P2 Controller in Emulators for DS

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by AXYPB, Oct 8, 2008.

Oct 8, 2008

P2 Controller in Emulators for DS by AXYPB at 6:11 AM (1,752 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. AXYPB
    OP

Member AXYPB GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Is it at all possible to take control of the second controller in SnemulDS or jEnesisDS?

2. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    you know i've never tried. but i just did some quick research and it appears no. there is no way to link up ds2ds to use the second controller. snemulds seems to be a stalled project but jenesis is ongoing. perhaps its worth a post at one of the dev forums.

-another world

3. Aerundel

Newcomer Aerundel Advanced Member

United States
    I don't think he's talking about linking 2 DS's together, but simply the option to map player 2's buttons to the DS's buttons. Sometimes I do this on MAME on my PC and play TMNT with all 4 turtles at once [​IMG]

I doubt it was a priority on anyone's emulator development. How many of these things got to version 1.0? None that I know of. Being able to map P2's buttons seems like something to work on AFTER you get all the game compatibility and performance issues worked out.

4. Vague Rant

Member Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Australia
    You can do this with FrodoDS, since a lot of Commodore 64 games actually required you to use the player two joystick, but that's not strictly what you're after.

5. knoxvillz

Member knoxvillz GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    yeh, i was hoping one of the emulators would have that feature, i would really love to play a 2 player streets of rage on the DS

[​IMG] that must have been hard

6. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    This is off-topic, but I've never understood this logic. What is it about the number 1.0 that automatically guarantees quality? What if a developer starts at v0.01 and increments up by 0.01 each version. Does he have to make 100 versions before the general public even gives it a try? What about the guy who starts at 1.0 and increases by 1 each version. Is every version he releases automatically a high-quality release?

Not trying to pick on you in particular, just making a point.

7. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    when i code my projects start with 1. each major bug fix of the same code found in 1 gets a .1 and so on. if i rewrite or add something really different it get a 2.0 other wise it gets a 1.1.1. this is how i keep apps/games/code/scripts straight on my own pc. the numbers have nothing to do with quality, when something is truly done and all the bugs are gone it gets a name with no build numbers.

-another world

8. Aerundel

Newcomer Aerundel Advanced Member

United States
    1.0 is just a milestone, and it happens to be a milestone that not many emulators reach, unless they don't bother to start below that number. Most DS emulators have started and ended below that number, so that's why I used it. The convention is that once you fix the majority of known bugs and compatibility issues, and have locked the feature set, you have reached a milestone. So you skip to the next whole number and release that as non-beta. The dev can increment as many times as they want, but calling something "complete" and then releasing it as version 1.87 or 3.42.5 just goes against the convention. "Quality" is relative - version numbers are a means to mark progress.

So back to my point: by looking at the version numbers and examining the list of things that still need to be done, my guess is that "adding player 2" to a 1 player device isn't something that the devs are/were worried about until they've ironed out the issues and have started to lock features for the milestone release.