The Riolu

Emanation Pokémon
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone:

It's been a while since I've posted but I've been busy with shit. Anyway...

I need suggestions on the PC build that I have here. I'm trying not to break $1800. Please feel free to give feedback on the parts I picked and any recommendations for the PC I'm going to build this winter:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($224.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($112.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($148.51 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($396.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DG 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card ($16.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($54.99 @ Microcenter)
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($47.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Asus VX238H 23.0" Monitor ($159.99 @ Microcenter)
Total: $1523.40
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-06 17:42 EDT-0400)

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
First of all, Intel 320 series you picked is overpriced. It is a reliable SSD (I have used it before), but it is last generation product running at SATA 3 Gbps. You might as well get Samsung 830 128 6 Gbps around the same price.
http://www.adorama.com/SSGZ7PC128BW.html?gclid=CM343NTSgroCFbF0QgodQyAA8A

Second, if you want sound quality, get a quality headphone with microphone separately. NOT headset. For example, on budget I would get these two,
http://www.amazon.com/Creative-EF0060-Aurvana-Live-Headphones/dp/B000ZJZ7OA
http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Zm-Mic1-Sensitivity-Headphone-Microphone/dp/B00029MTMQ

Which I guarantee you will blow that Kraken in terms of sound quality.

You can save some money on motherboard, do you really want Maximus? Are you buying it for the look? You can save some money on the cooler (unless you are looking for the look again).

Thanatos Telos

random stuff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First of all, Intel 320 series you picked is overpriced. It is a reliable SSD (I have used it before), but it is last generation product running at SATA 3 Gbps. You might as well get Samsung 830 128 6 Gbps around the same price.

Second, if you want sound quality, get a quality headphone with microphone separately. NOT headset. For example, on budget I would get these three,
http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Zm-Mic1-Sensitivity-Headphone-Microphone/dp/B00029MTMQ
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-XONAR-Headphone-Audio-Card/dp/B0045JHJSS

You can save some money on motherboard, do you really want Maximus? Are you buying it for the look? You can save some money on the cooler (unless you are looking for the look again).

If he gets the Maximus, the sound card is somewhat unnecessary, because the Maximus's onboard audio is about the same as a Xonar AFAIK.

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If he gets the Maximus, the sound card is somewhat unnecessary, because the Maximus's onboard audio is about the same as a Xonar AFAIK.
I taken out the sound card, but I'm not sure if SupremeFX used on Maximus supports Dolby Headphone. Some FPS gamers prefer Dolby Headphone or similar virtual surround sound.

The Riolu

Emanation Pokémon
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Second, if you want sound quality, get a quality headphone with microphone separately. NOT headset. For example, on budget I would get these two,

I'm looking at the Maximus because I've always had a positive outcome with ASUS, and it is an entry-level motherboard that suits my needs. Plus, looking at reviews, I had heard that it is a solid product. What else would you suggest other than the Maximus?

For the headphones, I would prefer the Razer Kraken just because its an entry-level gaming headset. I don't need audiophile quality.

Yeah, I heard that the audio on the mobo is pretty good quality.

LegendAssassinF

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
It seems like you should rethink some of your parts because I was able to make a build with everything minus keyboard and headset for 1200$ and was able to put in a GTX 770... some parts you seem to be paying top price such as the SSD, MOBO, and Case... It seems like you just looked up Corsair products and want to build from just them. I'm not saying you shouldn't buy Corsair since it is a great brand but you could save some money if you look at other companies. You could save some money by dumping the keyboard/headset and going for something that wouldn't break the bank.

I only paid like 50-75$ for my keyboard and I travel a lot to play in League of Legends tournaments and SC2 tournaments with my friends. Unless you are going to play professional FPS I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a headset either because there is no point.

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm looking at the Maximus because I've always had a positive outcome with ASUS, and it is an entry-level motherboard that suits my needs. Plus, looking at reviews, I had heard that it is a solid product. What else would you suggest other than the Maximus?
Maximus is an overpriced motherboard. Typically speaking all ASUS motherboards carry premium pricetag when comparing against competing motherboards. ASUS RMA policy isn't stellar either. Now Maximus does use better onboard audio, but you can simply make that up with cheaper motherboard and Xonar DG or DGX. If I were you I'd go with Gigabyte Z87X-D3H with Xonar DG and still save about $30 to $50.

Even if you don't care about audio quality that Zalman microphone is still the preferred microphone over any gaming headset.

The Riolu

Emanation Pokémon
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems like you should rethink some of your parts because I was able to make a build with everything minus keyboard and headset for 1200$ and was able to put in a GTX 780... some parts you seem to be paying top price such as the SSD, MOBO, and Case... It seems like you just looked up Corsair products and want to build from just them. I'm not saying you shouldn't buy Corsair since it is a great brand but you could save some money if you look at other companies. You could save some money by dumping the keyboard/headset and going for something that wouldn't break the bank.

I only paid like 50-75$ for my keyboard and I travel a lot to play in League of Legends tournaments and SC2 tournaments with my friends. Unless you are going to play professional FPS I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a headset either because there is no point.

I am looking over the part selection and I'm stuck at the CPU cooler: What do you suggest for (brand-wise) a decent CPU cooler?

I also have removed the Kraken Pro and the Das Keyboard as they are useless; I found my Razer Anansi and my Logitech G930s.

Maximus is an overpriced motherboard. Typically speaking all ASUS motherboards carry premium pricetag when comparing against competing motherboards. ASUS RMA policy isn't stellar either. Now Maximus does use better onboard audio, but you can simply make that up with cheaper motherboard and Xonar DG or DGX. If I were you I'd go with Gigabyte Z87X-D3H with Xonar DG and still save about $30 to $50.

Even if you don't care about audio quality that Zalman microphone is still the preferred microphone over any gaming headset.

I put that Zalman microphone into consideration but since I have the Blue Snowball microphone as well I don't need to buy that.

I have updated the mobo and sound card as well in the original post.

I need to find a cheaper case however that still looks nice; any suggestions?

The Riolu

Emanation Pokémon
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

LegendAssassinF

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I have replaced the case with a Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Added to original post).

I am wondering how you ended up getting the 780 in there without breaking $1800; what do you have hardware-wise that made it only $1200? Did you buy a monitor with your setup?

I edited my post it was a 770 not 780 lol

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Zip ties is about as good as you can get from cable management. Just stuff the cable at the back of the case.

I personally cut out all SATA & molex cables and made custom length cables. I'd only do that once your PSU is out of warranty.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0: im more interested in metroid prime 4