Personal Opinions on the hacking practice.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm gonna try to make this as coherent as possible.

Hello, I'm Argentum Vir. Some of you may know me as Sterl500. Some of you may not like me. Whether it be because of my stance on certain subjects, or because I've called a few of you out (sometimes immaturely and poorly handled). For all this I have no apology. I am responsible for my actions and can never totally remove blemishes from the hearts and minds of others. This is for another topic though. I have my own opinions on the Ripe and Fresh subject that's being discussed right now globally, and vehemently debated at that. I ask that the readers of this topic not only keep an open mind, but use all of their proper and civil debating skills. I will be keeping an open mind as well, and respect each and everyone's opinions whether or not I receive the same treatment. I'm not so blinded by certain qualities that could potentially label me as Fanboy. I do not appreciate name calling, or exceptional sailor mouth. If I see any post label me or others in a stereotypical way, I will ask you to edit your post, or I will leave it up to a mod to use their best judgment in the deletion or re-wording of posts. I do not claim any immunity to any punishment. I am a user of GBAtemp and here by confirm that I have read the rules and accept any punishment for the breaking of said rules.[/p]

I have been a gamer since my wee days of childhood. I learned to read, write, and pronounce to a certain extent before I became a student. Not only have video games been a blessing, but they have enabled me to make friends where I least expect them. I bought my DS on launch day here in the US. I bought all my games legitimately until I discovered flashcards. Then after two years of rampant piracy, I discovered DS homebrew. Useful, little programs made by people other than commercial developers. It did not strike me as being too important, because I had all the game I wanted for free. The first game I bought in years was Soul Silver, then Golden Sun (which is still wrapped). My brother went the other way. After his experience with the DS, he went and bought a PSP. This was the first experience I had with a fanboy. This was honestly the first reason I began to grow apart from my brother. He always teased me by asking if I wanted to play his PSP, then he would flaunt it. After being antagonized so much, I finally said screw it and vowed to watch Youtube gameplay videos to see what all his hype was about. The games never impressed me much. There were very few games that I could like and keep my enthralled throughout the videos. Then I joined GBAtemp.

After joining I decided to lurk a bit, look before I jump. It payed off, because I no longer was a someone who was just interested in games. I learned how the worked, I wanted to become a developer, to make the games that I and others cherish, and hold near and dear. I was now someone who was held in high regards in the Nerd circles at my school. I could "hack" my DS, Wii, and whatever else they thought I could do. I relished this attention, but after a bit I decided that sharing this knowledge around was the best course of action. I started modding other people's Wii's and directing others to flashcard sites. After a bit I started charging to mod and update other people's consoles. Of course I gave them little flyers that told them where to get software, and that everthing I was doing was available free of charge. 7 times out of 10 they paid me, and kept coming back. I even sparked a few people to look into existing hacks and mods to start their own business. One such person became one of the best friends I have ever had. He always came for Wii advice, and he became the PSP Guru of the school. Soon after, I decided to buy a PSP. Which I did so proudly. I got the PSP Guru to mod it for me. I then learned to do most stuff by myself. GBAtemp was not only a source of knowledge, but a place to vent, to relax, and somewhere to try and share my knowledge.

Fast forward a year or two, and a few friends made, and lost, and a few enemies made, and some befriended, I start to change my mind set. I no longer wish for hacks that enable me to pirate. I decided that not only is piracy wrong, but stifled free trade. Hell, even then it's still only a side effect. The real meat of a hack is letting the User have full access.

Now onto the Subject of Sony and the PS3. There are a few things that I dislike about Sony as a company. Sleezy underhanded tactics, Intimidation, and the willingness to throw large sums of money away against one hacker. Money that could have been given over to the poor, or gone to fund curing diseases. If there was any chance of salvaging the security of the PS3, and preserving it's security then maybe it would deserve justification. Not against geohot though. See my model home example. Sony wants to do the impossible and get every single key and such off of the internet. However with the way things are going at the moment, in the near future this may be possible (Censorship). So far all the bullshit that has flown out of their mouths has made me less inclined to buy their next console, and even less inclined to buy the NGP. I know every other corporation has pulled the same shit in the past, present, and future. I absolutely abhor Sony because it's the most vocal in actions and words than Microsoft or Nintendo. PS3 may have been safe for four years. It may have not only made up for lost profits with games, but it lived to see the System actually provide profit. Unless Sony have learned from their mistakes, then I predict the NGP will be a used buy for me when Homebrew is enabled. Also don't even get me started on CoD, and Moneyvision. They are worse than Sony, and I will never buy one of their products new again, and I will tell others to look into other ways of "acquiring" present and future Activision and related developer's games.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Terminator02 said:
that was a pretty cool background story you had and i do see why you would think that of certain companies but ur just gonna have to get used to it and enjoy what they make, you can't hold personal grudges against them because they want to protect the security of their consoles, geohot not only freed the console from it's restrictions but he opened up the gateway for hackers and such to get online and ruin the experience for others.
Yes, I know. geohot is just a scapegoat however. Opening gateways you then put a lock on yourself is not the same as opening the gateway and just letting the flow go. His CFW itself didn't allow piracy. It's not his fault there were others that had his know how to take it to the point of lawsuit. I cannot hold personal grudges against a giant building anyway. I can however not buy their products and let them profit off of me, and ask others to join in.

rastsan

8 baller, Death Wizard,
Trophies
Website
rastsan.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Canada
Am I to unbderstand that you no longer have a need for gbatemp? Or are you saying that you will no longer help anyone with pirating? (which good for you, I think). Not that I am confused with your post I just am wondering if you no longer need gnatemp why you didn't just have your account closed.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
rastsan said:
Am I to unbderstand that you no longer have a need for gbatemp? Or are you saying that you will no longer help anyone with pirating? (which good for you, I think). Not that I am confused with your post I just am wondering if you no longer need gnatemp why you didn't just have your account closed.
I do like GBAtemp, so as long as they'll have me, I'll be staying.
biggrin.gif
I'll also continue to help with the scene as well. You see, installation is one thing, helping to find ROMs and ISOs is another. When I help others, I won't be mentioning anything about pirating, but they'll will most likely find that out themselves.

DeadLocked

Bi-Winning.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Where I stand on hacking. (An example)
On the one hand I hope that NGP has amazing anti hacking methods put in place, and has a good 5 years before it is hacked.
(No piracy = Confident developer = Amazing games for years to come)
On the other, the moment the console is hacked I will be enjoying some free games, hopefully not for a good few though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, 4th what?