Pando Media Booster

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Zetta_x, Nov 10, 2011.

Nov 10, 2011

Pando Media Booster by Zetta_x at 6:15 AM (915 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. Zetta_x
    OP

Member Zetta_x The Insane Statistician

United States
    I opened up peer block, and it was blocking about a hundred connections to random universities and other places at once. So I investigated a little and using netstat -ano I found the process ID which was associated to the port it was accessing.

The program was SVChost and it was associated with panda media booster. Turns out this program uses unused internet bandwidth to help stream videos for other people which explains the hundreds of connections I was getting per minute.

Should I be concerned about this?

2. kevan

Member kevan Imagination rules the world

Australia
    As far as I know svchost is a normal process...

Edit: Yeah I'm running svchost as well.

3. ecko

Member ecko GBAtemp Regular

Afghanistan
    i think he's talking more about PMB, than svchost

@ Zetta_x
    yeah i blocked it from running as it was quite the memory hog on my pc, so far no downsides from doing that.

4. I2aven's_Sag

Member I2aven's_Sag GBATemp Otaku

United States
    If I remember correctly, it's part of the P2P component of League of Legends.

5. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom

6. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Shit son, I didn't know it was used for that. I thought it was just a third-party streaming library.

7. Zetta_x
    OP

United States
    Thanks for the replies. It was downloaded along with League of Legends (maybe the replay viewer). I just didn't know it had ran actively (not sure if it was on the start-up list as I was not pretty hesitant on removing it completely). I wanted to take a video because there were literally hundreds of people accessing that port per minute that were being blocked by peerblock. But as I understand it, it comes packaged with a lot of F2P MMO's that prowler has stated.

I am not sure how much of my spare bandwidth it was using, but in a house hold of 5 people who actively use internet with max speeds of 1 mbps - there is no such thing as spare bandwidth (especially some of the ubuntu installations seem to use as much bandwidth as possible with downloads) and I'm not sure why there were so many people accessing my computer through that port.

I was just glad I was not being used for a botnet attack or something =P

8. I2aven's_Sag

Member I2aven's_Sag GBATemp Otaku

United States
    It runs actively as a part of the adobe air client. When you open the game up. click the top-right "gear" by the minimize & maximize buttons. There, you'll be able to disable it (and peer-peer) transfer for the patches, PMB.exe is the p2p facilitator. it's native in the game itself, not lolreplay.

1 person likes this.
  9. Zetta_x
    OP

United States
    Thanks for the information I2aven's_sage