Hacking Payloads for 10.6 up etc

Starhowl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Can someone explain to me what it means that the latest 'payloads' are up for 10.6 and what smea's latest tweets from Feb 25 etc. mean?

ChaosRipple

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In order to run some sort of exploit, a payload must be installed where the exploit launches. For example, for Oot3DHax, the payload must be injected into the save file of the Oot3D game. Now, everytime there is a system update, the payload must be updated so that its offsets match the ones of the new update. Hence, the payloads for 10.6 are created to allow exploiting into the Homebrew Launcher on a version 10.6 system.

Starhowl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
why is nobody talking about this around here? doesn't it mean that 10.6 updated systems now are exploitable?

Tony_93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why is nobody talking about this around here? doesn't it mean that 10.6 updated systems now are exploitable?

Yes but still no...

There are several types of exploits and ways for code execution to happen but to put it simple for you, there are 2 basic things you should uderstand:

"userland code execution" and "kernel code execution", userland gives you access to what games and apps can access only, but kernel gives you full access to the system.

Smea's homebrew launcher only needs userland code execution which as I said before it will give full access to what games and apps have access to, for example it will allow you to play homebrew games and other things in a userland level, kernel in the other hand will give you full access to the system and everything it can do, run a CFW for example, dump your NAND, downgrade your system, etc...

No one is talking about this because we have had userland code execution in every firmware since a bit more than a year now thanks to Smea, this is not something new hapenning in 10.6

Last edited by Tony_93,

Starhowl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Well I'm wondering if Gateway will come out with their promised (kernel mode?) exploit for 10.3 soon..

Tony_93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I'm wondering if Gateway will come out with their promised (kernel mode?) exploit for 10.3 soon..

The exploit is out there already, is called Memchunkhax2 and it allows you to downgrade your system to 9.2 (sysupdater) and use Gateway/CFW (once you get to 9.2).

Last edited by Tony_93,

Starhowl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
But it also could brick my console.. right?
If they say 'an exploit is out for 10.3', does this mean there is an exploit out for 10.3.28E, 10.3.28U, 10.3.14, 10.3.01, etc. ..?
(in other words for all regions and all subversions?)

Tony_93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But it also could brick my console.. right?
If they say 'an exploit is out for 10.3', does this mean there is an exploit out for 10.3.28E, 10.3.28U, 10.3.14, 10.3.01, etc. ..?
(in other words for all regions and all subversions?)

The region doesn't matter and there is only 10.3.28, there is no 10.3.01, no 10.3.02... no 10.3.27...So as long as it is 10.3 you can use Memchunkhax2 on it.

There is a chance of bricking your system either by human error (wrong files used), corrupted files used or by extremely bad luck and the downgrade proccess halts at some point for an unknown reason (it happens once in a while).

The only %100 safe way to do this without risk is to hardmod your system and dump your NAND before trying the downgrade proccess, you can either do it yourself if you know how to solder or send your system to a trusted usee from this website (charge would be around $40). So in any case your system bricks midway in the proccess, you can bring him back from the dead by flashing the backup and trying again.

Last edited by Tony_93,

ChaosRipple

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Nobody is really talking about it because like Tony_93 says, the exploit being used by what Smealum is referring to in those tweets don't give full privileges. Also, at this current time, those updates payloads for 10.6 only work with Oot3D and Cubic Ninja (and maybe SSB?) since the Web Browser and the Home Menu was patched, meaning you'd have to pay at minimum of about $55 out of your pocket to access the exploit. And like Tony_93 says, we've had this exploit for a long time already. We're only patching it to allow it to work on the latest system update.

That's putting words into Gateway's mouth. They said they're "providing support up to version 10.3." That doesn't exactly mean they will provide a kernel exploit to work with 10.3. It could just mean they will provide a downgrade method for 10.3 users so that they will be able to use Gateway on 9.2, which is exactly what they're saying on their website.

Though, if they can implement NTRCardHax into their carts or even use SNSHax, they can technically get kernel on 10.3 (even on O3DS).

Last edited by ChaosRipple,

Starhowl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Is there anyway some kind of Google sheet or Excel table for a comparison between different firmwares?

ChaosRipple

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there anyway some kind of Google sheet or Excel table for a comparison between different firmwares?

This is the official Nintendo link, although they aren't exactly descriptive, probably because they don't want to let more people know about possible exploits. 3DBrew has more info on exactly what changes.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went to auction at a mom/pops video game store few months ago that was closing, and bought 11 slims for $200, 1 was DOA but 10 work fine. so hella deal. Already rgh3'ed 8 of them. But most younger kids don't even want anymore, unless it plays stupid "fortnight", or newer shit.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Think I'm gonna use my giftcard balance on a nice pair of headphones but $100 is still limited
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Soundcore q30s are nice but they leak so much sound it sounds like speakers
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Ken spend the 100 on a gun and skii mask, wait for a jogger at the park jewelry money and headphones!
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If only Amazon sold guns
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fucking dick heads think it's a bad idea to get a gun 2 days later
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wait, I thought you were the dickhe...nvm
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got balls on my chin and two dicks on my forehead sir
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sorry, no offense there double dickhead chinballs.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Chicks still love it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Mommy, look, what is that?". "That's your soon to be daddy."
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That you'll only see once
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Double dickhead chinballs is still better than double dickhead eyeballs.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    As in, the balls will grow in your eye sockets.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I paid 5 grand to get them moved to my chin
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    This you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My hair can't be that cool
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Ah, yes, portrait mode, surely the best way to film a row of people. If only there were some way to fit a wider shot, at the expense of height... if only...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    4k portrait mode?
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/Rx-KuevU4h4?si=1MoSvL-y5fFFHf58 Damn kinda sad for Iran