Plan for a GBAtemp Spire Proxy Host?

Discussion in 'iPhone, iPod & iPad' started by Lucifer666, Jan 14, 2012.

Jan 14, 2012
  1. Lucifer666
    OP

Member Lucifer666 all the world needs is me

Antarctica
    Hello Tempers.

Before I continue, I just really, really hope this does not break the GBAtemp rules in anyway. If it does, do just delete this thread and forget about it.

So, yeah here goes:
    After hearing about Spire, I've figured out that all free available proxy hosts are overcrowded, and so I thought that maybe we should have our own GBAtemp Spire proxy host.

The guides to start one include this one from GBAtemp and this one from an external website.

Now here's the plan: I'm a complete Linux noob (got my first Linux OS which is Ubuntu only last week), so I'm going to need someone who's willing to actually host the server on his/her Linux computer and keep it up and running.

I don't want to be useless so I wouldn't mind being financial support, since I really can't help in actually hosting the server itself. If you know anyone who'd give you his/her iPhone 4S keys for a price, I can probably cover that will PayPal.

So, basically, all I need is:
    • Someone who will actually host the Spire proxy
    • Someone who (has a friend that?) wants to give out 4S keys
    Also, we're gonna want to keep this Spire proxy GBAtemp-exclusive.. Only way I can think of is by having this thread only visible to signed in members. I wonder if any mod has the ability to do so once the proxy is up and running.

So, yeah. Cheers :yay:

Do feel free to PM me should you ever need to.

EDIT: Another matter we'll need to discuss is the fact that many people (including myself) are often having problems actually downloading Spire, as it keeps getting stuck at the "Preparing Spire" phase, so if anyone knows an alternative repo/source to get Spire from, please do share it here. :)

2. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    You could just have it that to get the address you have to PM you - that way people HAVE to be a signed in member to get the address, and you can check how long they've been a member, post count etc. to make sure they are a "proper" member of GBAtemp

2 people like this.
  3. HaniKazmi

Member HaniKazmi GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    We tried setting this up a while ago.
    As I posted last thread, I'm willing to donate a key, and [m]Devin[/m] was willing to pay for hosting
    The problem we ran into was that the key needs to be renewed every day, and we thought it wasn't worth it until that was bypassed somehow.

4. Lucifer666
    OP

Member Lucifer666 all the world needs is me

Antarctica
    That's actually a good idea. I didn't think of that. Thanks :)

Which is exactly why I'll pay for someone to give the keys. Note that I'm still a school student so my money is limited, but I'll do my absolute best.

5. Devin

Member Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

United States
    Yes, as mentioned before we've tried to host one before. (HaniKazmi has 4S keys.) The only issue we came to was that the 4S' keys would need to be renewed every day. So if someone doesn't mind giving out their renewed keys ever day, this plan would work. There's a Ubuntu VPN, that we were going to use. ($8.99 a month I believe.) That would suffice for host a Siri server.

6. SifJar

United Kingdom
    Is there no app to automatically upload the keys daily or something?

7. Hakoda

Member Hakoda GBAtemp Addict

United States
    You might be able to code a script to force the 4S to send its key to the Temp's servers for the first use of Siri on that particular day. Another problem with that method is that you'd have to wait for the 4S owner to use Siri that day.

Perhaps with root access from pod-2g's untether, you can just have a script extract the 4S's keys every night at midnight without the initiation from the owner.

8. Devin

United States
    Didn't a untethered jailbreak just get released? (I saw the thread, but haven't gotten to reading it yet.)

9. ThatDudeWithTheFood

Member ThatDudeWithTheFood TRIANGLEZ

United States
    From what i've seen its almost out and yeah we already tried doing this and thought it would be stupid until you could bypass the keys expiring.

10. SifJar

United Kingdom
    The later option is more what I was thinking of.

11. Devin

United States
    Sounds like a plan coming together. I should be running into some more money soon, is someone going to host it, or should we go with the VPN idea once more?

12. clonesniper666

Member clonesniper666 KRII LUN AUS

United States
    I would be up to contributing some for a Spire server, although I too am a college student so funds are limited and having to get a new iPhone soon will not help the matter either, but I will donate as much as I can.

13. Thesolcity

Member Thesolcity Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.

United States
    The only thing with a spire proxy is Apple can/will initiate ban waves.

14. 431unknown

Member 431unknown Greatness Awaits

United States
    Honestly I don't see this being worth the time and effort. It sounds good on paper, but when it's all said and done it just don't seem practical.

15. bdr9

Member bdr9 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    The hardest part would be getting renewed 4S keys every day. If we had a big list of keys, I would guess that some kind of script could be created to automatically use one of them to renew it every day. We would just need a lot of people to give their keys.