Pimp My Wii 2.23

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by wiiman123, Jun 11, 2011.

Jun 11, 2011

Pimp My Wii 2.23 by wiiman123 at 3:27 PM (6,255 Views / 0 Likes) 25 replies

1. wiiman123
    OP

Member wiiman123 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

New Zealand
    [​IMG]
    by Attila

News Source & Download - We Brew Wii
    Official Page & Download - Wii-Info.fr

2. jonthedit

Member jonthedit GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Bermuda
    Gotta love this stuff. [​IMG]

Edit : I actually prefer the older one, this update seems to take away from the general Mii edit...

3. Saoron

Newcomer Saoron Member

Australia
    i searched around and this seems to be the latest thread I could find. I got the latest version (2.24) and wanted to try this out for the first time, but every time I try to do something, it crashes. Now I know there is an IOS 202 problem, but from the older threads I read this problem was fixed in the later versions? Or should I just remove it? Do I even need 202?

4. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I wouldn't advise using this app. It has gained the nickname "Brick My Wii" for a good reason. Many others will likely agree.

5. WiiUBricker

Member WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Argentina
    I disagree.

6. Arm73

Member Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy
    I agree that I disagree. [​IMG]

I think it's a great application and I used it many, many times on several Wiis ant they all run great.

Regarding the original question, I have no idea why it crashes.
    There might be something wrong with your SD card, or could it be a bad installation with files missing, or even a bad download.
    Did you install it yourself ?
    If you did everything right, you could also try an older version and see if it boots, then trough the built in online updater, update to the latest version and see if the problem is solved

But really, everybody is raving about Modmii and turning this down, but it's really a very easy and neat application.

7. techboy

United States
    I knew someone would disagree because I said that...PMW is something many don't like though, and I've seen bricks on numerous occasions. Not to mention the fact that it's crash-prone.

Anyway, at the original question, IOS202 isn't really used for much anymore. Some older programs use it, but new stuff (WiiMC, etc.) doesn't need it.

8. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    Pimp My Wii is a good idea, but nothing should mess with every IOS all at once. It also does a lot of bad things like patching every single IOS and updating cIOS's like 222/223 that should stay at an earlier version.

So I definitely stand by techboy on this. Brick My Wii isn't safe.

PS: Who would have thought a user named "Wii Bricker" would support Brick My Wii? Lol.

9. WiiUBricker

Member WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Argentina
    I'm not supporting Pimp My Wii, I wouldn't use it myself. I just disagreed with the opinion of a user claiming that Pimp My Wii would brick Wiis.

10. JoostinOnline

United States
    It doesn't brick every Wii of course, but it does happen.

11. markehmus

Member markehmus GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada

12. Arm73

Italy
    If you somehow manage to conquer your fear, and try to run Pimp my Wii at least once before making accusation based on other people's comment from early , buggy versions, you'll find out that there is an option for a manual installation.
    Pimp my wii analyzes your Wii, and then one by one asks you which IOS would you like to modify.
    A to proceed, B to skip, OK ?
    If you don't need to update cIOS 222/223, then don't.
    Just like when you use Modmii, you have to know what you are doing. I really don't understand what's the big deal here.

Buy the way Saoron, did you manage to get it working ?

13. techboy

United States
    While there is a manual install option, many users of this app don't have any idea what they should and shouldn't install, so they install everything, assuming that it knows best. The IOS222/IOS223 updates are a good example of newer not being better.

As for the app bricking wiis, I've bricked 2 consoles with an older version. Both had Bootmii, and as such were easy to unbrick using MMM (reinstalled SM and SM IOS), but they never should have bricked in the first place.

14. smuddge

Newcomer smuddge Advanced Member

United States
    love it use it on every wii i mod always have. 600+ and never a brick ever.
    i guess for someone unfamiliar with what it is it could be dangerous but again i don't think you should be modding a wii or anything for that matter without through research.
    just my opinion

15. Arm73

Italy
    But even with the automatic installation, it still asks you whether to install or skip each and every IOS.
    So how's that different from other similar application ?
    If you are stupid enough to brick your Wii, you're going to brick it, no matter what application are you using at the moment ( in this case it's easy to blame pimp my wii......... )
    What can I say ? Like the poster above says, people brick wiis.........

By the way , we should probably contact the author and let him know that is best to make the IOS222/IOS223 updates optional or give a little warning before proceeding, like it does for trucha signed IOS and IOS 58.
    Problem solved !

16. Saoron

Newcomer Saoron Member

Australia
    lol, didnt expect one question to end up like this. I guess I won't use it then, but on that, besides Modmii, is there any wii homebrew that analyses the Internals and tells me what I should update and etc?

17. techboy

United States
    It's not so much that it's different than other apps (because as you said, it's not), PMW is just buggy.

And, while many bricks can be blamed on user error, PMW itself CAN brick wiis, especially if it freezes or dumps while installing the SM/SM IOS (this was how my 2 bricks occurred). I've also gotten a few non-bricking bad IOS installs from it in the several times I've tried it.

I'll leave it at this...I won't recommend something that:
    A. Is buggy to the point where it can potentially brick your wii.
    B. Has bricked 2 of my own wiis (both had bootmii, so they were easily unbricked, but nonetheless...)
    C. Suggests updates that aren't the best idea (IOS222/223)

18. JoostinOnline

United States
    Not really. ModMii was designed to work for people who have no idea what they are doing, lol. It is far safer.

19. Arm73

Italy
    This is from the readme from version 2.23, keep in mind 2.24 is already out, does this solve the problem, or do we still need to do something about 222/223 ?

20. bobnabob

Newcomer bobnabob Member

United States
    Heard 2.28 got released... any word if this version is more stable? If not, if I was to post my syscheck log here would someone be able to tell me what I should update?