Partially Bricked Wii - Please Help

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Dees_Troy, Dec 31, 2009.

Dec 31, 2009
  1. Dees_Troy
    OP

Newcomer Dees_Troy Newbie

United States
    I was following xzxero's guide here, the older one from 2 days ago and not the one he just updated, but from this thread:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=171901

I completed all of the main steps, bannerbomb to install HBC, Bootmii as IOS but haven't made a NAND backup yet, deleted stub IOSes, Trucha bug restored, and installed the wads for IOS70 and IOS249 rev 14 (I didn't install the 222 and 223 ones yet). I also installed the USB Loader GX Forwarder. I then went to install Preloader as a final step to prevent accidental updates. First time I tried to install it, it dumped. I rebooted the Wii and everything came up just fine including the system menu, so I tried to install Preloader again. This time Preloader installed correctly and I rebooted the Wii again. Preloader came up and I enabled the system menu hacks to press A at health screen and disable disc and Internet updates. I clicked to start the system menu and the screen went blank for a second and then Preloader came back up. For a few times I could click to go to the HBC, but now loading the HBC gives me garbled video and that's it. Preloader still works and I can get into Bootmii. I can also install and load a program using Preloader. Right now I have the Wad Manager working. I tried to reinstall the IOS70 wad listed in the guide a few times (never uninstalling it), but it's still no go. I also tried reinstalling the IOS249 rev 14 without uninstalling. I do not have a NAND backup of this Wii yet.

It was running 4.2U when it arrived at my house. It is a LU39 serial. It is a US model Wii. I haven't done anything else to it to try to fix it. It is the third 4.2U Wii that I've tried to hack. The other 2 Wiis went just fine. I don't claim to be an expert, so please try to be very clear with any instructions you give. Thanks in advance.

2. icebrg5

Member icebrg5 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    If you can get into the HBC and actually see what your doing you could try installing a newer version of priiloader.

I'm not sure which version was included with guide you used.

3. Dees_Troy
    OP

United States
    DeadlyFoez, I followed your instructions. I downloaded the hbcloader.rar file with the HAXX to JODI forwarder wad and installed the wad using the Wad Manager. I now have a working HBC and can get to it both from Preloader and BootMii. Obviously this hasn't fixed system menu problem, but at least I have HBC. I have not attempted to upgrade Preloader.

So, what do I need to do to get a working system menu again?

Also, you'll forgive my ignorance, but I was under the impression that a NAND backup wasn't all that useful when BootMii can only be installed as an IOS. I was also under the impression that Preloader was highly recommended when BootMii could not be installed as an IOS. Are my impressions wrong?

4. Ultralex

Member Ultralex GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    Get a system menu wad from your version and region with NUSDownloader ,install it with wad manager and everything should be back again.
    edit oh and if you do that,you'll need to reinstall preloader.

5. Dees_Troy
    OP

United States
    I reinstalled the system menu and all is well again. Thanks everyone.

6. cldinmd

Newcomer cldinmd Newbie

United States
    A family member unknowingly updated our menu to 4.2v and it wipped out the Homebrew channel, etc. Now our wii play 1 "original game" out of 3. Otherwise, once the game loads, it goes to a black screen and is stuck. I am a slow learner and did not personally soft mode my own wii. I had a college kid do this which required me to buy a SD Card & external HD. Which by the way, I can not get my PC to recognize the external harddrive. My pc uses Windows Vista. When I plug it in it wants to format it. But my biggest problem right now is is my Wii. Is it done for? How can I return it to the way it was, playing my "back ups", etc?

I followed the instructions with bootMii and Hackmill installer vo.6. Here's what I got:
    The test results are in:
    Using IOS versions: Installer: 34, HBC: 61, DVDX: 36
    The homebrew channel: can be installed
    DVDX: can be installed
    Bootmill:
    The installed boot1 version prevents a boot2 install (-2) -->continue
    **I don't understand what that means**

This put the HB channel back but I only get bubbles across the screen and have to unplug the Wii from its powersource.

Is this something that can be repair? I need HELP and in plain english. Thanks a million.