The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
or would that brick the console?
Console won't be bricked as long as you have the ORIGINAL backup created when you installed MechaPwn, so it's fairly safe to try out your theories. I would keep a copy of the backup someplace safe just to be sure.

fenderjaguar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
well it doesn't brick it. you can install the CEX USA 50001 on a PAL 50003 console, then install the DEX for USA 50001.

it still doesn't play the NTSC PS1 CD-R though. I'll see if it can play it with the regular USA 50001 CEX and the disk swap when my real USA PS1 dummy bait game arrives :wink:

I'm still pretty impressed that it can play the PAL PS1 CD-R though, no disk swap, doesn't even need a FMCB card in, and certainly no ulaunchelf and PS2DISC/PSXlauncher etc

I think I'll probably keep the regular PAL 50003 mechapwn DEX flashed to the system/bios/whatever

Last edited by fenderjaguar,

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
it still doesn't play the NTSC PS1 CD-R though.
I figured this would be the case. It seemed to be implied that something deeper than the mechacon was responsible for the region issues on PAL/NTSC-J consoles. Glad you gave it a shot, anyway. It's always good to experiment and learn more about your console (as long as you're not risking anything in doing so, of course).

fenderjaguar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
ok, so I have finally done it! :grog:

there is a tool called PS1VModeNeg. this is simply an elf that you launch, that will launch an NTSC game in 60hz. why didn't I find this sooner?:

https://github.com/ps2homebrew/PS1VModeNeg

download the american or japanese games, then patch all the bin files before you burn to CD-R with PSX/PS2 disc patcher 3.0. select individual .bins > PSX > Europe > patch

https://www.ps2-home.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=426

also, imo you really need the machine in mechapwn DEX mode too. then launch the console with FCMB, whilst holding R1 and launch the PS1VModeNeg elf

---------------------------------------------------------------

-i'm going to edit this post and leave absolutely clear instructions to anyone with a PAL 5000x and above type of PS2, since I spent so much time on this:

-install FMCB v1.966 "multi install" on the PS2 memory card.

-install mechapwn "Retail-DEX" of the same region and version of your console. you should then be able to launch a burned CD-R of a PAL PSX game, even without the FMCB card in, directly from the OSD, but it will only run in 50hz PAL.

-patch .bin files of a USA/Jap PSX game to "europe", with PSX/PS2 Disc Patcher v3.0, before you burn it to CD-R with IMGburn. The game should then launch directly from the OSD, but it will run in 50hz PAL.

-launch PS1VModeNeg.elf, with ulaunchelf, to launch the game properly in 60hz NTSC. you can launch the elf before you've put the CD in, if you want (it will prompt you to put the disc in the drive.

Last edited by fenderjaguar,

rsc-pl

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
-launch PS1VModeNeg.elf, with ulaunchelf, to launch the game properly in 60hz NTSC. you can launch the elf before you've put the CD in, if you want (it will prompt you to put the disc in the drive.
So it's not possible to pre-patch the .bin files, it's always required to use PS1VModeNeg.elf?

fenderjaguar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So it's not possible to pre-patch the .bin files, it's always required to use PS1VModeNeg.elf?
patching the bin files will make a US/Jap game work, without having to use ps1vmodeng, but it will always run in PAL 50hz.

yes, I think you have to use ps1vmodeneg to launch the game in 60hz NTSC, it's the only way I know of

I personally have the elf assigned to my L1 button, held when booting up the console, but I should imagine it will work as shortcut from the FMCB menu

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I'd consider Chromebooks an Android PC. +1