBI.
    2 games work excellent, no problem at all, however the third one has some interesting stuff when exiting the game.

Game plays normally, however when I exit the game from the menu, it will uninstall the game from the home screen, and exits from the emuNAND to the normal nand, and next time when I enter the emuNAND the 3DS will say that I have a new package, and the game will be back.

I have also tried to turn off the 3DS while playing, and the same thing happened, when I start up the 3DS again, and enter into emuNAND, it will say I have a new package, and the gift box will open...

Did anyone else experience something like this?
    Is this maybe normal?

9. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    The gift wrapping issue is a common issue caused by having linked sysNAND and emuNAND, when you boot into sysNAND any games that are installed on emuNAND but not on sysNAND will be gift wrapped, and vice versa when you boot into emuNAND. To solve that you can format your sysNAND by using TinyFormat.
    The reason it kicks you back to sysNAND is because it's an extended memory mode game and when you run those on an o3DS, the system has to reboot to close some background apps to free up memory, and restart them when you close the game.
    Neither of these would be an issue if you were using B9S because it would automatically boot into emuNAND without even loading sysNAND beforehand.
    B9S can still be used with Gateway, you can follow http://3ds.guide to install it and there's another guide on how to get Gateway working with it afterwards. That way you can also easily dual boot Luma3DS and Gateway and switch between them by just holding a button on boot. Just make sure you never boot 11.3+ sysNAND in Gateway Mode, or update your sysNAND in Gateway Mode, Gateway should be used with emuNAND only as it's unsafe to use on sysNAND, also Gateway only works with 11.2 and below so you can't update your emuNAND to latest firmware, however you can have latest firmware on sysNAND and use it for Luma only while keeping emuNAND for Gateway (but that would cause the same issue with gift wrapping unless you unlink the NANDs)
    For CIAs I recommend using FreeShop, it's an eShop alternative that allows you to download/install most CIA games directly on your 3DS, it can be downloaded through FBI's TitleDB, and you need to scan the QR code from the 3DS title keys website (google it) in the FreeShop settings and then restart the app to get it working.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Aug 6, 2017
    saito1234 likes this.
  10. MrJason005

MrJason005 √2

Nov 26, 2014
    Greece
    Κάπου
    Bricking is impossible unless you deliberately try to brick it yourself, by not having the console plugged in to the charger and/or pulling your SD card out during the installation process.