PKHeX adds experimental Sword/Shield support

pkhex_swsh.jpg

The devs promised an update shortly after the new games' release and they have kept their word! PKHeX now sports experimental support for the latest Pokémon titles on the Nintendo Switch, Sword and Shield: not only all your usual Pokémon genning and modification functions are in, but Pokédex, Item and Trainer Info editing are there as well. An initial legality checker for 8th gen species is also included!

People who have already messed around with their Pokémon likely need no introduction to PKHeX, however, if it's the first time you hear about it, this tool can be described as a PC based general-purpose save editor for the series' games. All mainline titles are supported, from Gen I all the way to VIII, including LGPE. Its usage is simple: you only need to obtain your game's save file (emulators and consoles are both supported, you will need to use a dumper if playing on the former) and open it in the program, then you'll be greeted with a UI that can be described as an amped-up Pokémon Storage Box. After that, the sky is the limit: you can either modify your own creatures or generate new ones from thin air! You can also export your Pokémon as individual files that can be shared to other users and get re-imported later, making PKHeX also a sort of free homebrew bank, transfer and cloning service. And, as hinted before, it doesn't stop there: many more features are also available, such as legality checking, bag editing as well as other game-specific ones (ribbon editing, mystery gift injection and so on)!

Other minor improvements for earlier games have also been added. Here are the official release notes:
release notes said:
19/11/15 - New Update:
- Introducing Sword/Shield support! Thanks @SciresM and @sora10pls for troubleshooting prior to release!
- - Initial Legality Checking is provided. Please refer to the forums when reporting legality issues for Generation 8 parsing.
- - Bag editing, Pokédex, and Trainer Info editing is provided.
- Changed: PKHeX.Core.dll is now merged in with the main executable.
- Changed: PKHeX.WinForms spriting has now been split into a separate project. On build, it is merged into the main executable.
- Changed: .NET Core 3 support added for WinForms builds. .NET Framework 4.6 build is still the main build option.
- Changed: Project internals now use C# language version 8, the latest. Nullable compiler checks enabled for PKHeX.Core.
- Removed: Mono build no longer required due to font loading rework. No platform specific code remains!
- Changed: Slot grids are now generated instead of manually created. Party and Battle Box now appear differently.
- Changed: Encounter Slot generators now use game-specific logic to yield slots.
- Fixed: Gen6 Fashion for females now exposes the remaining fields.
- Fixed: Legality parsing for misc things fixed. Thanks @Rayqo, @steph9009, @iiippppk!
- Fixed: Mystery Gift received flags are now set correctly. Thanks tsubasa830!
- Fixed: Loading box data binaries now applies it to the current box. Thanks @PKMWM1!
- Fixed: Gen4 Poketch now behaves correctly in the editor, no longer deleting itself.

However, as it's been said from the get-go, keep in mind Sword/Shield support should be considered experimental for the time being. Even if PKHeX offers automatic backups, it's always a good idea to make your own if you care about your save file - so it should be twice as important to keep an original, unedited copy somewhere when even the devs tell you there may be unexpected results. Be sure to warn them if anything's not right: reporting issues on their GitHub repo (linked below) is encouraged!

Keep your game progress safe - one pre-emptive backup can solve a million headaches later!

:download: Downloads
:arrow: Source

Last edited by RattletraPM,

Tapri

Forum Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never used online battles or trades, I also refused to use pkhex unless i finished the main story of the game or if I'm doing a new playthrough. I haven't hacked my switch so I don't have any intentions of using this for shield. I'm also curious what happens if you inject Pokemon that aren't "supported", if it'll crash the game or just show up as a question mark or something else.

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm also curious what happens if you inject Pokemon that aren't "supported", if it'll crash the game or just show up as a question mark or something else.
If it's anything like LGPE, it'll default to a different Pokemon (LGPE defaulted to Marowak) for the model, but otherwise be fully functional.

x65943

hunger games round 29 big booba winner
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it's anything like LGPE, it'll default to a different Pokemon (LGPE defaulted to Marowak) for the model, but otherwise be fully functional.
That's pretty interesting - I would have expected you simply get a "corrupt save" message.

TJHeartnote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok if you are trying to import Pokemon from your previous games you will have to wait. They have yet to add Pokemon home as a point of origin. so the legality checker will still bug out.

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
So the ONLY thing wrong is the model ? Nothing else ?
I haven't tested it yet, but in LGPE, yes that was the case.

My guess though is that there's going to be issues with some moves though, since they scrubbed out quite a few (hidden power for example).

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

That's pretty interesting - I would have expected you simply get a "corrupt save" message.
Pokemon is actually fairly hackable, corrupt saves usually only happen if you screw with event flags.

Worst case you get a bad egg.

Reactions: x65943

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'd love to see what happens
It becomes a Pikachu apparently.

what are the downside of using a illegal pokemon? (All EV Stats 255)
Like i won't be able to access some parts of the game?
It's banned from online and whilst I haven't found a Battle Tower-esque facility yet, it'd be banned from that as well.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
This looks like a good way to get all those legendaries in Sun and Moon once the online trading service finally dies.

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
Do you mean the model becomes a pikachu or the entire pokemon becomes a Pikachu with Pikachu's data ?
Probably just model (admittedly this is second hand info).

really even from battle tower?
Always been like that, yes.

D

Deleted-236924

FYI, if you care about editing USUM, don't use this. Keep the previous stable release around, or commit a70769d at the most. Anything past that breaks a checksum which causes the game to fail to load the save file.

If you've edited and saved a USUM file using this release, and you didn't keep a backup, load it in a previous release and re-save, and it'll fix the checksums for you.

Hotfix has been uploaded which fixes this.

Last edited by ,
Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1