Overclock Phat Ds

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by gudenaurock, Aug 19, 2012.

Aug 19, 2012

Overclock Phat Ds by gudenaurock at 3:29 AM (983 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. gudenaurock
    OP

Member gudenaurock Never a unique idea

United States
    I would like to know how to overclock the phat ds, to have a switch to control it, as I would like some parts of games to go faster. I know that all this will do is make the games faster and drain the battery, I just want to mod it.
    Bonus: Know of any replacement shells I could get?

2. yuyuyup

Member yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I've only heard of Lites capable of overclocking

3. Tom

Member Tom Gbatemp's Unofficial Modder

United States
    Overclocking makes the processor run faster, It will still play a slow part if its meant to be slow ex: the credits at the end of every pokemon game.

4. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    That's assuming that the game speed isn't tied directly to the processor speed. While systems with variable speeds (like the PC) will do manual timings for things like that (or do it by screen refresh rate), things that run at a set speed (like the DS) have no technical issue with doing timings according to the clock rate (since a cycle is a static recurring event with a set period).

So this would actually speed up those sections too, from what I know.

5. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    The DS has two processors so be sure to get both if you do head down this path (I do not know if it is derived clocks at this point or if you want to attack it from there)- most things (vblank timings and such) should fall in line from here although I am not sure about ghosting on screens and wifi might be challenged by this. This said the ARM7 is not that heavily tied to the ARM9 so something might work still.

If it is just for some games it is probably going to be easier to hack the game- many things I have seen are designed to end naturally (add 2 to the X and Y coordinate every vblank and stopping when you get to 20 but will probably still work if you just jump to 20) and you might not even have to take it to ASM for some things (animations, text and more which usually take the time are often quite high level and fairly variable within themselves so it will hopefully not sit with a static frame for a given period).

Looking at the old GBAccelerator forums some of the games did not care for it although one of those was Portrait of ruin which has a noted race issue/coding issue.

6. gudenaurock
    OP

United States
    I understand that it might make the screens render funny, and should be easier to mod the games, I just want to know how one would do the hardware mod. :-)

7. Ykr1113

Member Ykr1113 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Their was a High Speed processing code for Pokémon HG/SS.

8. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    All that did was remove the framerate limit which only affected situations where there wasn't any 3D rendering going on (such as when in the menus), and that's limited and just for one (pair of) game(s).

9. gudenaurock
    OP

United States
    Still no hardware...