Gaming PC crashes while browsing and gaming

bowlofspiders

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Every time my friend runs ANY game. His computer crashes. He said, "Just a DRRRR sound and the computer has crashed.
No warnings, just complete crash." So what could be wrong? He has the following equpiment:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q8300
NVIDIA GeForce 7100 Integrated
640 GB HDD
4 GB DDR2 memory (RAM)

I hope one of you guys have the correct answer to this. He's installed the latest drivers and tried DirectX9 instead of 10 and 11. Still nothing.

bowlofspiders

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The monitor will have nothing but a still image of whatever was on it and nothing will respond, the mouse will not work, the keys will not work, the computer will not acknowledge any type of action. It has completely frozen and a "DDDDDDDDDDRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR" sound constantly occurs whilst the screen is frozen on the image it crashed on.

Bulit

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's either bad RAM or an overheating CPU.
smile.gif

Try buying a new CPU fan/heatsink or reapplying thermal paste on the heatsink.

bowlofspiders

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"It will start up letting me know that the system was shut down incorrectly and to avoid any loss of data blah blah, I can safe boot up with network settings, safe mode or normal windows boot up. But that is it! The computer ignores anything has ever happened past that."

bowlofspiders

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Advi said:
what kind of sound is the PC making?

perhaps the hard drive is dying?
The noise the computer makes when it crashes is not a beep or a ding. It's a harsh electronic sound, like when a TV makes a high pitched noise, only the computer makes a sharp, loud constant noise. When it boots back up it beeps.

Bulit

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
sdnoob said:
Bulit said:
It's either bad RAM or an overheating CPU.
smile.gif

Try buying a new CPU fan/heatsink or reapplying thermal paste on the heatsink.

Sounds like this.
I think my problem was pretty similar and new thermal paste fixed it up.
Check the CPU temperature?
Google speedfan to check your CPU temperature and post your results.

dysan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
this is gonna sound stupid but the number and length of the beeps the pc does in the beginning will tell you what's wrong with it lol

http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml

1st guess - PSU?
2nd guess - CPU?
3rd guess - motherboard?

clean the pc and I mean clean the sucker out!
if he's had the system for long and it only happens now, then maybe something overheats because there's too much dust in the pc.

get ready for a blowjob
smile.gif

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Since the OP said "beep", I assume it's the normal single beep that says POST is clear. EDIT: Although running SpeedFan is a good idea (both for temperatures, processor frequencies, and for reading S.M.A.R.T). For some reason though, I've never managed to get it to work in Windows 7, even though it should.

In my experience, typical behaviour of a CPU overheat is first CPU throttling (things go slow but shouldn't stall) followed by an instant shutdown if it hits a certain temperature (set in BIOS). If the CPU is the cause of the crash, it's a sign of a badly processed instruction (Dark Star One described it as a math equation that didn't add up when checked, leading to system instability - i.e. crashing), which basically means the CPU is on its last legs (easy check - run a stress test for 5 minues).

RAM fault is the most likely cause of this particular type of crash, from my experience. Second most likely cause is the main HDD falling asleep or failing (so checking S.M.A.R.T is a good idea for checking the health of the HDD). Thirdly, it could be caused by bad system files (even a virus, but that's unlikely) being mishandled and/or causing a memory leak (the greater the memory leak, the more likely something's going to be mishandled... although usually the symptom is a great slowdown, but not a crash).

The two things that I can think of causing the DRRRRR sound, is either obstruction of a system fan (i.e. check the heatsink on the CPU to make sure all wires are clear - which could very well cause all the described symptoms) or feedback from the sound card/chip when crashing (symptom of a system overload).

The PSU is unlikely to be the cause of this crash unless it is being overdrawn (so knowing how many Watts the PSU supplies could help). CPU, I explained above. Motherboard, it's possible, but unlikely since it only crashes when browsing and gaming (both of which depend a lot on RAM and the primary HDD). Dust is also a possibility, making cooling far less effective and potentially creating static fields, but that's the easiest thing to check - a good old can of compressed air to clear out all the dust bunnies. EDIT2: Another possibility is the integrated graphics failing, but that usually results in BSoDs and failing graphics and it doesn't seem to be the case here since it seems to keep working even after the crash.

Magoo222

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It isn't a sound like the last note that was playing before the crash is being drawn out is it? I had a similar issue with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, which seemed to be solved using this hotfix:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979444

I couldn't tell you how I found it, lots of googling for answers I'm afraid, so it might not be the same issue. I could occasionally hear a song I was listening to being drawn out for a few seconds before the PC hung completely. I'd also have the mouse pointer slow down to a crawl for a few seconds before total lock up.

D

Deleted-188346

I doubt the CPU is overheating. When a CPU overheats, the computer will generally just simply turn itself off, depending on your BIOS. But, you'll still be able to run games (for maybe 10-15 minutes), before you'll see your frame rate drop, and eventually a shutdown.

But in any case, install Speedfan or something to have a look at the temps.

This sounds more like a HDD/OS or possible RAM issue to me.

Try uninstalling drivers, then using Driver Sweeper, then reinstalling the latest drivers.
If that doesn't work, then try using different RAM.
If that doesn't work, then you should consider reformatting.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.