Piratebox

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by WatchGintama, Dec 24, 2014.

1. WatchGintama
    OP

WatchGintama GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 22, 2009
    United States
    First off, this isn't anything illegal. I just wanted to share and see if anyone else knows about this. If you're into tinkering with things, I highly suggest doing this as a free time project. It's really cool.

Piratebox is an offline file sharing server that's not connected to the internet. It runs off a raspberry pi, android phone, or an old router. Because it's not connected to the internet, you aren't being spied on by the NSA. Of course, unless they are within your proximity and connect to your piratebox.

To put it in simply, you run the piratebox software and it tethers your connection/SSID. When people connect to your SSID, it sends them to a webpage where they can share files and chat anonymously (IP and stuff aren't logged.) There are other features you can add to your piratebox such as an imageboard, UPNP server for media playback, etc.

Uses scenarios:
    A place with no internet and you need to share files
    A teacher can run a piratebox to to distribute and collect homework
    At your own music concert to share your music files and sheets
    At university dorms to share homework, slideshows, and PDF
    At LAN parties
    On Airplanes to share airplane safety documents

I just setup my old not-in-use Nexus 4 as PB. Not sure what I'll use mine for, but the possibilities and endless.

PirateBox for android (Google Play)
    PirateBox official website

Margen67 likes this.
  2. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    This looks tremendously useless for the average person. Neat though, I suppose.

3. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    You lost me at NSA. I'm sorry dude we just don't have any more tinfoil hats.

The entire premise of this is ruined by cloud storage and various other mediums already existing and being much more efficient at doing the same things. The internet wins again.

4. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino May Fire

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    So it's a simplified FTP application?

5. prowler
    This message by prowler has been removed from public view by Veho, Dec 25, 2014, Reason: Not an imageboard.
    Dec 25, 2014
  6. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    prowler This worries me, namely because the books on this dude's shelf are in Polish. :mellow:

7. purupuru

purupuru GBAtemp Regular

Oct 10, 2013
    United States
    It's probably more practical to use a bicycle to deliver a thumb drive than this setup

8. TyBlood13

TyBlood13 Weeaboo Trash

Jul 1, 2012
    United States
    Kentucky
    I set up a Plex server like this when my internet went out for a week. Just seemed impractical once my normal internet was back since I had to have all my devices connect in an either/or fashion to the SSIDs

9. lytro

lytro GBAtemp Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    Gambia, The
    Interesting.

But not necessary, yet.

10. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    It looks like a BBA (old, private server before internet was the common thing where people connected to).

It was private servers hosted by users and only users who knew about it could connect to that BBA using their 56k modem by calling home (instead of numerating/calling the ISP number before ADSL was possible, you called the private number).
    You ended up paying for per-minute phone call communication, but it was private network.