Over-consumption of energy drinks

Hachibei

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Right, so lately I've been drinking energy drinks more often than regular pop, or anything else for that matter, and I've been wondering: are there any horrible side-effects from drinking more than 1 per 24 hours?

Also, if anyone needs to know, I'm drinking Monster.

Salamantis

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You become addicted to them, since your body always thinks you need more and more, the sugar is very unhealthy and it can cause huge headaches/stomach aches.

[M]artin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Horrible side-effects? I would say...

Massive damage to your wallet. Those beasts are expensive as hell when compared to, say, a can of Coke.
laugh.gif

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Hachibei said:
[...] I've been wondering: are there any horrible side-effects from drinking more than 1 per 24 hours?Probably not, but maybe you should know that some energy drinks (like a lot of other soft drinks, too) contain Sodium Benzoate, which is linked to ADHD.

WikipediaResearch published in 2007 for the UK's Food Standards Agency suggests that sodium benzoate (E211) is linked to hyperactive behaviour and decreased intelligence in children. According to the report, a high consumption of sodium benzoate is associated with a reduction in IQ of close to 5.5 points. [12] On 6 September 2007, the British Food Standards Agency issued revised advice on certain artificial food additives, including sodium benzoate (E211)

OTOH, when you're drinking heavily caffeinated drinks hyperactivity possibly is a wanted side effect...
wink.gif

Awdofgum

Wadofgum
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're only active 2-3 hours after you drink them and then you crash and feel worse than before.
I don't like them and if you really needed energy there's always that "5 Hour Energy" drink.
Energy drinks seem like they are the alternate to beer nowadays, for teenagers at least.

Hachibei

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Heart attacks and ADHD?! Alright, I think I've been sufficiently scared enough to not drink these things anymore...

Sephi

fool
Trophies
Website
nov.us.to
XP
Country
United States
Hachibei said:
Right, so lately I've been drinking energy drinks more often than regular pop, or anything else for that matter, and I've been wondering: are there any horrible side-effects from drinking more than 1 per 24 hours?

Also, if anyone needs to know, I'm drinking Monster.
I've drank multiple Red Bulls in just about an hour before and nothing happened. So if you have 3 random energy drinks throughout the day you'll be fine, but if you do it every day for a while you'll get some side effects.

I love monster, Assault is my favorite.

356183896808774280.jpg

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just drank 2 Amp: Relaunches(the orange ones with the extra electrolytes(what plants crave) and B-vitamins) in the last 2&1/2 hours, and nothing's happened to me yet.

At the local "internet cafe", which is really just where people come to play Halo 3 on a 42" Plasma TV, you can only buy Monsters, Starbucks Frappachinos, and Mountain Dew, so we're all at high risk around here, like the time I drank 2 normal Monsters and a Java Monster(they were on sale). Nothing out of the ordinary happened.

tojomajojo

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
lol energy drinks i used to be addicted to those... the only side effect i had was waking up at 12-2pm feeling like crap otherwise i was fine

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
well there's sugar, that's not good for you in these amounts..
and i think more than 5 red bulls are a no no. Because it makes your stomach acid-ish...

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JPH said:
Also, I heard they stunt your growth :teach

If they actually do, it'll just catch up in a huge growth spurt all at once. My brother's friend, who drinks a shitload of Monster and Mountain Dew, has grown 4 or 5 inches in the last month and a half.

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
My name is Henry and I am an ex-Energydrinkaholic.

I got to the point where I was drinking a Full Throttle every day because my body was relying on it to stay active. If I stopped I went into depression because the massive sugar high makes you crash hard. It got to the point where I was addicted for months, and then I started having headaches daily. I went to the doctor, they did some blood tests, and my liver was acting up. One of my liver functions was elevated higher than normal which can be dangerous, and it was because I drank one of these every day for a few months. I have been clean from them for 5 weeks now, have had 1 headache since, and tons of energy. I am also now able to work out every day plus do my 12 hour shift at the office.

It's not something you want to get in to. Take it from someone who has experience
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ