Hacking PKG files and PKGS files

MRsonic699

OP
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
So well, the new PKG Installer 2.0 has just been released, but in spite of its name, it doesn't install PKG files, and rather installs PKGS files. I'm not a dev guy, so what's the difference between them actually? I was told by Silica (the creator) that I can only install a PKG file if I know "how to extract it". Is that already possible? I do have some software that I would love to install, in form of PKG files, from the old PKG files list.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can enlighten me.

jimmyleen

Trophies
XP
Country
So well, the new PKG Installer 2.0 has just been released, but in spite of its name, it doesn't install PKG files, and rather installs PKGS files. I'm not a dev guy, so what's the difference between them actually? I was told by Silica (the creator) that I can only install a PKG file if I know "how to extract it". Is that already possible? I do have some software that I would love to install, in form of PKG files, from the old PKG files list.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can enlighten me.

PKG: are for things like dev apps that requires decryption, kernel access, and the ability to turn a retail vita into a dev unit.

PKGS: is only for game demos, full games, themes, and dlc. Which all requires decryption, but I don't know if kernel access is still required.

Edit: we can already take some dev tools/apps and put theme on our retail ps vita's, the problem is in order to run those dev tools/apps we would need kernel access along with the ability to turn retail vita's into dev units.

Last edited by jimmyleen,

dante-feline

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PKG: are for things like dev apps that requires decryption, kernel access, and the ability to turn a retail vita into a dev unit.

PKGS: is only for game demos, full games, themes, and dlc. Which all requires decryption, but I don't know if kernel access is still required.

Edit: we can already take some dev tools/apps and put theme on our retail ps vita's, the problem is in order to run those dev tools/apps we would need kernel access along with the ability to turn retail vita's into dev units.

Is that the case? Because I've been downloading demos identical to the ones that are .pkgs format in .pkg.
They're honestly the same exact files aside from the file extension (and evidently encryption). Even the file sizes are identical.

Edit: I lied. The "Colors [Demo] [US]" PKGS file is 10.0 mb, whereas the PKG file is 10.8 mb.

Last edited by dante-feline,

leerz

Trophies
Website
leerz25.sitesled.com
XP
Country
is it just me, or did we really mislook: https://streetskaterfu.blogspot.com/2011/11/ps-vita-pkg-xtractor-100.html

Friday, November 25, 2011
PS VITA .pkg xTractor 1.00

After two sleepless nights and great help of iQD and PS3-690, finally the PS VITA .pkg xTractor application 1.00 is finished.

This program can decrypt & extract PS VITA game package (.pkg) files.

To use the program you need to place the PS VITA .pkg AES key in the same dir as the executable.

Funny as SONY is, they probably were to lazy to think of a new key and just used *hehe*, the PSP .pkg AES key.

ninjaedit

ahh wait, extract is different from decrypt.

Reactions: MDashK

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: you wanna know the worst night i had?