PAL UK unit vs PAL european unit (Zurich)

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by dsliteboy, Nov 6, 2007.

Nov 6, 2007
  1. dsliteboy

Newcomer dsliteboy Member

Oct 19, 2006

Sorry I have searched the boards and google, and yes perhaps I have used the wrong keywords, but i cannot find an answer ....

The question is as follows - I cannot buy a wii in London for love nor money .. but im in Zurich at the moment, and can buy them here

Other than having to change the plugs, will they function ok, or are there PAL variants like NTSC-U and NTSC-J

many many thanks
  2. legendofphil

Member legendofphil Phil no Densetsu

Nov 19, 2002
    United Kingdom
    There is no difference, except the power cable has different pins to the UK one. So long as it says PAL on it, it will work with games over here.
  3. reecarno

Newcomer reecarno Member

Jun 15, 2007
    United Kingdom
    I have a UK Pal Wii and a Pal Wii from Spain; I bought it during a holiday in May 07. Apart from it costing around £7.00 less over there it’s totally the same. Even the box and instructions were in English. As mentioned above its just the Plug that’s different and mine is using a simple £3.00 adapter I got from Maplins, which if you shop around you can get for less.

I have a wiikey in it too and it’s been no trouble at all.

Although you're only going to find recent wii versions out there now so, if a mod chips your game you will be looking at a D2Ckey for sure "20 odd wires", you might want to look at buying a pre-mod Wii first or try eBay, I know that’s an expensive idea but I’m just weighing up your odds.

If you are going out to Europe to buy one just make sure you can bring it back; what with all the extra security at the airports I had mine with on the plane (didn’t trust the buffoons in baggage handling) It got a good searching, they only stopped short of rubber gloves and lubricant. Not sure if you are allowed to actually take this kind of item on board now. If you are going to import then the price plus shipping plus d2ckey and someone to install it may come to the same price as on eBay or a pre modified wii.