Hacking Paperclip RCM "jig"

unvaluablespace

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mods if you feel this should be removed, feel free to do so!

I'd like to share original credit to Tomman321 due to his original instructions which i ended up doing my own spin on!
https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-how-to-test-fusee-gelee.501846/page-15#post-7936649

What I did was took a paperclip that fit right against the joycon rails per his instructions in the link. But I wanted a more "foolproof" version that I didn't have to fiddle with every time, so I took a pair of pliers and bent the pins in the shape in the images below to allow them to "snuggly" touch against the 1 and 10 pins.

I tried to take several shots to hopefully better convey the shape needed to do this:
upload_2018-4-25_23-17-54.png

upload_2018-4-25_23-18-10.png

upload_2018-4-25_23-18-27.png

The idea is to bend it in such a way that it touches the pins when you push it into the slot, while allowing for ease of connecting/removing:
Cue my terrible paint skillz:
upload_2018-4-25_23-20-4.png

The end result is a paperclip that I shaped so that I don't have to hold it or connect it in a specific way or angle. done properly, I can feel when it touches the pins, and so far getting the Switch to boot in RCM mode works flawlessly every time:

upload_2018-4-25_23-22-6.png

keep in mind that you need a paperclip at just the right size to where the clip itself touches against the inner portion of the railing. Hope this helps. :)

EDIT: Since everyone is liking this so far I decided to grab the only measurement tool I have. I hope the pics below help you guys out even more.

Keep in mind it was an inch measuring tape (sorry, metric users, you'll have to figure out the conversions yourself!):

upload_2018-4-26_0-13-14.png

EDIT2: some of you have expressed concerns about wearing out the pins using this method. While I don't exactly recommend inserting the pin 5,000 times, I feel rather confident that with the proper shape, and care when using, this wont be an issue. I have attached some pics I took showing the pins on my switch, with and without the paperclip. I tested this method at least 30 times before I felt comfortable enough to post instructions to share with everyone, and even as of today, the images should hopefully show that the pins don't look stressed at all, and that my paperclip isn't being "forced" in in anyway either:

upload_2018-4-26_18-54-0.png

That said, I am not responsible for your abuse of this method. Take proper care when making our own. I just wanted to help the community and figured this was an easy enough to create alternative to 3D printed jigs and wires. :)

Last edited by unvaluablespace,

unvaluablespace

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok. I am going to order some replacement parts because I know with all the people on this site shoving random objects into the connectors on their switches, there is bound to be hundreds of people that greatly damage them and need repairs.
To be fair, the way mine are bent they barely touched the pins. nothing gets pressed in. I tested my paperclip about 30 times before I felt comfortable enough to post this, and my Joy-cons all still function fine. I even tested the inputs in settings.

You may still be right though, if anyone else creating this isn't careful enough doing so, they might bend the contact point too much and force it in. ouch! If anyone doesn't feel comfortable enough doing this, they can still pay the guys selling the 3D printed jigs. :)

Resaec

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just bend my future modkit. It is kinda tricky to get it to hit the right pins, but with a flashlight you can take a look inside and fit the clip in perfectly.

For everyone using metric system:
IMG_20180427_003457.jpg IMG_20180427_003537.jpg IMG_20180427_003612.jpg

The dent is a tight fit to be big enough to hold it's place, but not too big to fit at all... Try to make it exactly 2mm, a little more than on my picture and it will be perfect

Last edited by Resaec,

bones123

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was able to do this with the thin wire from a stripped twist tie on my first try, and every attempt thereafter. Just look inside the rail with a carefully balanced flashlight, touch one end of literally anything conductive to the first and last pins, hold the Volume + button, and hit the power button. If you did it right, nothing should happen on-screen, and after about a second you can remove the wire and plug the Switch into your computer for the hax. Way easier than expected, and by not jamming a thick paperclip into the rail, there's no risk of bending or breaking anything, you're just lightly touching the contact points.

Last edited by bones123,

unvaluablespace

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was able to do this with the thin wire from a stripped twist tie on my first try, and every attempt thereafter. Just look inside the rail with a carefully balanced flashlight, touch one end of literally anything conductive to the first and last pins, hold the Volume + button, and hit the power button. If you did it right, nothing should happen on-screen, and after about a second you can remove the wire and plug the Switch into your computer for the hax. Way easier than expected, and by not jamming a thick paperclip into the rail, there's no risk of bending or breaking anything, you're just lightly touching the contact points.
Yeah, I tried the wire thing. Maybe im just impatient, but it didnt work for me. too much fiddling around trying to make it hold the contact with Pin 10, and out of multiple attempts i barely got it to work. EDIT: I have added a few more pics trying to show the condition my pins are in using this method. So far so good for me. Also.......

I BEG YOUR PARDON!? MY PAPERCLIP IS NOT THICK! ITS JUST BIG BONED! :)

Seriously though, unless you are using a huge paperclip, the one I used is not in any way "thick". Fits just right, and it also lightly touches the contact points. Nothing is forced. It slides right in when done correctly.
God, without context that sounds so dirty......:rofl2:

Last edited by unvaluablespace,

unvaluablespace

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just bend my future modkit. It is kinda tricky to get it to hit the right pins, but with a flashlight you can take a look inside and fit the clip in perfectly.

View attachment 121499 View attachment 121500 View attachment 121501

The dent is a tight fit on the switch... try to make it exactly 2mm, a little more than on my picture
Maybe try straightening out the bend just a little more. dont force it in if its a tight fit. On mine, nothing is forced, and its not a tight fit at all. Adjust as needed for your paperclip. Maybe you have a thicker paperclip than the one I used, and it might need to be completely straight. if its completely straight and still feels like a tight fit when connecting to the pins, I'd say don't use that one, and try a smaller paperclip.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is probably the best one without requiring a 3D printer :)

However I will most likely just open the joy con and connect a cable from the 10 pin and touch the Switch cooling fins which is grounded and theres just no way for error :).

But I'm too lazy to make a new partition and install ubuntu just for this yet... if a cool payload appears I will probably test, can't wait for the CFW :grog:, summer might come faster with the crazy ass releases that appeared...

ps: Those releases where like Happy Birthday to us, but Summer will be Christmas 4 me :P. Hell I even hate Christmas... Summer Christmas will be way better.

Resaec

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Maybe try straightening out the bend just a little more. dont force it in if its a tight fit. On mine, nothing is forced, and its not a tight fit at all. Adjust as needed for your paperclip. Maybe you have a thicker paperclip than the one I used, and it might need to be completely straight. if its completely straight and still feels like a tight fit when connecting to the pins, I'd say don't use that one, and try a smaller paperclip.
I have to correct this part. The bend was too small and the paper clip hit the bottom of the rail...
A bend of 2mm is a perfect fit

kudofan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok. I am going to order some replacement parts because I know with all the people on this site shoving random objects into the connectors on their switches, there is bound to be hundreds of people that greatly damage them and need repairs.
Don't forget to sell them on eBay for like 30 times the amount they're actually worth!

Reactions: unvaluablespace

Stercate79

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
>inches
are you kidding me

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

View attachment 121499 View attachment 121500 View attachment 121501

The dent is a tight fit to be big enough to hold it's place, but not too big to fit at all... Try to make it exactly 2mm, a little more than on my picture and it will be perfect
add this please

Reactions: DairyOrange

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for the measurements. Managed to make one and once I had the bends just right, I set it with some electrical tape, now I can slide it right in the rail and down into the lip and it works every time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.