PAL update bricks PAL console

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Kurpitsa, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Kurpitsa
    OP

Kurpitsa Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 4, 2006
    Finland
    Hello,
    today I got a PAL Punch-Out!! for my PAL Wii. Since I had Wii System Version 3.2, the game wanted to update the console.
    I didn't want to do this, so I used the Freeloader's ability to skip updates by inserting the Freeloader disc two times successively.
    That didn't do anything, but since I already had the Homebrew Channel installed, I thought "What the heck, let's update".

The update installed from the disc, said it was installed succesfully. After that, the console displayed nothing but a black screen.
    After a minute I turned the console off and on again, still a black screen. I haven't been able to get a picture out ever since.

It would seem the Wii is bricked, but I only thought it could happen by installing a update from a different region than the console.
    What I had here was a PAL game and a PAL console, so what gives? Did the freeloader do something to cause this? I really don't have
    anything "unauthorised" on the console other than the HBC and DVDx, so I really don't think they could have caused the system to malfunction.

Any ideas about what happened? I don't think I have much choice but to send the console to Nintendo and beg for repairs, but I would
    really like to know how I managed to screw this up so majorly, both for curiosity and for future knowledge.

Thank you in advance.

2. beegee7730

beegee7730 ITS PAAFEKUTO!

Banned
    Mar 31, 2009
    England
    Did you switch off whilst updating by any chance?

3. Kurpitsa
    OP

Kurpitsa Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 4, 2006
    Finland
    No, only after the update was finished. I clicked OK to close the window that told me the update was done and waited for a minute or two for the game to start, but since nothing happened, I turned the Wii off.

4. pappapishu

pappapishu Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 11, 2009
    Italy
    Milano
    Which version of Homebrew Channel do you have?

I think only with the very latest versions the update to System Menu 4.0 is considered safe by Team Twiizers,
    I remember seeing a warning to not update to 4.0 on their site, not long ago... maybe this explains your situation!

5. Kurpitsa
    OP

Kurpitsa Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 4, 2006
    Finland
    Well, my HBC is version 1.0.3., which I think is supposed to be the most recent one and Punch-Out!!'s update should only be up to 3.4, but who knows? I always thought that simply having the HBC installed would not do anything to your console even if you updated.

6. pappapishu

pappapishu Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 11, 2009
    Italy
    Milano
    Hmm...maybe the freeloader disc puts the wii into a 'region free mode' that is the equivalent of being 'not PAL', hence
    the brick of your Wii...!

7. Kurpitsa
    OP

Kurpitsa Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 4, 2006
    Finland
    I quess you're right, pappapishu. Thanks for the help, both of you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice