Hacking Pengin Backup Channel (Latest Package)

asthepenguinflie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EDIT: The link has been updated to point to the "recompiled" channel with autoboot. Bleach is still not working. Point me to an autoboot with press one and a working 002 fix for bleach, and I'll fix it sometime. In the meantime, here it is. To prevent further confusion: I did in no way make a new loader. This is just a set of images you can use with the loader of your choice (a "compiled" version is included for the lazy kids, using gamma).

Ok, so I've abandoned the old thread, and started this new one for the sanity of all those looking to read about the channel. Also, the other one had a deceptive topic title (it's an actual channel now, rather than images). Anyway, here it is, the Penguin Backup Channel v1.1. Included in the package is both a 16x9 and 4x3 version.

Preview (16x9)
backupchannel16x9-1.png

backupchannelicon16x9.png

backupchannellogo16x9.png

The "Read Me" is below in the spoiler tags. I suggest you read it if you have questions.

Penguin's Backup Channel (With Images, and Sounds) v1.1
New in this Version:
-Minor edits to the graphics in order to bring the "top bar" into line with the normal disc channel proportions on the 16x9 version.
-Both the Wii disc, and the DVD-R disc remain slightly smaller than the disc channel's Wii disc. This is was done on purpose, if they were much bigger they'd be too big. This issue will be fixed when the channel is eventually animated (Wii disc will spin and resolve into a DVD-R).
-Tried to replace the old 002 fix autoboot .wad with one confirmed to work with Bleach, however I can't find an autoboot .wad with an 002 fix that works with bleach. Let me know if you find one.

The Legal
The images, sounds and channels contained in this package are in no way intended to be used to launch pirated Wii games. It is called the Backup Channel for a reason.

Those who contributed to this are in no way liable for any damages done to your Wii through the use of these files, and you use them at your own risk. Much has been done to ensure everything in this package is safe if used properly, but if you're unsure how to use the files included here, do some research before attempting to use them (GBAtemp is a good place to start).

You are free to use the files included here however you like, so long as it is not for commercial gain, you attribute the original authors of the files and you include this readme with any distribution of the files contained here. The images included in this package were created by asthepenguinflies, and the sounds were submitted by lourens. Information about the other files and their authors can be found on GBAtemp.

The Basics
This channel, including its images and sounds, was created in order to better imitate the normal Wii disc channel. This is the first of what I would consider a few "full" releases. Up until now I've been posting the images and a few compiled versions of this channel in a thread on GBAtemp, but as I believe major graphical changes are now finished and we have some amazing sounds to use, consider this the first official release of the channel.

This package is meant to allow people to play around with the channel's graphics and sounds a bit for customization purposes, and allow people to add additional languages etc. You can compile the channel by hand, or by using WADder by Icefire. I have included the channel compiled in both 4x3 and 16x9 in English (002 fix, Autoboot, No force and Press 1) for those who just want to install it as is.

I will continue to update this package with the goal of eventually having it animated etc, once those tools become available. Comments/suggestions can be directed to me over PM on GBAtemp (asthepenguinflies) or in the channel's thread in the wii hacking forum on GBAtemp.

The Images
If you choose to edit the images, they are included here in two basic sets: 4x3 and 16x9, with a couple language subsets for each as of this version. The .psd files have been organized to the best of my ability, and should be self-explanatory. If you don't know what to do with these, ask.

If you can't find your language, feel free to edit the .psd files, output the images as .png files and submit them for inclusion in this package. If you choose to do this, please edit both the 4x3 and 16x9 versions so that everything remains complete.

You'll also note that the 16x9 .psd files are not the correct widths. This is so that you can edit the .psd as it would look on your wii, rather than having to edit a scrunched up image. When you're done editing the files, save the .psd files (at their non-standard size) and then output .png versions of them. Remember to change the widths of the images back to default (590 for the banner, 128 for the icon, and 112 for the logo) before you output them as .png files and make sure you don't change the height of the images on accident while doing this.

If you submit your edited images to be included in this package, make sure to include the full quality versions, rather than the compressed versions that WADder outputs.

The Sounds
The sounds included here were captured and edited by lourens. I have re-edited lourens' original .wav files to remove a bit off the end of them because I could hear a distinct "mouse-over" click there, and I'm anal like that. The original sounds as lourens posted them are in their own directory in the "Sounds" folder if you want to use them. As for the sounds I edited, the "Disc Channel (Without No-Disc wah).wav" file is, as of now, the one I use when compiling the channel.

Just as with the images, if you have a sound you want added to this package, let me know.

The .wads
As mentioned in the legal section information about these files can be found on GBAtemp. However, the channels included as of this time have been compiled using Wii Gator's Backup Launcher (002 fix, Autoboot, No Force and Press 1). Feel free to use other .wads to compile the channel if that's your thing.

Thank You
Thank you to all those who have made suggestions or helped with the development of the graphics and sounds contained herein. Hopefully we can work together to perfect it even further.

As always, comments and suggestions are more than welcome.

asthepenguinflie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Dark_anth: This is is just a set of images, and a few sounds. Please read the "Read Me" if you have questions. The channel, and what it is, is described fully in the readme.

@dlxwohd: Will do, one second... *Now Up*

@Karlucci: I was under the assumption the 002 fixed .wad I used WAS autoboot. Maybe not.

EDIT: Looks like the wad was the wrong one after all. Reverting to the old one. Oh well.

*Working*...

Ok, it's done, and the link above has been replaced with the new one, here it is again for those too lazy to scroll up: Penguin Backup Channel v1.1. Bleach isn't working right now, but if you know of an autoboot, press one, no force with the 002 fix that I can use, we'll get that done.

aakerlind

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
asthepenguinflies said:
@Dark_anth: This is is just a set of images, and a few sounds. Please read the "Read Me" if you have questions. The channel, and what it is, is described fully in the readme.

@dlxwohd: Will do, one second... *Now Up*

@Karlucci: I was under the assumption the 002 fixed .wad I used WAS autoboot. Maybe not.

EDIT: Looks like the wad was the wrong one after all. Reverting to the old one. Oh well.

*Working*...

Ok, it's done, and the link above has been replaced with the new one, here it is again for those too lazy to scroll up: Penguin Backup Channel v1.1. Bleach isn't working right now, but if you know of an autoboot, press one, no force with the 002 fix that I can use, we'll get that done.

hmm the download link doesnt work
frown.gif

edit: works now
smile.gif

neonix

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't wait until the day when someone replaces the Disc Channel with a custom channel that determines between GC, Wii, and Burnt discs.

This is the best until then!
smile.gif

asthepenguinflie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Zeek03: Yes I did. Unfortunately doing it by hand is a bit time-prohibitive and WADder has never bricked a wii to my knowledge.

@Sportsmaniac1322: I agree. I look forward to tools being released that let me do that.

@neonix: Thanks! I want that to happen too, but figured this would do for now.

@bewitched: No problem. Gotta do something over the holidays when I don't have class.

If anyone has any suggestions, just let me know. I think it's pretty much done other than the possible addition of more languages and more/different .wads. I'll probably add in the vector versions of the discs at some point so people can use those in other things if they want.

Jytach

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
gamer1035 said:
im sort of a noob in this stuff... do I just put everything into the apps section of my sd card?

Put the channel version you want on the wads folder and install with wad manager.

asthepenguinflie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
aakerlind said:
Is there no way to improve the image quality? :/

Can you make one without sound aswell?
smile.gif

I think one can be put together without sound, that's easy enough.

As for the image quality question, I asked that same question a while back. The short answer is: no, not with the tools available at this time. Also note, if you're using the 16x9 version, the wii stretches a 4x3 image out to the full screen size, and that causes a little distortion in and of itself. Other than that, in order to avoid complications, the images get compressed a lot (perhaps more than is actually necessary). This is why my preview images look better than the channel does to some degree, because they have not been compressed by WADder (the utility that makes the channel) yet.

If someone felt like putting it together by hand, and was willing to test it all out, perhaps we could get a version with better graphics, however not too many people are willing to take that risk. If we're patient I think better utilities will come out/WADder will see upgrades, and the channel will look progressively better.

Glad everyone seems to be enjoying it! It's nice to see work giving rewards every now and then :-P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, I always see this dude's shorts, he sounds pretty annoying.