Gaming PC Temps

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've had this PC for 3 years now and the last 2 days it has been shutting off by itself. I grabbed SpeedFan and it shows the following:

GPU: 49C
System: 54C
CPU: 54C
AUX: 53C
Local Temp: 36C
Remote Temp: 34C
HD0: 40C
Temp1: 40C
Core: 31C

System, CPU, and AUX have a flame next to them. SpeedFan sets the default OK range at 40-49C, anything above that gets a flame.

What can I do to lower these temps?

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cpu is running a bit hot for idle

did you clean out dust from fan vents/and the fans + heatsinks?

jumpman17

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I just cleaned the inside tonight. Wasn't too bad in there.

How do I put more fans in my system? Where would they go? Or do I just buy heavy duty fans to replace the ones I have now?

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
if you really want to be stingy you can open up or case and have a fan blowing into it
tongue.gif

otherwise grab yourself a cpu cooler as it seems to be the main problem. if you dont want to fork out for that grab some thermal paste. good thermal paste can drop temps as far as 10C.

shadowkillerdrag

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
get a better cpu cooler and thermal paste like radiant said =P.

Fan is good since i generally like to leave my case open and the fan blows away the heat resonating from the system lol

jumpman17

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My dad has some thermal paste, I'll try that tomorrow.

I can't leave my case open because I have a cat and we tried that with our family computer once and it just got coated in cat hair.

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
lol I hacked 2x 4inch holes in the side of my case added mesh and chucked in 2x 4inch computer fans to vent more heat out and added to this drilled 12 holes in a nice pattern on the top of my case to increase airflow
smile.gif

and get a better processor cooler one with a heatpipe as well as a sink and fan
smile.gif

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Those temps look adequate for idle temps. What is important is the change in temperature when going from idle to load. Do the shutdowns happen when you're playing a game? Or just when you're browsing the internet. It's quite possible that there's another factor to why your computer is shutting down other than temperature. It's likely that the power supply is dying, etc.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Reseat your heatsink. Meaning take it off, reapply thermal paste and make sure it is put back on properly.

More fans is not a good option. You want to create a nice airflow that takes in cold air from the front and sucks it out from the back. That way you have cold air flowing over your components as it exits from the back. Sticking in fans randomly will just blow air about and end up trapping hot air inside.

Keeping the case open is a bad idea also. It destroys the airflow as mentioned above, it might cool your cpu, but can cause the other components to heat up that don't have fans. Nevermind the fact more dust gets inside.

jumpman17

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Jiggah said:
Those temps look adequate for idle temps. What is important is the change in temperature when going from idle to load. Do the shutdowns happen when you're playing a game? Or just when you're browsing the internet. It's quite possible that there's another factor to why your computer is shutting down other than temperature. It's likely that the power supply is dying, etc.

I've never seen it quit. It's either been overnight or while I was at work.

My dad noticed SpeedFan was saying I was running at 8 Volts and he checked my power supply but it's running at 12. And the CPU and such don't feel hot when you touch it.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thermal Compound is the exact same thing as Thermal Paste xDD. God damnit... That should've been my credit (jking),

Omfg, don't touch the inside of your computer when it is running, you don't want to be electrocuted or shock your computer if you aren't properly grounded. Anyway, in a PC there is usually a spot where fans go. Using a Dell Optiplex GX280 and is not customizable. Looked around and there were no spots for fans to be installed. And you can't even open it while it runs. The good thing about it is that it has a big heat sink and a fan over it. So my CPU doesn't over heat. And isn't noisy either.

But yea, never buy pre-made PCs. It is best to get custom ones so you can make it the way you want. You can customize it the way you want xDD. What sucks about my mother board is that it dosen't measure CPU temperature >_

Saywhatjj4

Trophies
XP
Country
wow Thats quite hot even on idle, Yeah i will just go on with kobykaans idea and go and buy a new heatsink/cooler
BTW is it in a cramped environment with very little space or is it in a big place with a lot of ventliation?

Saywhatjj4

Trophies
XP
Country
Splych said:
Thermal Compound is the exact same thing as Thermal Paste xDD. God damnit... That should've been my credit (jking),

Omfg, don't touch the inside of your computer when it is running, you don't want to be electrocuted or shock your computer if you aren't properly grounded. Anyway, in a PC there is usually a spot where fans go. Using a Dell Optiplex GX280 and is not customizable. Looked around and there were no spots for fans to be installed. And you can't even open it while it runs. The good thing about it is that it has a big heat sink and a fan over it. So my CPU doesn't over heat. And isn't noisy either.

But yea, never buy pre-made PCs. It is best to get custom ones so you can make it the way you want. You can customize it the way you want xDD. What sucks about my mother board is that it dosen't measure CPU temperature >_

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
its a laptop....but you should get it checked out though.

On topic: installing extra fans can do the trick, but i don't see a problem with the temps. you have.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Saywhat, Jumpman is from America, so I don't think he'll want to buy from a UK Site. I am sure he will most likely buy from NewEgg. I am guessing that is...

Da_Head... It's a freakin' Laptop xDD. It is like natural for it to heat it up without proper cooling.

jumpman17

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, I don't know what normal temps are supposed to be. Just that this program says anything above 50C deserves a flame next to it. My computer hasn't shut off since I've cleaned the inside out, so maybe it had something to do with that. Hopefully it keeps on doing okay.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
On yea, my dad got that happening to his PC, which I forgot to mention. His CPU was over heating a lot, going above average CPU temperature and was using SpeedFan I think...

All he did do was first, got a vacuum, reversed it so it blew air for the dust to be reduced. Next he got a new CPU Cooler. He had a small, cooling fan, with a heat sink that was as thick as a DS Lite, so then he replaced it with an OCZ Gladiator. It was huge... Well the Heat Sink was huge O_O. Lastly, he used the thermal paste and applied it onto the CPU.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: DAYTONAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!