Hakoda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Can anyone show me how to make a glossy text that says "Merry Christmas" in red and green. I downloaded an ATN file from the Adobe site that mimicks exactly what I want to do but I have no clue how to use it. Perhaps if someone could use the ATN file, make a text that says "Merry Christmas" and upload it as a PSD to MediaFire, that'd absolutely spectacular. Link for the ATN: Christmas ATN from Adobe

I have Photoshop CS4 Extended and I'd really like to do this. If anyone could help me out that'd be amazing. Apparently is has an option to have snow on the top. If so, that'd be pretty cool too.

~ Jon

Thanks in Advance.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I sniffed around the CS4 folders and found an "Actions" folder full of .ATN files.
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4\Presets\Actions
Save that .ATN file in there, and it should appear in your Actions Window (alt+F9) when you load photoshop.

Edit: Firefox let me open it in Photoshop, that worked too, it just appears in the Actions window.

This is just incredibly basic filter raping anyway, you could probably achieve the effect you want by messing around with filters on text and playing around a little.
smile.gif

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
4tsuav.jpg

something like this? its a 5minute job, its not exactly the same as the one on the adobe site, didnt use the atn file though. i can show you how to do it if you want.

Hakoda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
RupeeClock said:
I sniffed around the CS4 folders and found an "Actions" folder full of .ATN files.
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4\Presets\Actions
Save that .ATN file in there, and it should appear in your Actions Window (alt+F9) when you load photoshop.

Edit: Firefox let me open it in Photoshop, that worked too, it just appears in the Actions window.

This is just incredibly basic filter raping anyway, you could probably achieve the effect you want by messing around with filters on text and playing around a little.
smile.gif

I'm more a noob than you think but if .Radiant's doesn't work, I'll tackle this ATN file head on.

QUOTE(.Radiant @ Dec 8 2009, 03:14 AM)
4tsuav.jpg

something like this? its a 5minute job, its not exactly the same as the one on the adobe site, didnt use the atn file though. i can show you how to do it if you want.

That's exactly what I'm looking for, could you show me how to do that? Or even upload a PSD (transparent background if so please) with "Merry Christmas" already set. Either way is fine, thanks a bunch .Radiant.

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'd rather show someone how to do something like this. Better for later on.

so, i started with a transparent canvas 400x200.
Grabbed the type tool, i used the font "Hobo STD" at size 80 and typed Christmas, you can extend the canvas if you want by however much by going Image -> Canvas size, if you want to add "Merry", i'd say change it from 400x200 to something like 700x200, maybe even 800x200. Colour for the text doesnt matter.

Now create a new layer, fill it with a pretty dark red. now change colour to the brightest red you can find.

Select the brush tool and look for the brushes panel, it should be next to your navigator, like a couple paintbrushes in a jar. If you cant find it Click Window -> Brushes. Click on the Brush preset panel and select the 19 hard round.

hit the checkbox next to Shape dynamic, under Brush Tip Shape and move size jitter all the way up to 100%. Now hit the check box under scattering, hit both axes and bring it up to about 600-700%

You can close the Brushes panel now if you want, i usually dock it somewhere near the navigator.

Create a new layer, select the pen tool, At the very top, you should see a box with square corners, a pen in a box with square corners and a simple box. select the middle one (i.e a pen in a box with square corners) its called Paths.

On this layer, using the pen tool, Click on one far side of the canvas, and another on the other far side. you should end up with a path. Now click anywhere along the line ( the pen cursor should come up with a + sign at the bottom right of it) Hold ctrl, click on the point and move that point up or down. repeat about 3-4 times until you got a nice squiggly line. Right-click anywhere on the canvas and go down to stroke path. a little dialog box should come up, its preset should be pencil, click on it, and a drop box should come down. Select Brush and hit okay. now you should have a bunch of circles that followed your squiggly line. Drop its opacity to about 40%.

Create a new layer, use the pentool again, make another squiggly line (different from the first), right click -> stroke -> brush again. drop opacity again to about 60%. repeat that step again, except this time drop opacity to 80%.

Hopefully at this stage you've filled a fair bit of the canvas with circles, or at least a fair bit of where the letters are. Now on the latest layer (the 80% one) go to Filter -> Blur -> Gaussian blur. set it anywhere between 1.5 - 2. hit ok, you've made a set of circles all blurry. now select another layer with circles and hit (Ctrl+F, repeats the filter on this layer). now do it again on the last layer. it should look something along the lines of this
sv6t07.jpg

Now select all the circle layers along with the dark red background layer and hit ctrl+alt+g (alternatively hit Layer -> Create Clipping Mask). make sure the text layer is underneath all the red layers.

Now your red text should be done. now to move on to the green outline.

Ctrl+left click on the text layer, it should select its outline kinda. Create a new layer, select the Rectangular Marquee tool, right click anywhere on the canvas and hit stroke. select outside, and change width to 3 or 4 pixels. hit ok, colour doesnt matter.

now create a new layer, select Black and green as your new colours, fill the canvas with the paint bucket. Hit filter -> render -> fibers. Move the Variance all the way up, strength can be whatever. Now hit Filters -> Noise -> Add Noise. i had mine set to about 37.4%. hit okay. and turn it into a clipping mask again (ctrl+alt+g or layers -> create Clipping mask).

nearly done. Now select the text layer, right click on the layer in the layer box and select Blending options, hit Bevel and emboss, change options to suit you.

Select the outline layer, Hit bevel and emboss again. adjust to suit you.

Now to add the snow. Create a new layer, select brush tool, set your brush to 5 Hard Round. set colour to white. and cover the tops of the letters with how you think snow should top them. Now duplicate this layer, Drop the old ones opacity to about... 60%. On the new one, select the eraser tool, 5 hard round. and erase a little of the snow here and there.

You should be done. if you dont like the look of hte snow you can just delete the latest layer.

Hakoda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
.Radiant you're AMAZING. I had a little trouble with outline. I kept clicking "Create Clipping Mask" while selecting both the Fiber/Noise Layer & the Outline Layer. This resulted in the text turning into a green & black mess. Realized that you meant only the Fiber/Noise layer, that fixed it.

Here's my version of this:

24nkw8o.jpg

I have to admit, my red text is a bit too dark... XD.

Only disadvantage is that if you wanted to make the text bigger, you have to delete all layers above Layer 4 and redo the outline and snow following .Radiant's instructions, which doesn't take long anyway.

PSD (with transparent background): If anyone else wants it: Link

~ Jon

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night