Hacking piracy has gotten too easy.

thedicemaster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
putty, from the same forum as the people who brought us 6.3Xpro managed to repack and sign an iso of angry birds so it could be launched on any PSP with firmware 6.20 or higher, no need for an iso loader, or cfw.
he claims it can be done with any game under 720MB(limit might change if he can find a bigger demo game as source)

his method is to replace the iso in a demo game's eboot.pbp with the iso of a full game, and perhaps some magic or soul-selling.
i have tested his "signed' copy of angry birds and it works as good as if i had bought it myself from PSN.

because of rules on this forum i can't link directly to the source topic, since it contains a download link to angry birds.

this is another big blow to sony, running pirated software straight from the XMB on official firmware.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
No one has managed to work out how to get the latest PSN PSX games onto CFW as of yet so it's not easy, it's just been given a massive boost by someone clever giving people some new tools to play with.

As yet not everyone is just signing their own ISO's, and that topic seems to indicate anything over the largest demo size (PSO) won't be.

omatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm starting to have flashbacks of the Dreamcast.

EDIT:

And despite this, I'd still say this isn't any easier than how simple DS piracy has been for YEARS. It's literally drag-and-drop. The only restriction is whether or not you can afford to pay $40.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Nothing will ever be as stupid as the Dreamcast and it's method of playing copied/downloaded games.

AP? Where we're going we don't need AP!

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
omatic said:

EDIT:

And despite this, I'd still say this isn't any easier than how simple DS piracy has been for YEARS. It's literally drag-and-drop. The only restriction is whether or not you can afford to pay $40.
At least with DS piracy there is the barrier of mail-ordering from China which is something that not all people are willing to do.

Edit: Or at least mail-ordering from somewhere. It's not near as easy as "click, drag, and drop" like on the PSP now.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Snailface said:
omatic said:

EDIT:

At least with DS piracy there is the barrier of mail-ordering from China which is something that not all people are willing to do.
you can order it from the US...
and also a ton of other locations

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
It's not piracy that's all of a sudden gotten easy, it's digital signatures. They were hacked in Windows and several other programs, people are getting the hang of their concept and how to replicate them.

Technik

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Gaah cant find it.
ohnoes.png

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
this kinda sounds like the idea to get easy free games that was suggested by noobs for years and always shot down...
wondering: does that work with ps1 games? 700mb kinda sounds like ps1 game

thedicemaster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Clydefrosch said:
this kinda sounds like the idea to get easy free games that was suggested by noobs for years and always shot down...
wondering: does that work with ps1 games? 700mb kinda sounds like ps1 game
no.
well, not unless you can find a ps1 demo.

sony PSP-PSN eboots are pretty much iso-loaders packaged together with an iso, and they call a driver(NP9660) from flash0 in order to load the included game.
PSN-PS1 eboots however call the pops plugin instead, and with ps1 games some additional info about the iso needs to be included in the eboot so pops knows how to handle it.(this info is for region, game specific patches, and to prevent mixing up saves)
if all the calls for NP9660 would be replaced with calls to pops the changes would probably be too big resulting in the PSP finding out the eboot is not official.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
hm, so that would really be like with the dreamcast, where they added that bootdisk stuff to the isos so everyone could easily burn disks etc?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: F