Apple Plan for a GBAtemp Spire Proxy Host?

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Tempers.

Before I continue, I just really, really hope this does not break the GBAtemp rules in anyway. If it does, do just delete this thread and forget about it.

So, yeah here goes:
After hearing about Spire, I've figured out that all free available proxy hosts are overcrowded, and so I thought that maybe we should have our own GBAtemp Spire proxy host.

The guides to start one include this one from GBAtemp and this one from an external website.

Now here's the plan: I'm a complete Linux noob (got my first Linux OS which is Ubuntu only last week), so I'm going to need someone who's willing to actually host the server on his/her Linux computer and keep it up and running.

I don't want to be useless so I wouldn't mind being financial support, since I really can't help in actually hosting the server itself. If you know anyone who'd give you his/her iPhone 4S keys for a price, I can probably cover that will PayPal.

So, basically, all I need is:
  • Someone who will actually host the Spire proxy
  • Someone who (has a friend that?) wants to give out 4S keys
Also, we're gonna want to keep this Spire proxy GBAtemp-exclusive.. Only way I can think of is by having this thread only visible to signed in members. I wonder if any mod has the ability to do so once the proxy is up and running.

So, yeah. Cheers :yay:

Do feel free to PM me should you ever need to.

EDIT: Another matter we'll need to discuss is the fact that many people (including myself) are often having problems actually downloading Spire, as it keeps getting stuck at the "Preparing Spire" phase, so if anyone knows an alternative repo/source to get Spire from, please do share it here. :)

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Also, we're gonna want to keep this Spire proxy GBAtemp-exclusive.. Only way I can think of is by having this thread only visible to signed in members. I wonder if any mod has the ability to do so once the proxy is up and running.

You could just have it that to get the address you have to PM you - that way people HAVE to be a signed in member to get the address, and you can check how long they've been a member, post count etc. to make sure they are a "proper" member of GBAtemp

Reactions: 2 people

HaniKazmi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
We tried setting this up a while ago.
As I posted last thread, I'm willing to donate a key, and [m]Devin[/m] was willing to pay for hosting
The problem we ran into was that the key needs to be renewed every day, and we thought it wasn't worth it until that was bypassed somehow.

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

You could just have it that to get the address you have to PM you - that way people HAVE to be a signed in member to get the address, and you can check how long they've been a member, post count etc. to make sure they are a "proper" member of GBAtemp

That's actually a good idea. I didn't think of that. Thanks :)

We tried setting this up a while ago.
As I posted last thread, I'm willing to donate a key, and [m]Devin[/m] was willing to pay for hosting
The problem we ran into was that the key needs to be renewed every day, and we thought it wasn't worth it until that was bypassed somehow.

Which is exactly why I'll pay for someone to give the keys. Note that I'm still a school student so my money is limited, but I'll do my absolute best.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, as mentioned before we've tried to host one before. (HaniKazmi has 4S keys.) The only issue we came to was that the 4S' keys would need to be renewed every day. So if someone doesn't mind giving out their renewed keys ever day, this plan would work. There's a Ubuntu VPN, that we were going to use. ($8.99 a month I believe.) That would suffice for host a Siri server.

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Is there no app to automatically upload the keys daily or something?
You might be able to code a script to force the 4S to send its key to the Temp's servers for the first use of Siri on that particular day. Another problem with that method is that you'd have to wait for the 4S owner to use Siri that day.

Perhaps with root access from pod-2g's untether, you can just have a script extract the 4S's keys every night at midnight without the initiation from the owner.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You might be able to code a script to force the 4S to send its key to the Temp's servers for the first use of Siri on that particular day. However, without root access on the 4S, this is unlikely.

Didn't a untethered jailbreak just get released? (I saw the thread, but haven't gotten to reading it yet.)

ThatDudeWithTheFood

TRIANGLEZ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You might be able to code a script to force the 4S to send its key to the Temp's servers for the first use of Siri on that particular day. However, without root access on the 4S, this is unlikely.

Didn't a untethered jailbreak just get released? (I saw the thread, but haven't gotten to reading it yet.)
From what i've seen its almost out and yeah we already tried doing this and thought it would be stupid until you could bypass the keys expiring.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You might be able to code a script to force the 4S to send its key to the Temp's servers for the first use of Siri on that particular day. Another problem with that method is that you'd have to wait for the 4S owner to use Siri that day.

Perhaps with root access from pod-2g's untether, you can just have a script extract the 4S's keys every night at midnight without the initiation from the owner.

The later option is more what I was thinking of.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like a plan coming together. I should be running into some more money soon, is someone going to host it, or should we go with the VPN idea once more?

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Honestly I don't see this being worth the time and effort. It sounds good on paper, but when it's all said and done it just don't seem practical.

bdr9

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The hardest part would be getting renewed 4S keys every day. If we had a big list of keys, I would guess that some kind of script could be created to automatically use one of them to renew it every day. We would just need a lot of people to give their keys.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🫂 +1