PC upgrade

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by AlanJohn, Dec 16, 2011.

Dec 16, 2011

PC upgrade by AlanJohn at 7:04 PM (310 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. AlanJohn
    OP

Member AlanJohn くたばれ

Ukraine
    I'm deciding to get a full PC upgrade so I can play the 2012 games like a boss.
    My specs:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

I need your help GBAtemp, to fully-upgrade it, so I can play BF3 on ultra.
    Also, whats a good widescreen monitor I can buy?

BUDGET: 500$

2. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    First question: do you have a budget? I'll list two builds, one for the gods (with at least some sense of value in mind) and the other for us more humble of men.

Extreme Ultra PC: (£2480)

Performance PC: (£1248)

For a monitor, they recommend Viewsonic VP2365wb (£205) if you want 23", and Dell U2711 (£594) if you want 27". For triple monitor display, the stand the recommend is XFX Triple Display Monitor Stand (£318).

Second question: Is it just BF3 you want to play on ultra or do you want to future-proof your PC (for the next 3 years at least, although more likely 5-7 years)?

Any questions and I'll get back to you... at some point in the future ;p

EDIT: Ok, this post can be mostly disregarded, because the budget does not extend to the best parts (or even a complete overhaul for that matter). Someone in America can find you the best deals on Newegg for a motherboard, CPU and RAM upgrade kit, but forget about playing BF3 on ultra.

3. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
  4. AlanJohn
    OP

Member AlanJohn くたばれ

Ukraine
    Do I have to buy a new motherboard or case?
    I mean, I just need it for the sake of playing games on ultra.

5. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Psuedo-realistic games like MW3 and BF3 put a lot of strain on the CPU and graphics for their physics, particle dust and post-processing effects (e.g. the blurring after a flash grenade goes off in your face). For that, you ideally want a CPU that can handle much more IPS (instructions per second, or instructions per clock) which AMD is famously bad at. This basically means a Core i5-2500K and a LGA1155 motherboard to go with it, one that uses DDR3 RAM because of the performance increase over DDR2 (this is debatable, but the difference does show in pseudo-realistic games).

You also want a modern graphics card, which means minimum HD 6870 or GTX 560.

After all this, you also need to check your PSU to make sure you can handle the upgraded graphics. You shouldn't have a problem here though.