Kurpitsa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Hello,
today I got a PAL Punch-Out!! for my PAL Wii. Since I had Wii System Version 3.2, the game wanted to update the console.
I didn't want to do this, so I used the Freeloader's ability to skip updates by inserting the Freeloader disc two times successively.
That didn't do anything, but since I already had the Homebrew Channel installed, I thought "What the heck, let's update".

The update installed from the disc, said it was installed succesfully. After that, the console displayed nothing but a black screen.
After a minute I turned the console off and on again, still a black screen. I haven't been able to get a picture out ever since.

It would seem the Wii is bricked, but I only thought it could happen by installing a update from a different region than the console.
What I had here was a PAL game and a PAL console, so what gives? Did the freeloader do something to cause this? I really don't have
anything "unauthorised" on the console other than the HBC and DVDx, so I really don't think they could have caused the system to malfunction.

Any ideas about what happened? I don't think I have much choice but to send the console to Nintendo and beg for repairs, but I would
really like to know how I managed to screw this up so majorly, both for curiosity and for future knowledge.

Thank you in advance.

Kurpitsa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
No, only after the update was finished. I clicked OK to close the window that told me the update was done and waited for a minute or two for the game to start, but since nothing happened, I turned the Wii off.

pappapishu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Which version of Homebrew Channel do you have?

I think only with the very latest versions the update to System Menu 4.0 is considered safe by Team Twiizers,
I remember seeing a warning to not update to 4.0 on their site, not long ago... maybe this explains your situation!

Kurpitsa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Well, my HBC is version 1.0.3., which I think is supposed to be the most recent one and Punch-Out!!'s update should only be up to 3.4, but who knows? I always thought that simply having the HBC installed would not do anything to your console even if you updated.

pappapishu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hmm...maybe the freeloader disc puts the wii into a 'region free mode' that is the equivalent of being 'not PAL', hence
the brick of your Wii...!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 90K it's fine lol