Country
heres mine

13149631189cdd753564sp8.jpg

tms8707056

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That looks very tidy for your first modchip install, do you have prior soldering experience?

I have very little soldering experience. I just studied pictures of the install, various soldering methods, made sure that I had the correct tools, and took my time. It took me about 1 hour to finish everything. I didn't practice my soldering before jumping in either.

It took an hour because one of the points wasn't making a good connection. I did manage to keep it neat on the resolder though.

bluebright

Trophies
Website
www.portablespacemuseum.com
XP
Country
That looks very tidy for your first modchip install, do you have prior soldering experience?

I have very little soldering experience. I just studied pictures of the install, various soldering methods, made sure that I had the correct tools, and took my time. It took me about 1 hour to finish everything. I didn't practice my soldering before jumping in either.

It took an hour because one of the points wasn't making a good connection. I did manage to keep it neat on the resolder though.

So what your trying to say is that you had a soldering program uploaded to you through the matrix?

mcsdoode

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I just bought a wiikey and am waiting on it to arrive; these are mostly very neat looking and well done jobs! I have never soldered before, and the brawl delay has pushed me to mod my wii; I am asking for anyone here who use the wire method to please make a step-by-step tutorial of the soldering process, including pictures showing how to do "tinning" and such. Compared to every other place on the internet, this is the only place where people have decent picture taking skills and have every other post going "ZOMG WiiKEY IS IMPOSSIBLE...! Get someone to do...!". Thanks in advance...

kiwibonga

Trophies
Website
www.kiwibonga.com
XP
Country
France
Ahh... Cut legs... When you finish one of those, that's when you know you're truly a hero... I had a magnifier and I could still not see where I was soldering, I actually had to rely on the shadow of the wires over the dremelled chip!

Sailor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ahh... Cut legs... When you finish one of those, that's when you know you're truly a hero... I had a magnifier and I could still not see where I was soldering, I actually had to rely on the shadow of the wires over the dremelled chip!

Is it bad to do cut legs or something? My Wii supposedly has it's legs cut, but I don't know what that means..or if it's going to make my job harder.

enriqueiglesias

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France

Is it bad to do cut legs or something? My Wii supposedly has it's legs cut, but I don't know what that means..or if it's going to make my job harder.

That means that the chip labeled GC2-D2B may have three of its (reaaallllyyy) small legs (pins) missing. If this is the case, it will make your job far, far, far, far harder, as these legs have to be rebuilt or the chip soldered directly to them ... and since they are cut, you may have to sand-down the chip enough to access them.

Putting a modchip on an old type of wii is very easy and anyone can do it. Unless the pins are cut, in which case, unless you have good soldering experience, I don't recommend you attempt.

Read tutorials on the internet on how to do it. Google "wii d2b cut legs" and find a tutorial on how to do it.

Redsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
Couple of more recent pics from installs I have done

gbatemp member Raisin DMS Wiikey install

dsc02146mediumhg7.jpg

Another forum members Cut leg D2B install

dsc02125mediumze1.jpg

(That was before i sorted the wires out)

raisin

Trophies
XP
Country
Just want to say that, as you can see Redsquirrel did a great job on my Wiikey install. It's working perfectly and he only charged me £30 including the chip. Thanks dude.

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Mine pales in comparison to some of yours. Just opened my Wii up today to loosen up some drive screws (tried to fix the noise) and took some pics along the way. The wire I used was way stiff and way thick, making the install more difficult, as I could not wait for the ultra thin 30awg wire to ship to me after I got my Wiikey.
rofl2.gif

I'd say it's not that bad.
laugh.gif

4j2tch.jpg

Defiance

oh my god.. it's full of trading cards...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you install the GND and 3V3 points, do you have to use thick AVG wire like the Wasabi does? Because the only wire I have is from this old 300-in-1 project kit.

darkhawk

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
My camera has focusing issues
frown.gif

Was going to do a wire install but since i didnt have any good wire and my15w soldering iron couldnt melt the GND solder point i went for the quick solder(im impatient didnt want to go and get the wire)(found a 25W soldering iron) which turned out easy.
Couldnt belive how small the Wii Key was untill i recived it.
DSC00237.jpg

DSC00237-1.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: No way, Switch pro will be next