Permanent Fix for Loose Fitting Joycons :)

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories & Hardware' started by ploggy, Feb 1, 2018.

1. ploggy
    OP

ploggy WAKA! WAKA!

Aug 29, 2007
    United Kingdom
    I was looking through Youtube (as you do) and came across this Vid about loose fitting Joycons.
    Apparently there is a problem overtime that effects the Plastic Clip that holds the Joycon to the Switch and starts to wear to the point the Joycon doesn't hold in place securely. I havent had this issue myself (still in the box) but can see how it could be a problem for kids or people that repeatedly play dropsy with their Switch :P
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The video shows it's possible to replace the Plastic Clips with Metal ones :)

Metal Clips basically removes the problem. Metal = Much less wear ;)
    Plastic Clips are also available if people are worried about Metal Clips damaging the Joycon Rails ;)

I should point out I'm not selling these things, just sharing :)

EDIT: If your having trouble finding these on Ebay try searching for "ALLOY BUCKLE NINTENDO" thanks @x3n0
    And for Plastic Clips try Searching for "PLASTIC SWITCH JOYCON BUCKLE"

Last edited by ploggy, Feb 18, 2018
  2. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 29, 2010
    United States
    um metal wears out also....

3. ploggy
    OP

ploggy WAKA! WAKA!

Aug 29, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Compared to plastic though....

dpad_5678 and cearp like this.
  4. yardie

yardie Banned

Banned
    Mar 27, 2016
    United States
    Maybe we should get the metal they use on the space shuttles....

5. x3n0

x3n0 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 22, 2017
    Netherlands
    First of all a brilliant find OP :)
    I want those metal thingies to.

Second, It took me a while to find your item on ebay (I was looking for "joy con latch" and "joy con clip")
    I had to look for "Alloy Buckle Nintendo" (I found it afterwards in your vid :()

so, if someone is stil looking try those keywords.

ploggy and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  6. Taffy

Taffy AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Mar 3, 2017
    United States
    Student
    let's tape them on. bam, no more loose joycons.

ever.

Recently I fell on mine and the left one is loose, maybe I should look into this.

7. isoboy

isoboy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 23, 2016
    United States
    You can place strips of gorilla tape or any other strong tape on the inside of the console rails and it works like a charm. You don't even see it.

8. ploggy
    OP

ploggy WAKA! WAKA!

Aug 29, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Thank You I'll add it to the OP. ;)

9. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I would not recommend doing this.
    You may have noticed that the rails on the Switch itself are metal while the rails on the JoyCons are plastic.
    There's a reason for that.
    They are made of plastic to ensure that the parts that wear out are the cheaper and easier to fix JoyCons rather than the main unit.
    By replacing part of it with metal parts, the rails on the Switch are going to start wearing out as well, and that will be a harder fix not to mention void your warranty.

10. LightyKD

LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    Gee... I was just using tape lol.

11. x3n0

x3n0 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 22, 2017
    Netherlands
    Ill keep the plastic buckles so i can put them back if the rails start to show signs of wear. I dont mind the warranty because I'm putting in Snes style buttons to, pretty much voids the warranty :D

The Real Jdbye likes this.
  12. Deathscreton

Deathscreton GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 1, 2009
    United States
    I'll never understand why they didn't just dish out for the metal pieces. They HAD to have known that these plastic little clips would be a major fail point for the controllers, especially with how often they're being clipped and unclipped. Unless this was done on purpose to facilitate the movement of new product.

13. Zerius

Zerius Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 17, 2017
    United Kingdom
    New Donk City
    I'm so gonna do this
    (next problem will be people dropping the switch and instead of breaking the catch its gonna snap the whole joycon, im not being serious but i can imagine it)

14. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Because of the reason I mentioned in my post. They're metal on the Switch and plastic on the JoyCons so that if any part wears out or breaks it's the JoyCons. For example, if the Switch is dropped, it's pretty much guaranteed that the JoyCons will be the part that fails, and those are cheap enough to replace. If both were made of metal it would be hit and miss.

DeadlyFoez likes this.
  15. Deathscreton

Deathscreton GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 1, 2009
    United States
    Yeah, I ended up realizing this after watching some more replacement videos. It's unfortunate they chose that as the point of failure especially with as much contact that the little clip makes. At least it's an easy fix.

16. x3n0

x3n0 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 22, 2017
    Netherlands
    Do you really think those cast alloy buckles Wil wear out the stainless steel rail? I'm convinced the alloy will still wear out way more than the 10 mm of steel rail it slides by.

The problem is my left joycon. I think the plastic buckle gets broken because I turn the volume up and down while keeping my pinky finger under de left joycon. The stress on the buckle removes little pieces of plastic from it, 4 months of use and the plastic buckle is completely broken. Im hoping the cast alloy one is a more resilient against the stress while turning the volume up and down.

17. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    another nintendo's flaw have to be fixed by consumers.

Zerius likes this.
  18. x3n0

x3n0 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 22, 2017
    Netherlands
    That was really usefull, i totaly reconsidered my intention towards those alloy buckles.... thanks

19. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    After playing Zelda for so long (120 hours) My left joy-con kept sliding off, and it was annoying. So I traded them in to GameStop for $40 bucks, and pot another $40 cash towards a new red and blue set. Haven't used them since I have a pro controller now though. But good to know these "buckles" exist, for when I mod my controllers later with clear shells.

20. Justeego

Justeego Member

Newcomer
    Feb 24, 2017
    Italy
    If I need a replacement I would go for the plastic ones, if the switch drops the metal rail could be badly damaged and screws' holes could be destroyed

Tumoche and ploggy like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice