Own a Switch thinking about getting a Wii U?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Nemix77, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Nemix77
    OP

Nemix77 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 30, 2009
    Canada
    I never owned a Wii U but I recently bought a Switch and think it's so good, I grew up on Nintendo consoles/handhelds mainly the original NES, Super NES, original GameBoy, GBC, GBA and got the Wii when it came out.

I skipped the N64 and jumped on the PSX, PS2 and PS3 (though I still owned a Wii alongside my PS3 but I sold it when I got the PS3), I'm thinking of getting a Wii U mainly for Nintendo first party titles and the Virtual Wii which upscale Wii games on HDMI connection.

My grip is in my mind a lot of the Wii U games are potential ports for the Switch and there's not many games in the library of the console since I still own the PS3 plus I'm not a fan of the two top analog sticks on the Wii U's Pro Controller, I also think some Wii games will be remastered for the Switch and I'm hoping Xenoblade Chronicles is one of them.

Convince me...

Last edited by Nemix77, Apr 30, 2017

2. cornerpath

cornerpath GBAtemp Fan

Dec 15, 2014
    United States
    Jackson, Ms
    BROOO HOW COULD YOU SKIP N64

CatmanFan and SSG Vegeta like this.
  3. Nemix77
    OP

May 30, 2009
    Canada
    I was into 2D fighters at the time (and still am...LOL) and the N64 controller did not appeal to me plus FF7 was on the PSX and the fact the PSX used CD's for games which a big technology leap at the time (only now do I understand cartridge is actually better).

Put this way I wanted something different to express myself as a teenager back then and Sony nailed with more mature games...

4. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    go on ebay and you can find wii u systems that don't cost too much. heck you can get the mario kart 8 bundle for around 300 i think. why not have the best of both nintendo worlds? a switch for better looking games, and well a wii u for piracy and homebrew?

5. Nemix77
    OP

May 30, 2009
    Canada
    I got Mario Kart 8 Deluxe...I miss playing some Wii games but I would not get a Wii right now since the Wii U can do everything the Wii can and more.

6. VitaType

VitaType GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 16, 2016
    Germany
    You worry about the amount of games the WiiU has, yet you bought a NX? You're a rather odd person.

Last edited by VitaType, Apr 30, 2017
    CatmanFan, biggan1 and Hayleia like this.
  7. Nemix77
    OP

May 30, 2009
    Canada
    The Switch has the most traditional controller Nintendo has ever came out with bare the SNES controller, motion is optional and only some games support it, gyro is mostly optional and the Pro Controller feels as good if not better than the 360's controller.

I'm not worried the Switch doesn't have a big library of games right now since the system itself makes so much sense as both a portable and home console, the power is good enough for new AAA 1st party and some 3rd party titles, PS3/360/Wii U ports and some Xbone/PS4 ports, mainly the controller traditional and the system is very easy to develop for.

I've considered a New 3DS XL since the control scheme seems fine but I'd rather play on a big screen if given the choice.

8. jmhannz

jmhannz GBAtemp Fan

Apr 4, 2017
    United States
    AHem, do not buy this used on ebay, preowned or anything. Nintendo sells it directly for $200 shipped to your door with everything, refurbished. And their refurbs come with a 12 month warranty and return policy and generally are 100% new parts, as mine is as well. Just picked up and CFW'd. DONE!

biggan1 likes this.
  9. Shady Guy Jose

Shady Guy Jose GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2008
    Portugal
    GameCube controller was my all-time favorite, actually. But on-topic: unless the Wii and Wii U combined have a lot of games you wanna try, then I don't really see the need, since the Wii U's library is quite poor and some games may even get Switch releases.

10. jmhannz

jmhannz GBAtemp Fan

Apr 4, 2017
    United States
    well with a Wii U, you could play Wii, and gamecube?, and just enjoy your not modded Switch as its not possible? :D

11. Shady Guy Jose

Sep 14, 2008
    Portugal
    True, we could add GameCube games to the mix, and in that case, the three generations have a LOT of good games. But the conclusion remains the same: for the Wii U library itself, not worth it at this time. If the Wii and GameCube games you can play on it are a dealmaker, then go right ahead.

12. H1B1Esquire

H1B1Esquire RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    ....it's a good TV remote.

If I were you, I'd just buy it and enjoy while the servers are still up. Don't know if you play it, but I just got into MH3U--it's like PSO, but a bit different; I recommend.

Plus, the gamepad is one of the coolest innovations in games when they aren't shoving it down your throat, like Captain Toad and those minecart levels. Good news is, in most games you can turn motion control off or use the 80+ hour-on-a-single-charge pro controller.

Plus all the Wii emu, but the best part= DS* games on a big screen. And they support save states.
    *Not all DS games are injectable. Subject to title availability. Taxes and fees probably won't apply.

Last edited by H1B1Esquire, May 1, 2017
    biggan1 likes this.
  13. DeoNaught

DeoNaught ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Aug 22, 2016
    United States
    Over there ;)
    Yes, you should buy a wii u, it can emulate ds, gba, gbc, gb, N64, sega, nes, snes, and the games on it are amazing.

14. depaul

depaul GBAtemp Regular

May 21, 2014
    France
    I'm not really arguing here but the WiiU itself has a lot of good games to discover, if you never had one. I'd even say that I'm using my Wii U even more than my PS4 and my Switch. This generation of consoles just sucks.

biggan1 likes this.
  15. Shady Guy Jose

Sep 14, 2008
    Portugal
    I have a Wii U myself, and while I enjoyed the few games I did play on it, I couldn't justify buying one now if not for the Wii/GC back catalog. I liked quite a few games, but the only system-sellers for me were Super Smash Bros. and Xenoblade Chronicles X. Wind Waker and Twilight Princess would be worthwhile for someone who hasn't played the originals, though.

16. biggan1

biggan1 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 9, 2016
    Xenoblade chronicles was updated for the 3ds though, which is Still alive. Sceptical IF they port it go switch.

17. Nemix77
    OP

May 30, 2009
    Canada
    Thanks for the all the comments guys...I've decided to pick up a used but pretty much in mint condition New 3DS XL (Dual IPS/Red) from a local seller.

I think I'll enjoy the New 3DS XL a bit more than a Wii U despite it being on a smaller handheld device, there's a big selection of games on the 3DS plus DS backwards compatibility and the Virtual Console.

Hopefully he has not sold the unit yet...

biggan1 likes this.
  18. biggan1

biggan1 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 9, 2016
    I recently got both systems myself for a bargain. While I really enjoy the 3ds despite that I cant stand out with the 3d. Makes me dizzy in a few minutes. It has a really big archive once cfw is setup etc.

Ive played hundreds of hours on My n3dsxl. But once I got my Wii u not too Long Ago, the 3ds has been sitting. Theres some games that can be played in the Wii u controller, botw for example, not portable but like a switch option..lol

Im more into the Wii u tbh but the future will tell.

Anyways both are Good systems still in 2017. Aslong as you dont get a 3ds that has the newest firmware, Since it cant be hacked atm. So check that out if you go for 3ds!

Good luck :)

Nemix77 likes this.
  19. sks316

sks316 Retro Enthusiast

Nov 28, 2013
    United States
    Hyrule
    Most would say no, but with my experience with the Wii U, I say DO IT. You'll never be able to play exclusives like Nintendo Land or Super Mario 3D World on other platforms, including Switch!

biggan1 likes this.
  20. Felek666

Felek666 Archdemon | #AMDForever

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    reddit.com/r/satania/
    Go for it! Wii U is a very powerful console and it's absolutely worth it!

biggan1 likes this.